Author Topic: Paci or no Paci?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Paci or no Paci?
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:25:44 am »
(Not sure where to post this question)

Wondering what experiences have been with using Pacifiers?

Recently, my 4.5mo old LO had her first cold. In my attempts to soothe her, I offered her a binki which she until then always rejected. To my surprise she took it.

Now what I am wondering is if I should continue using it? My first child never took one, so I have no idea how to use one "appropriately". I know Tracy has some strong opinions on pacifier use, so I am hesitant to make it a habit.

Is it a good idea to offer one when going to sleep? I just did and she dozed off a few minutes later. Yay, I think.  ???
Also, what about in the middle of the night? She wakes up a lot (I'll post my questions about that elsewhere) and when I've given her a binki, she's happily taken it and gone back to sleep.

So, before I get too dependent on it, I need some advice first! Thank you! ;D

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Paci or no Paci?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 19:51:58 pm »
Anyone want to weigh in on this? Please?  :)

Offline Jodes112

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 19:56:54 pm »
In my opinion, i wouldnt allow the paci. Thats just me!

My dd had the paci from around 4 weeks as she was terrible at settling. At 12 weeks she had dropped night feeds (just an early morning one) but would wake 3/4 times each night just to have the paci replugged. I couldnt hold off for her to be at the age to replace on her own so we removed it. It was hard but worth it as we all slept better once it was gone. She learned to settle herself.

So in my opinion, if she doesnt NEED it, i wouldt start it. You only have to take it from her at some point which is usually not an easy process!
Jody
 xx

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 20:21:07 pm »
I'm just going to bump you in the hope that someone else with paci experience sees this - I'm afraid I don't :-\ Thanks Jodes for sharing yours :)

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 21:00:16 pm »
We needed the dummy here, it was a lifesaver but I wouldn't have introduced it at this age.

Offline nixm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:53:52 am »
I would ditch it if you can! Sounds just like my dd (5mo). She never wanted the dummy but I kept on offering cause I thought it would help her settle etc. and I didn't see the harm if it meant she would settle easily. Well now my baby that has sttn since 5 weeks is waking up countless times at night cause the dummy fell out. In the beginning she just needed it to fall asleep and it would fall out, no big deal she would just sleep further. Slowly but surely she got more reliant on it and now she can't settle without it. We are having a very rough time now trying to ditch it. So if she can settle without it, personally I would go with that.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:28:54 am »
Thanks! I was told by a friend that it helped her baby sleep through the night because he got used to just sucking but not having his tummy filled. I'm gonna ditch it during the day but what about in the middle of the night? When dropping a feed or resettling?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 12:35:44 pm »
Be back later, but LO1 had/needed soother from 3 days old! Was a major sleep cue and really helped him. Some babies just need them. And that's ok.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 15:54:15 pm »
I love dummies. Love them. Will post more after bedtime.

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 20:07:52 pm »
Hello! Firstly, I think it's a very personal thing. I am a bit snobbish about the look of them....but I love how well they work!!

My little twin is a thumb sucker  :o which is a nightmare now as his thumb is always sore and cracked. Big twin started to take a dummy at about 3 months old....and it changed our lives!! Suddenly other people could soothe him, his sleep got loads better, he had awful reflux and even that seemed better. He is 2.5 now and still has it - it's only ever been for in bed and although we did go through having to put it back in for him he learned to do it himself really quickly. And he LOVES it - his reflux made him so hard to comfort as he didn't like feeding or cuddles....and once he had a dummy he would relax enough to be soothed, and he and I could really build our relationship. Also....my nephew is a very similar boy in terms of temperament and my sister in law wouldn't use a dummy and Es quite critical of me doing it. My nephew is still up all night (nearly 3), has been sleep trained multiple times with limited success.

I would be strict about using them just for sleep though - then they become a brilliant sleep cue! Big twin is starting to not be that bothered about his so I am sure we will be able to get rid of it without too much drama once he is ready.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 20:10:15 pm »
^^ totally agree.

We only ever used it for sleep and with my sensitive spirited boy it really helped.  People seem to have very strong opinions about them but BW is about listening to your baby... some babies say 'I want to have a dummy'.  (My other baby said 'no way'!)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 21:46:07 pm »
Dummy certainly didn't help removing night feeds here - if DS woke and was hungry, he would spit the dummy back out and scream. Rarely did he wake just for the dummy (I know that's not always the experience, of course).

At the end of the day, she's your baby. You know her best, listen to her and do as your mummy instinct says xx