Author Topic: What do you do when they just won't sleep?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
What do you do when they just won't sleep?
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:03:39 am »
I thought DS1 was bad but DS2 is worse  :(. I was tearing my hair out by the end of last night.

He had three very short naps during the day then didn't sleep at all from 2.30pm until midnight. Nothing worked, not rocking, feeding, ssh pat. Tried him in all different positions etc. We're not going as far as putting him in the car at night but were tempted.

If he were happy during this period then you could go with it. But he's needing to be constantly held and moved. He is sleeping in bed with me (that's another post) so I rarely if ever get a break.

This happens once, maybe twice a week. Other days he's easier to get to sleep but as a general rule needs an awful lot of help to drop off, and then to stay asleep. So naps are not a break, either.

What can I do?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
Re: What do you do when they just won't sleep?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 14:37:37 pm »
Just saw this!! Hugs first up, it's terrible!!

For me (with this one!) the answer was a stretchy wrap. In, head tucked in, dummy in, me pottering around. Worked every time. With the twins I have to admit to unnecess drives a LOT! No wonder there is global warming, it's probably my fault!! But when they were this age my big twin (touchy, grumpy, spirited, awful reflux) would sleep well in a baby bjorn bouncy chair which I could bounce with one foot. We took that chair everywhere! He was even in it overnight sometimes.

Poor you. It all gets a bit relentless, doesn't it?

Xxx

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 17:15:28 pm »
Super big hugs lovely, this stage is tough. I do second the stretchy wrap idea or the bouncy chair but in all honesty, though it's not much help, my best advice is hang in there :-* it sounds pretty normal behaviour for a just two month old, hard though it is.  I would do what you need to do to get through right now, so if its  one of *those* evenings whack a good CD on the car stereo and go for a drive.  And if you can, just relax all expectations.  Needing lots of help to get to sleep and stay asleep is where he should be at right now.  The independent sleep and breaks will come, they will :-* and in the mean time take all offers of help and take the chance for you time when you can. DH can hold a screaming OT baby for half an hour while you take a bath ;)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 17:54:35 pm »
Definitely relentless! But knowing it will end does help a lot.

We have a bouncy chair; sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I don't have a wrap but am hoping the sling might help!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 18:21:33 pm »
 My little refluxer hated the sling, but loved the wrap.  A yoga ball can help .....I would just sit on it and lightly roll and bounce....because she knew when I'd sit down!  But the yoga ball tricked her.   8)

Do you have a friend or family member who could come over so you can grab a nap?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 18:48:21 pm »
No family whatsoever nearby! Friends have their own kids to look after so it's a bit of a tough ask.

I do however have a yoga ball I could try....

He loves the sling in the daytime!

I'm wondering about a more structured bedtime routine - too early for that? Wouldn't help naps but could help nights. I could find some baby yoga/baby massage classes locally quite easily.

I have just bathed him and tried a quick massage with some Burt's Bees oil I was given. Just made up stuff as I have no clue! But it seemed to relax him.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 19:01:20 pm »
If he's refluxy, getting that treated should help. That was the ONLY thing that got J better sleep - even Tracy's intervention around that age didn't work until the Zantac did.

Hope things improve!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 19:10:29 pm »
I'd go for it with the bedtime routine.  We did from about six weeks with DD and essentially day 1 with DS as he just came along for the ride! 

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 19:15:25 pm »
I don't think he's refluxy, not properly. I've done nothing different and he's improved a lot with age. Feeding well, growing etc. Apparently most babies have a small amount of reflux, that's according to my midwife anyway.

Will try more of a routine then. Bath every night is a bit of an ask with my big one out at activities/doing homework etc but we'll give it a go.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 19:38:28 pm »
I went to baby massage class and it was nice, but you could learn the techniques from YouTube. I think this one was older when we started the proper routine (and he didn't get daily baths until he started solids as it was too much hassle) but he does enjoy it.

I think the stretchy wraps are very snugly and if they are a bit fretful at being out in the big wide world they just bring them down a bit. I didn't get my lillebaby until he was a bit older but if you made that snug and dark maybe it would be as good? The stretchy I had was a close caboo and there are millions on eBay, if you are organised you could just sell it on if you don't want it.

But it will pass. The sprout is 7 months and all of that is a distant memory already!!

(((Hugs)))

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 20:13:00 pm »
Another one who needed to do everything to get DS to sleep when he was little.

Bedtime routine & APOP-ing daytime naps to try to reduce OT/OS helped, so did swaddling, bouncing on yoga ball, feeding, feeding & feeding more, getting DH to put him to sleep...and time.

Hang on in there xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 21:04:35 pm »
My DS needed lots of help to sleep too.  When he was a newborn, the HV told me 'he'll sleep when he is tired!' I only wish that had been true!!!

He had reflux and loved the very upright Baby Bjorn sling.  He slept in it for hours during the day.  I gradually got him to do one nap in his cot around 3 months and progressed from there.  But the cot naps were only short until about 5 months.

Nights were more tricky but we eventually bought a sleepyhead pod for him and he loved it!  I know they are a little controversial but once we'd got the sleepyhead he started to self settle and calmed down a lot.   We had the cot on an incline because of the reflux and the sleepyhead stopped him sliding around in the cot as well.  Of course it was chaos when he 'escaped' from the sleepyhead at 8 months but he's used to being without it now!  And it was amazing for him when he was little.

We did a bedtime routine from very early on I think.  It made me feel like I was trying something constructive even on the days when it took ages to settle DS and then he was awake again 40 minutes later!

I hope things improve for you soon.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 21:20:10 pm »
Yes, sleepyhead!! Sprout is still in it!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 21:27:51 pm »
I needed to introduce a better BT routine with LO2 around the 6 week mark. So I stopped feeding in the evening downstairs, and started taking her to the bedroom for a last feed and BT around 7ish. Really helped. Otherwise she was feeding and feeding, trying to get herself to sleep I think, then spitting up everywhere, getting OS and OT, total mess. Come to think of it this was the only time she spit up! Because she was calmer, she just took a feed (often to sleep) and transferred to cot ok. Introduced DF around this too. But moving upstairs and handling it like BT made a big difference.

Otherwise I agree with sling suggestion.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 02:23:40 am »
Do try the yoga ball.  It was the only one that settled my DD1 and I use it pretty often for DD2 as well.  Sometimes, I'll put her in the ergo and bounce on the yoga ball while I catch up on emails or work or BW.  It keeps us both comfortable.  I've also bounced my way thru DD1's homework and dinner lol

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 08:23:58 am »
Right, yoga ball will be blown up! To join the already overcrowded house full of baby stuff.

I'm doing bedtime upstairs already as once he's settled he needs me with him to stay asleep. Normally he will cluster feed from 7-9pm ish and then do a good long stretch without a feed. So it's just adding bath and maybe massage in.

He's still asleep! Doing a super long night to compensate for the short one the night before, it seems.