Author Topic: Need help getting back on track with my 14 month old!  (Read 1352 times)

Offline sparklewings1984

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Need help getting back on track with my 14 month old!
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:49:08 am »
Hi all, I've hit a new problem and really need some help or just confirmation that what I'm planning on doing is the right thing. I'll have to set the story....

14 month old boy, still on omeprazole for reflux and still cannot tolerate cow's milk. Very sensitive tummy, we often have tummy aches followed by crying and then farting. He's a touchy baby, I think mainly down to all his digestive issues! Once we hit the right level of omeprazole and got him fully onto a bottle so there was no hidden dairy slipping into my breastmilk, he's been a great sleeper and  napper from about 8.5 months old. He would go to sleep independently 90% of the time, and then I would usually only have to go into him if he lost his teddies in the cot, so run in, find the teddies and then he would resettle himself. I would say maybe 1 night per week, he was having a proper wake-up with crying. I would give him a quick cuddle, still in his bedroom, and then lay him back down and settle him in the cot.

I went back to work part-time 3 days a week at the beginning of October, and he is now with a childminder 3 days a week. We've basically had illness ever since the second week of October. Cough and cold, ear infection, ear infection, chest infection.... and then 1 month ago he ended up in hospital and had to undergo quite a serious operation to remove some infected bone behind the ear (next to the skull). We had an awful hospital experience, and basically were kept nil by mouth for far too long because of delays from the hospital (14 hours of nil by mouth before he was sedated for a CT scan!). I was pacing the corridors of the ward, carrying DS whilst he was pretty much constantly crying. He would cry when my husband took over to give me a break, and would only go to sleep if I was cuddling him constantly.  :'(

So this was almost 1 month ago, and since we came out of hospital, he then had a digestive reaction to the antibiotics with sickness and diarrhoea for a week. Once he got past that, he was happy as larry for 3 or 4 days, and started to sleep fairly well again in his cot at night after helped him get back on track. A few times he would wake and need a lot of cuddling to get back to sleep, but then would go back into his cot evertually. He's now been back at the childminders for 2 weeks, and straight away picked up another cough and has been really ill again. On top of that, we had his (very delayed) 12 month vaccines yesterday.

My problem then.... he won't stay in his cot at night! He's napping for 1.5-2 hours in the day like always, and he will settle in his cot from being totally awake at bedtime, with only a minute or two of protesting. He will sleep until 9/10/11pm and then once he wakes crying, it's impossible to get him back to sleep in his cot, so I've been co-sleeping with him for the last 2 weeks from the point that he first wakes in the night.

I'm thinking that I just need to bite the bullet and be firm with him to get him back on track. My plan is that from Friday (so OH can help out if I'm tired in the day), under no circumstances to pick him up and out of the cot. When he cries, go into him and sit by the side of his cot reassuring him, with my hand through the bars if he needs it. Get him to lie down and go to sleep. Does this sound like the right plan???  I know he can do it, and I've used this method to get him back on track before, but we've had such an awful 2 months that I've been too weak and tired at night to go through with it. I think I just need to write this to commit myself to this weekend, and I'll come back with updates on how it's going for accountability!

Offline sparklewings1984

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Need help getting back on track with my 14 month old!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 12:00:46 pm »
Oh and just a bit more info, before he was ill, so at 13 months old, EASY was like this:

WU 7/7.30am
S 12.30pm - 2/2.30pm
BT 7.30pm

So we have been on 1 nap solidly since around 12 months, usually getting a 1.5-2.5 hour nap and 11.5-12 hour nighttime. Everything is all over the place at the minute though and we are back on 2 naps as he is so tired from all the illness!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:45:13 am »
Is he currently ill? If so I would wait a bit to start your plan but otherwise what you suggest is pretty much what I did with DD3 around 18 months. (Granted she was mad but never got so upset that I felt the need to pick her up - she doesn't even sit up when she has a nw now, just lays and waits for me to sit by her crib and see what is up). 

Which vaccinations did he get? Some do have a bit of a delayed reaction (mmr I think is one or mmrv depending where you are!) so also something to consider.
Heidi

Offline sparklewings1984

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 20:47:08 pm »
Hi, thanks for the reply.

He had MMR, men c, pneumonia etc. It's hard to tell if he's still ill to be honest, it's been so long since he was normal! I noticed last night his first molar is cutting through too, so it all seems to be adding up to the grumpy baby for the past week! I think I will go with my plan tomorrow, he's not properly I'll now, just has a little cough, teething and the aftermath of the jabs...

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 04:23:12 am »
Good luck! Fx that it goes as smoothly as it can.
Heidi

Offline sparklewings1984

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 22:39:39 pm »
I'm at a loss... I tried and failed :( I went through 10 nights of keeping him in the cot, I even slept on his bedroom floor for 2 nights but things weren't getting any better so I gave in on the 11th night when I was exhausted and he ended up back in our bed.

I'm confused as to what the problem is. I bought Tracy's toddler book and using the ABCs I think the antecedent was that he was ill and didn't want to be away from me, the behaviour is that he cries when he cannot find me in the night and the consequence is that I take him into our bed. It's strange, he has no problem settling for naps or at bedtime without me staying in the room. He protest cries for 1-2 minutes and then settles down and gets comfy and goes to sleep.

At night, he always seems to wake at about 4-4.5 hours after bedtime. Occasionally I've been able to resettle him quickly. Other times it turns into full blown screaming, grabbing for me through the cot, standing up, throwing head back wailing, reaching to be picked up. I give him ibuprofen before bed every night as he is still teething (2 molars came through last week and I think a canine is now on its way), do you think the 4-4.5 hours is when the medication is wearing off?

What else can I try? I need to get some sleep again!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 04:48:02 am »
Yikes...sorry to say but canines were the worst here! If he just got molars and is already getting more teeth my bet is on it being the meds wearing off...you can actually alternate ibuprofen and tylenol if it gets really bad. My DD1 had horrid sleep when she was teething at this age - I remember nights spent rocking her incessantly no matter what meds I had given.

Are you doing one nap or two?
Heidi

Offline sparklewings1984

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 19:22:03 pm »
Yes I tend to give ibuprofen at bedtime and then paracetamol if he wakes. Paracetamol seems to do nothing for his pain though, it never has!

He's been on 1 nap since around 12 months and was coping fine with it. I tried to get him to sleep after only a 4hour A time the other morning and he hated it and cried for 30 mins and then I still couldn't get an extra nap in! He seemed to be doing about 4.5-5 hours A, then a 1hr 20-1hr 40 nap, then 5-6hr A to bed. His naps used to be 2 hours or more but now shortened.

He's also just started walking in the last week, I'm sure that's not helping!?

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 02:19:46 am »
Ah that would make a difference - physical development always threw a wrench in sleep for us, both before and after the skill emerged! Lol I never even thought to ask about walking. That and teeth is kind of a perfect storm. I would try to stick to the routine as much as possible and ride it out. If the first wake at night is so predictable have you ever tried w2s to see if you can stop it?
Heidi