Author Topic: bottle and solids schedule help  (Read 7703 times)

Offline haleytreat

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 22:45:13 pm »
She isn't the best at drinking from cup. She knows how she just doesn't drink a lot. Is this normal?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: bottle and solids schedule help
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 09:31:32 am »
I am on 3 bottles but curious does it matter when I give the middle bottle? Also what is typical time frame for solids after a bottle?
If you have a little look back this was covered previously. For you, if you are still on the same routine it would be either the 11.30 or 3.30 for the bottle (and the other time would be the snack). It is tricky to say exactly when milk/snacks and solids should be as LOs routine for sleep vary so much with some already on one naps, some on two and with some a long nap morning or a long nap afternoon... so like I said before, one of those regular E times is the bottle the other is the snack, then the bottle switches to a snack making 2 bottles (WU and BT). As Laura has said some LO like that bottle before their nap.
Solids times also depend on your routine but roughly an hour after milk (or snack), yes.

She isn't the best at drinking from cup. She knows how she just doesn't drink a lot. Is this normal?
Quite normal.
Some won't take milk from a cup but might do better with a straw.
Mine has always been a step or three behind on what he will drink his milk out of compared to what he will happily drink water out of. So when he was drinking water form a sippy cup he wouldn't take more than a few sips of milk from a sippy and needed a bottle and then he accepted the straw.  When he took water form an open cup he continued to need a straw for milk...and then accepted milk (proper full drink of milk I mean, not sips) in a sippy cup.  He now takes a big milk drink from a proper open cup rather than straw or sippy cup.
You might have more luck with a straw or even a sport bottle (which I know is another bottle but a bit more grown up than a baby bottle).

Offline haleytreat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2016, 16:56:12 pm »
Ok thank you! I guess I am just curious as to when I should start transitioning going to solids before milk during the day. Now or wait till 12 months. I have a hard time at times getting in all the solid meals and snacks and wonder if I am feeding her enough. I started a water bottle type and she seems to do better with that than a sippy cup. Thank you!

Offline creations

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 07:35:51 am »
Some people move to solids before milk if LO is not taking enough solids. If I remember correctly Laura (who posted above) switched to breakfast solids first, milk later, because if milk was first LO wasn't interested in breakfast.  But if the meals are being taken well then there is no need to change any of the timings.
Mine is 5yo and still has WU milk, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and really the only change in timings is that once he started school there wasn't an hour between milk and breakfast, otherwise the times are basically the same as when he was a baby it's just that he has solid food rather than milk.

Offline haleytreat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 18:52:50 pm »
Oh ok. Makes sense. So if she starts to lose interest in solids try the switch to see if that makes a difference. Thank you! Also if I remember correctly I should wean the middle bottle soon anyway Because at 12 months no bottles should be given, besides wu & bt, am I understanding correctly?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 19:37:33 pm »
You are right Creations!

We switched the morning milk to mid morning snack just after she turned 1 as she wasn't eating any breakfast. My DD dropped the bedtime milk at 18 months too.
Also if I remember correctly I should wean the middle bottle soon anyway Because at 12 months no bottles should be given, besides wu & bt, am I understanding correctly?

The recs are for no bottles after 1, not even wake up and bedtime because they *should* be switched to cups for oral development and to protect teeth. That said, many keep the wake up and bedtime bottle for a while yet. As I said, my DD moved from a wake up bottle to a mid morning sippy of milk just after 12 months and I swapped her bedtime bottle to a sippy of milk at about 18 months and she just started choosing not to drink it soon after. My DS had a bedtime bottle until he was about 2.5. We tried to swap it for a sippy several times but gave up in the end as he was very attached to the bottle.

If you continue to give a bottle make sure they drink up the milk quickly and you take the bottle away so they aren't sucking on it for long periods. At bedtime you need to make sure you clean teeth after milk and before sleep.

Laura

Offline haleytreat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2016, 00:36:53 am »
should  I be putting the formula in the sippy cups or is water ok- asking about the milk feeds for during day. You probably answered that already but I lose track of what I've already asked!!  ::)

It just dawned on me with taking away the bottle, I took that as use water in sippy cup but now I'm wondering if I should be putting formula in the cup until age 1 

Offline creations

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2016, 08:15:01 am »
For the  mid morning and mid afternoon bottles that you switch to a solids snack it is fine to offer water in a cup, LO still has TWO good milk drinks at WU and BT.
That said if you want to put formula in the sippy, you can.  Personally I would offer water as well as they should have water available if they are taking solids. So either one sippy of water or two sippy cups one water one milk.

Laura has already covered the bottle recs thing from 1yo.
My route - I switched BT bottle to a solids supper with sippy of milk at 12 months (roughly an hour before BT) by doing a gentle wean over about a week where I offered the solids and sippy milk then at BT reduced the milk bottle by a bit each night until after about 7-10 days he only had water in a bottle he didn't need to 'drink' but had a few sips if he wanted.  Once he was happy with that I switched to a sippy cup of water which goes by his bed in case he is thirsty just before BT.
The other bottle, WU, I needed mine to have a big milk drink, it took 1 month of trying to switch him off the bottle. At 13 months that bottle was gone and he took his morning milk with a straw.
Personally I wanted the bottles gone, not only the recs but I was fed up of them!  I was able to get rid of the steriliser and free up some kitchen unit space as soon as that last bottle was switched.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2016, 13:15:47 pm »
My 2 year 8 month old still drinks her morning milk from a very bottle like sippy with the nipple part slit entirely open...but she pounds it back in about 30 seconds so there is no carting it around and causing dental issues. So it isn't the bottle per se but what they do with it. I do not sterilize it anymore and it just goes in with the regular dishes (and we only have one of that style bottle).
Heidi

Offline haleytreat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 13:37:56 pm »
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice!!!