Author Topic: Encouraging earlier BT  (Read 771 times)

Offline adebac

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 06, 2016, 19:45:54 pm »
Hi! I am new to the board and looking to start EASY more formally in hopes of achieving an earlier BT. I EBF on demand which typically translates to every 3 hours and we follow the EASY format. DD is 10 weeks and will not fall asleep for the night until I go to bed around 11ish. She sleeps in my arms from 8-11ish, albeit slightly unsettled. We do a feed, a bath, pjs, and massage after she wakes up from a cat nap in the evening. Typically anywhere from 7-9. She then sleeps in my arms while DH and I get watch TV until I go to bed at 11ish. I have to lull her back to sleep many times during this period. I change her diaper and feed her at 11pm. She wakes usually around 4am, then 7:30ish. But she typically feeds in her sleep and barely opens her eyes at the 7:30 feed. Then she wakes around 9-10am all wide eyed and chipper.

We tried at 6 weeks to put her down around 8ish but we ended up having to resettle her every 15 minutes or so until I finally came to bed. After 4 nights I decided she wasn't ready.
Last two nights we tried again but it was like she knew it was coming. She started crying right after bath and continued to cry for 2+ hours while we tried to bounce, shh, walk her. Her feed at this time was also terrible since she was so worked up. Pretty much everything we could think of. At this point, I'm not quite sure how to get her down any earlier without her freaking out. Any tips?

I should add I watch her sleep cues and she has a WT of typically an hour and naps 4-5 times a day. I don't have an typical day but WU is between 9-10am and BT is typically 11-11:30 after she feeds. She sleeps in my room in the RnP due to spitting up. Naps are in her room on her tummy in her crib, in my arms or in a baby carrier.

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Encouraging earlier BT
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 03:25:33 am »
Hi there. I am wondering, even though it may seem painful to do so, you may have to start waking her earlier so that her 12 hour day is beginning at a time that is desirable in the PM. Say, you want a 8pm bedtime, you may need to wake her at 8am and really stick with it for a few days. How are her naps? You may be able to work up to a 1.5 hour wake time and see what sort of day sleep you get. It will be hard to shift her day from that end, but it may be she simply hasn't had enough total A time to be ready for bed. Could you post a typical day in EASY format?

Maryn

[/url]