Author Topic: Set naps for 7 month old?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Set naps for 7 month old?
« on: January 06, 2016, 21:34:48 pm »
Hello! I'm curious about how to do set naps. Is it based off A times?

My DS is teething so it unclear what A times fit right now but I guess I'm wondering if I should just do set naps to make it easier? Is it advisable for an LO that's teething? How long does it take to get them accustomed? How do I know it wouldn't work?

Here's his routine that I have been aiming for:

WU
A 3hrs
S
A 3hrs
S
A 2.5-2.75
BT

Right now we are struggling with multiple NW; sometimes long ones;and EWs as well as broken naps. He's currently cutting two bottom teeth that are almost fully out.

Jennifer xx

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Set naps for 7 month old?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:36 am »
I did set naps for all my kids by this point (I am impatient and hated faffing around with A times lol!). What I did was tried to observe tired signs or what A time got a decent nap and then base my set times off of that. DD3 kind of got the short end of the stick as I had to work around 2 much older siblings schedues but luckily she was never big day sleeper anyways! If sleep is already all over the place it would certainly give you both something to go by and hopefully it will help! One thing though is to make sure somewhere in there is the opportunity to tack on - ie my DD3 has no naps now so on days I am home I allow her to wake on her own. That is the only drawback to all set times if there is nowhere for a catch up!
Heidi

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 04:03:47 am »
Thanks for replying!

So how would I create an opportunity to tack on sleep? My DS has tacked on sleep before but not much. He's definitely not high sleep needs either. He averages about 14 hours daily give or take 30 minutes.
So it sounds like I just need a consistent wake up and from there set naps, give or take 15 minutes, according to appropriate A. How long does it take to adjust? How did teething affect this?
Jennifer xx

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:17:40 am »
I would say let him wake himself from one nap as much as possible (maye the first one so you have wiggle room!)

Tbh my kids are all spirited and handle ot really well so there was no adjustment time! Teething meant nw's usually naps were fine (DD1 was a horrid teether! Luckily her sisters were not as bad). Usually the only thing that threw set times out was illness or an incredibly bad night.
Heidi

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 09:29:03 am »
That sounds great! So with naps, I would limit the other such as the pm nap?

What was a typical schedule for a 7 month old?

Particularly wondering about the last A to BT.

Thank you so much!
Jennifer xx

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 13:43:23 pm »
Yes I would adjust the pm nap if needed to keep bedtime in order!

The A to bed is really dependent on what the lo likes - some thrive on a longer A time to bed while.others like it shorter. Might have to do a bit of experimenting there to see what suits!
Heidi

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 17:41:46 pm »
Thank you for the reply!

Yes I'm on another forum trying to figure out my DS appropriate A times which has been a huge mystery lately.

I was wondering if I were to cap the pm nap to preserve bedtime, what's the typical length? Does that mean A time to BT shortens due to the capped nap or is it set BT no matter what?

As a starting point for set naps; what might it look like for a 7 month old? I have seen many set nap schedules so I'm a bit confused.
Jennifer xx

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 02:24:23 am »
Oh I am so not a good one for set nap advice...my last experience on set naps with a 7 month old was almost 7 years ago (DD2, as DD3 is not a good example of an average routine). The only thing I do remember is I would try various A times and set the naps based on what worked best. She was very clock oriented though so not really a good example either. Bedtime was set no matter what as we had a toddler too and to save time did the bedtime routine for both at the same time.

I gave your other thread a read...it is so hard to know what will work until you pick some timings and test it out. The thing with set naps is although you may use A times as a guide to set the routine after that you run off the clock more and allow the lo to adjust to it (which does not always work!) rather than keep tweaking.
Heidi

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 17:47:23 pm »
Sorry I have been attempting to figure out A times for DS.

I was wondering if anyone has gone from long A times to shorter A times with set nap schedules successfully?. Or maybe someone else who has experience with this?

I have seen popular set nap times being:

9:30 & 1:30 or 2

Or

10 & 2:30

Jennifer xx

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 20:09:28 pm »
With 3 kids under my belt (so not the best case study lol!) I have never even attempted shorter A times unless they were seriously ill. Mine are all spirited though and an ut nap would have resulted in screaming tantrums as they darn well knew they were not tired enough to sleep ;)
Heidi

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 20:25:05 pm »
Lol fair enough I'm trying a routine that was suggested by another mod. I do appreciate it!

I think my DS is the same. He seems to scream when he's UT and OT lol I can't tell the difference!
Jennifer xx

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 14:14:51 pm »
I just had a look at your thread, looks like a good routine to work off of for now! Fx it helps!
Heidi