Author Topic: 6mo takes 30mins fall asleep  (Read 929 times)

Offline JackyXu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 10, 2016, 21:08:11 pm »
DD has been having short naps since 4.5mo when she learned rolling over. Since she will roll over the minute I put her into cot, I have been holding her down in order to avoid OT. I have been trying to find the perfect A so she could fall asleep easily. However, short naps and fighting for sleep every day. Until recently I decide to let go, and surprisingly DD plays in the cot for 30 mins and naps for 2 hours!

I thought she might not be tired enough so I start the wind down at 2.5h, and DD does yawn a lot, but as soon as I put her into cot, she starts to play around and fall asleep after 30min! I have tried between 2-2.5h(which means A time is 2.5h-3h). All makes her nap 2h! No OT? She is just 6mo and 1week. I don't think 3h A is short for her age. Today she pooped and woke up at 3pm. Refused CN. Put her into cot at 7pm. Still plays 30mins then fall asleep! No sign of OT. No fussy no cry.

I am so confused! When should I start the wind down?  I have just skip the CN straight away since DD could do 3h A, but DD still wakes up between 4-6am playing happily in the cot. Is this early wake means too long A?

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 6mo takes 30mins fall asleep
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 01:26:07 am »
Some LOs just take a while to settle to sleep. My DD took 15-30 minutes for naps and up to an hour for BT and still does at 3 years old.

I would try aiming to have her asleep by 2h30/2h45 with a slightly longer last A before BT. It may be hard to get her to last until BT at first but pushing that last A is what helped my DS get over the early morning wake ups. He did 2.5h for his first and second A and 3-4 h for the last A. When he was dropping the CN his day looked like this:
WU: 7
S: 930-11 (I usually woke him so he would nap at the same time as DD in the afternoon)
S: 1:30-3:00/3:30
BT: 6/6:30 (I did BT 3 hrs from the last nap when he was first dropping the CN and then slowly stretched it until BT was usually around 6:45)
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline JackyXu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:48:34 am »
Thank you! Since it takes 30 mins to fall asleep, should I just start wind down and bedtime feeding 30mins earlier for the aiming eyes-close-time?

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 6mo takes 30mins fall asleep
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 01:07:35 am »
Since it takes 30 mins to fall asleep, should I just start wind down and bedtime feeding 30mins earlier for the aiming eyes-close-time?
That's what I would do. It used to stress me out that DD took so long to fall asleep but once I realized that it's just the way she is, I began to appreciate the extra Y time while she was in bed.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014