Author Topic: Help with gw please  (Read 3526 times)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help with gw please
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 07:42:55 am »
Tonight was good.  Took 40 mins to settle but......... no hand in the cot  ;D

I noticed about 15 mins in she was doing her usual gymnastics and singing that she was not interested in my hand so I took it out and she didn't look for it again.  Will try not at all tomorrow and see if she notices  ;)

Do the crazy gymnastics settle down? I gave her maybe 3 firm shushes about 35 mins in as she was winding up and talking quite loud, and it was enough to interrup her and she only took a few minutes after that to drop off.  At about the 10 min mark I tell her "sleepy time baby, close your eyes". But otherwise am not saying anything.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 07:18:37 am »
Hi sorry for being absent my DS2 decided to appear into this world 10 days early.

I think it sounds like your doing great and the fact she's settling and not needing the hand means she is secure.
The gymnastics do calm down, think it's developmental really and they just calm down.
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 19:04:05 pm »
Oh congratulations!!! That's wonderful news  :D

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 05:53:17 am »
Well we seemed to have stalled and gone back a few steps?? Really clingy for the last 2 nights and back to getting really upset because she can't touch me.  I ended up putting my hand in the side of the cot last night and she snuggled right beside it and went to sleep, no gymnastics, singing or 360°s  which was a first.

We are having to wake her at the 2 hour mark from her day nap but other than the language explosion and interesting tantrums she seems really good.

Any suggestions? Dad is giving it a go tonight as I am heading out with the girls later this week and ultimately  we want to be able to share putting her down.

How are things going  with you?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2016, 20:00:11 pm »
Could just be the language explosion making her more clingy.

See how dad goes, my DS messes loads less for DH. I'd just stick with what your doing if she's clingy then keep moving away a bit and see how it progresses.

Things ok thanks but oh my I had forgotten how much time newborns take up lol! Can't believe he's not even due till tomor and he's been here a week already. x
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 00:20:06 am »
Hi Haribo, back again  :( we were doing really well.  No hand in the cot and we were almost 2 feet from the cot heading towards the door.  The last 3 days we seem to be back at getting super upset again at bedtime and today it happened at her day nap too.  I'm always a bit soft on her on a Wednesday as she is tired after 2 days in care (which she sleeps rubbish) but the really clinginess is only when its time to sleep.  I haven't noticed her being more than normal during the day.

I know she is a sensitive soul and is very cautious and easily frightened but am really unsure of what more I can do to get me out of the room at night.

We are back averaging between 20-40 mins for her to fall asleep, less gymnastics and more singing at the moment, but I guess that is just the language.

I only shush her now when the singing turns to shouting or if she decides to play long jump in the cot  :P  At the 10 minute mark I am telling her the usual "sleepy time baby, go to sleep" and again at the 20 minute mark if she is still actively playing.  If she is just lying quietly moving her arms and legs or softly talking to her lovey then I just stay quiet.

Can you think of anything else or do you think this is just what its going to be for the next wee while?

How is everything going with you?  How is DS1 coping with the new addition?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 10:24:05 am »
Hi there, how does she cope if you were to try sitting outside the bedroom door or trying walk in/walk out?

It still sounds a bit developmental with all the singing etc.

Thanks for asking, DS1 coping loads better than I thought he would, loves his baby brother and says he only has kisses for him now (which then makes me tear up lol hormones) I'm just attempting get dressed at 10.15am lol x
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 23:49:54 pm »
Oh how lovely! Getting dressed is overrated!!! What is the age difference between them?

Before we tried the gw I tried leaving the room for about 3 days, setting the clock to 1 minute and then going back in.  She became so upset so quickly gasping for breath so after about 3 mins I stopped.  Calmed her down and then stayed in the room with her.

Last night and lunch nap today no problem.  I did cuddle and sing for a bit longer last night until she felt really calm in my arms.  Was about 10mins in total then 20 mins just sitting on my chair. Only told her once to shush. Lunch the same.  Told her to stop mucking about and close her eyes.  And she's out.

Am gonna move the chair tonight, close again to the door and see what happens.  I'm still almost 2 feet from  the cot so figure another foot should be good.

Would you suggest switching to wiwo?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 07:19:28 am »
Ha ha I find it hard to chill out with the getting dressed but you have to  :)
There is 3 yr 9 months between them so DS1 understands a bit but DS2 is waking him at night so it's a pain.

Sounds like a plan moving the chair, I'd prob carry on with GW but maybe move steps a bit quicker. Give it 3 days then move again, once you get near the door you could move to sitting outside the door just using your voice.
Zoe

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 18:07:13 pm »
Hi firstmum,
(Congrats to you Haribo!!! Hope you're doing well! haha, and I have yet to get dressed at 1:00 in the afternoon!!) Btw, when you got to 1pm for your DS's nap when he was 2yo, what was BT and WU?

Firstmum, My DS had the same antics at nap and bedtime lately with similar routine (minus the weaning, holiday, and daycare). Congrats by the way with weaning! I know it can be bittersweet. DS is taking forever to fall asleep at night still. DS also got extremely upset when I would leave the room at those times he needed me. I'm following to see how DD does for you... how was last night?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 18:09:50 pm by ginger413 »

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 19:03:33 pm »
Hey Ginger,

Bedtime was OK,  about 30 mins but got a bit overtired towards the end which is when I get into trouble.  Lots of gymnastics jumping around. She listens when I tell her to stop and lay down. It's so hot here at the moment that I put it down to that.  If she misses her own window to fall asleep, that's when she struggles.  I ended up leaning out of the chair and touching her foot as she had started crying.  2 mins of touched her big toes and she is asleep.

She handled the further distance for basically the whole time until right at the end.  Am gonna do as Haribo suggested and do this again for 2 nights and then move.  She is stringing  words and sentences together so lots going on for her.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 21:47:45 pm »
Thanks ginger it's so hard with 2 kids lol!
From memory DS napped around 1pm for 1.5/2 hours BT was around 7.30 and WU around 6/6.30.

The language leap played havoc with our BT but good going tonight  :)
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2016, 06:49:14 am »
Oh Haribo just had to share!!!  We went completely pear shaped and I was back to my hand resting on the side of the cot. I honestly thought it was never going to change.  Last night when I put her in the cot I told her I was going to the loo, no problem playing and singing away as she usually does but at about the 10 min mark I could hear her bouncing in the cot. I stood in the doorway and shushes her, unfortunately I gave her a fright so we got a bit upset. But with me in the room she was asleep from that point in less than 10 mins 😀

Tonight same thing but I thought I'll just listen and see. I figure she had had a great day sleep we could deal with a bit of a late night.  Anyway after about 10 mins again she called out "mum where are you" I crept down the passage and from  the end away from her called "shush I'm on the loo go to sleep" and she did!!!!

She blinded after 15 mins and was a little upset asking for a cuddle but I just treated it like I use to treat her new,  straightened her blankets, stroked her head and told her to go  ask to sleep. Ran my hand down her side stroked her tummy and left.

I know I have probably totally jinxed myself as its only the first night..... but she also self settled for the first time at child minders (i have no probs) yesterday. 😀 would you suggest I tell her I'm going out to the lounge or keep with the loo for now?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2016, 07:29:15 am »
Oh wow well done you  :)

I'd keep going with what your doing for a few days then change to going to the lounge or just going to do a few jobs I'll pop and check on you in a minute type thing!

Even if u jinxed it, you know she can do it x
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2016, 20:03:49 pm »
Well it was  bit of a jinx but not a total failure.  I'm still leaving the room to go to the loo and I try and shush from outside but the mama mantra gets pretty intense.  I've been going back in reassuring and then sitting on  the stool by the book case.  My phrase I've used for awhile now is "shush baby it's sleep time" and nothing else.

Am I confusing her doing a mixture of the 2? If I say I'm leaving should I say I'm coming back? I'm going back in about 15 mins later because she will sing and say goodnight to every toy in her room, it's like when she finishes that she is then looking for my presence.  It's then about another 15 mins and she is asleep.

We have a bit of a summer cold but other than a bit of a gunky nose it's not affecting much so I'm keen to keep moving.  Would love to hear your thoughts.