Author Topic: Screaming 13 month old at naps and NW. Not sure what happened  (Read 807 times)

Offline Anders45

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Screaming 13 month old at naps and NW. Not sure what happened
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:49:34 am »
K. So my little was sleeping so well. He has always been like an angel baby when it comes to sleeping. I'd put him to sleep and he'd babble a little to himself or brother and then drift off for 1.5 hours and then was awake and happy and off he'd go. About two weeks ago we did the 2:1 transition and he did great, maybe a little grumpy right before his bedtime, but he still went down without a catch. Then suddenly, like two days ago he just started screaming inconsolably when I put him down for naps and bedtime and when he'd wake up at night (NW aren't consistent at all). There are a few things I can think of that may have caused this, but I'm not sure how to remedy it.

1) We were at my parents' house for a week. There are lots of cats and I think he might have picked up something from that house. 2) I think he may be getting a molar... Not sure because some days I can see it and some days I can't...3) we let my in laws watch them overnight and I wonder if that may have traumatized him (though they said that he woke up happy and was playing really well after a big breakfast...). So yeah. Oh and I'm pregnant.

Here is our current schedule:
6:30 WU
7:00 breakfast
9:30 snack
11:00 (or noon, depending on how they are acting) nap
1:00 WU
1:30 lunch
3:00 snack
5:30 dinner
7:00 BT

Does any of this seem like it is off for a 13 month old? Any idea how to help him feel comfortable going to bed on his own again? The last two or three days I've cuddled him until he falls asleep because he'll scream and thrash otherwise.

Offline Anders45

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Screaming 13 month old at naps and NW. Not sure what happened
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 19:52:05 pm »
Any input would be appreciated...

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Screaming 13 month old at naps and NW. Not sure what happened
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 21:35:18 pm »
Well, it sounds like something you may have to ride out with gradual withdrawal.

It could well be any one of or a combination of these:
1. You being pregnant
2. Being out of routine
3. Coming down with illness
4. Teething
5. Wonder week / developmental stuff
6. 2-1 transition recently - almost always OT results and its not avoidable, just something that has to be done
7. Having IL's watching him - could just be that he's always had you there when he's woken and realising its possible you won't be has been unpleasant for him

In any case, provide the comfort and security he needs in a way that you can gradually withdraw from as he becomes less scared. Think about this method being something you can do when heavily pregnant because pregnancy and new baby is a big thing for him too and will likely cause sleep disturbance.