Author Topic: 12mo bedtime troubles  (Read 1067 times)

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 08, 2016, 20:46:28 pm »
Hi I switched my dd to one nap and around the same time she has started giving terrible trouble at bt. Nap time too has changed. I used to always leave her in her cot and go but in the last 2 weeks she wants me to stay in the room til she falls asleep. I just lie on the bed with my back to her cot and she's asleep in 5 mins. Night time she goes to sleep ok but wakes about half an hour later crying and stays awake for 1-2 hours. It does sound like ot doesn't it? She never appears ot during the day though. Some days she naps for 1.5 hours. Other days up to 2.5 hours. But still this problem at night.
Do you think I've switched her to one nap too early? Or should I give her an earlier bedtime? Or is it something different do you think? She has become very clingy lately so I don't know if that's related. Today was
WU 7.40
Nap 1pm (only 1 hour 20 mins. Usually it's a bit longer)
BT 7 asleep at 7.15 awake at 7.45. It's 8.45 and she's still awake. I'm typing this in her room as she's crying on and off and trying to sleep.
She finally went to sleep tonight at 9.45 after I gave her a bottle of milk.  at 9.30. When she eventually falls asleep she sleeps for the night waking any time between 6.30 and 8.30
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 21:54:05 pm by sunflower321 »

Offline KatyBee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:19:09 pm »
I didn't want to read and run... I found things got tricky around 12mo - there are lots of developments around that age so it was a mix of that and tweaking the routine to get my son to sleep better.

If it were me I would probably attempt a shorter day and earlier bedtime. So maybe keep the A times to around 5 hours - just to see if it's OT that is increasing the separation anxiety and nightwakings. It's a fairly easy thing to try and should give you some indication as to whether that is the issue.

I'm sure others will have more advice!

Do you notice any particular triggers for the longer or shorter naps?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 12mo bedtime troubles
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 19:46:51 pm »
Hi there sounds developmental to me...if she's had a 2.5 hour nap does she take longer to get to sleep? At this age my DS would have a 2.5 hour nap and 12.5/13 hour day but if nap shorter than 1.5 hour then 12 hour day.
Doesn't really sound UT or she'd be more likely messing about but happy.

Separation anxiety could be playing a part too, have u tried gradual withdrawal so she gets used to falling asleep alone again eventually. If your leaving after she's asleep then she's prob wondering where you've gone especially if SA playing a part.
Zoe