Author Topic: 3 mo old waking up all hours of the night  (Read 1387 times)

Offline starburst15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3 mo old waking up all hours of the night
« on: January 05, 2016, 18:08:47 pm »
Help!!  Our 3 mo old has been fussy and waking up at all hours of the night for the past few weeks. He goes to bed at 8pm and is up at 9:30pm, followed by 11pm, 1am, 2:30am, 3:30am etc.  After 3:30am, he is fussy until 6am when he falls asleep again (unless I hold him - then he'll fall asleep no problem).  He's not acting hungry, he's just waking himself up and can't soothe himself back to sleep.   As soon as I pick him up, he falls asleep.  As soon as I put him down, he wakes up immediately and starts crying again.  I tried the ssh-pat but it only escalates his cries.  I've tried to  fall asleep patting him, but he just keeps crying (and I feel terrible).  The pacifier helps, but I have to hold it for him -as soon as it falls out, he wakes up crying again.  He fights the swaddle so I haven't been swaddling him.  But he seems to wake up constantly because of the Moro reflex with his arms.  I'm not sure what to do.  His daytime naps are sporadic and he's awake MUCH more than he should be. He sleeps for 45 minutes 2 or 3 times a day.  We're lucky if he gets one 2-hour nap.  He's our 2nd child, so he gets dragged around to a lot of places and activities with our 2-year old son.  I assume that's a big problem for his nap schedule - but I don't know how to fix that issue.

Other info:  I went back to work a few weeks ago from maternity leave. Could the wakings be a result of that?  AND, he appears to be teething.  He is drooling really bad and his hands are constantly in his mouth.  That seems to be a big problem when swaddling - he wants his hands in his mouth.  Lastly, he is fighting the bottle feeding and won't eat all of the bottles that were pumped for him during the day.  He SHOULD be hungry but he's not acting like it?  He's got a lot of wet diapers, so I know he's getting enough food.  It's a little less than usual but not noticeably less.  I have been tracking it since birth.

Thank you for any advice!!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 3 mo old waking up all hours of the night
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 19:33:16 pm »
That many NW's I would actually presume discomfort. Have you checked for reflux at all?

It would be early for teething but not unheard of. I wonder if he's OT by BT too based on those NW's in the early part of the night. As you know those short naps aren't going to be doing him many favours. Has he always short napped or is it a recent thing?

Remember you are there with him soothing him using the ssh/pat. It's not nice hearing a child cry but you mustn't feel terrible. This is not CIO he's just using the only way of communicating with you that he knows how and you're asking him to go back to sleep. This is not a bad thing at all, it's just frustrating for you.

I think he's a little young to experience separation anxiety from you going back to work. I think it's more of a case of OT and actually discomfort. So again, lease don't beat yourself up about that. Although you have lots of ((hugs)) from me. I can't believe you're working and have a 2yo and 3mo, that's amazing.

I'm going to find the link about reflux, could you have a read through it for me and see if anything stands out. The fact he's taking less feeds, I do wonder if something is going on there. How are the feeds spaced currently? Xx

Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Offline starburst15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 19:54:09 pm »
Thank you for your response!  Our 2 year old had severe reflux, but this little guy doesn't seem to have it (the dr doesn't seem to think so either).  I think he's extremely OT, I just don't know how to fix it.  He used to nap all day long as a newborn.  It was amazing. He could sleep through anything for the first 2 months.  After 2 months, he napped less and less. We started putting him in a quiet room to nap.  It doesn't seem to help though.  After 45 minutes, he wakes up on cue.  He looks around for 5 minutes and is wide awake. We don't rush in to rescue him - but he certainly doesn't go back to sleep.   He eats (BF) every 2.5-3 hours.  He'll go longer than that during the day if he's given a bottle, though, because he is not liking the bottle yet. thanks for your help!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 19:41:22 pm »
How long is his A time currently? I'm thinking waking at 45mins could be UT but you did mention before his A time is inconsistent, so it'd be hard to tell. Sometimes it's purely developmental this wakimg at 45mins, but we tend to find that around 4mo, some can start earlier though.

I would double check the A times, if it's close to the average, I might think about extending by 10misn and using w2s to see if that'll help prolong the nap. Did you use that with your 2yo? I would try at around 35mins after he's gone to sleep. I'll post a link for you to have a read through... If you could let me know what the last day looked like in real time in easy format for me, I'll take a look and see what we can tweak for you. Sorry for the hurried post, I'm running out of battery  ;) xx

How to address habitual wakings (w2s and other methods)

Offline Kangarruu

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Guppy
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 17:36:38 pm »
I agree with Kellyjs. We were going through something similar when our 4 mo was 3 mo.  We saw improvement with pushing the A time twice already. At 3 months I stared pushing him towards 1.5 hours and now to 2 hours. He started fighting sleep less and less and his naps got longer. Initially I thought his crankiness at naptime was OT but I realized afterwards it was UT and he was resisting the naps because he wasn't ready for sleep yet. The increase in A time helped calm him down. I also realized the winddown ritual became a lot more important at 3-3.5 months when he became more aware. Previously I would swaddle him and plop him in and he'd be fine. Now I swaddle, rock in the chair while reading a book for 5 min and have seen improvement. I hope this helps for you!