Author Topic: Can you tell me how (we think) Tracy might have updated the books?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
So I'm trying to understand how often DS2 might need feeding, given that his cues are pretty hard to read. I think it's generally more frequent than 3hrs, since he wakes roaring if he gets to this point.

He is doing good stretches at night though, often 5-6 hours (esp after an evening cluster feed) which I think is pretty good for a two month old. He will wake up, down one side and refuse the other.

During the day he'll take a feed pretty much any time you offer! But generally takes both sides. He's gaining weight well and is an alert, happy baby (when he's well rested).

So I've been doing some reading and more recent research seems to point to frequent feeding being a good thing - more hind milk available since an extended period between feeds means the breast fills up and then there is more fore milk available at the start of the feed. Emptied breasts make milk on demand and this is generally of higher fat content, have I got this right?

So how does this fit with trying to avoid frequent feeds because they lead to snacking? I'm not saying we will feed every hour, I just want to work through in my head how it all fits together.

Tia!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
Re: Can you tell me how (we think) Tracy might have updated the books?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 14:27:32 pm »
I think the point is whether the breast is emptied at each feeding or not. If the baby is only snacking and drinks just a little but frequently then he/she will not get the hind milk which is high in fat and nutrients but mostly get the sugary watery foremilk. So what I am understanding from Tracy's book is not that we need to hold the baby out to feed only every 3 hours but to prevent snacking which is bad for the baby and for our supply as well. I think snacking happens with feeding to sleep mostly because the baby is only comfort sucking not really eating. BTW my DS was the same way ... he would eat any time and empty both breasts. At 4 months we had to start solids because he was constantly hungry with just milk alone. Now at age 8 he eats like a man  ;D So if you feel that your DS 2 is emptying your breasts well and gets the amount of hind milk that is good for him then I think by all means you should stick to a routine that fits him. If it is every 2.5 hours then let it be every 2.5 hours  ;) You can by the way tell if he gets a good balance of hind and foremilk by his poop. If he has explosives blow out diapers and a lot of tummy discomfort it is most likely that he gets too much foremilk and not enough hind milk. (given there is no intolerances or other issues) Sorry for TMI but that has always been my most useful tool to tell if my kids got the right balance  ;D
*Suzanna*

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 14:35:09 pm »
Thanks! He is very definitely taking a full feed each time, even if it's only been a shorter while than I'd like. His nappies are fine. Huge!! And relatively predictably around midday. But nice normal baby poop :).

I'm surprised that he is taking both sides, DS1 never did and I always thought that I had a very good supply. This guy is visibly growing though - at 2 months he's into the 3-6 mo clothes and doesn't look like he'll be in them for very long.

Would he need more during the day if he's already going longer stretches at night? That's how I'd kind of explained it to myself.

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 17:00:08 pm »
I think it's awesome that he takes more in during the day and does the longer stretches at night. Maybe you can try tanking up cluster feeding before BT. I think I did that with both mine at this age then changed it to DF around 3-4 months  ;)
*Suzanna*

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 17:02:53 pm »
Already doing it! Feeding most evenings from 7-9ish. We'll see if that becomes a dream feed, I'm not sure yet.

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 19:31:05 pm »
the WHO recommends feeding on demand and I think we should follow this as it ensures the baby gets enough and our supply stays adequate for baby's needs. you could give him a top up feed 30 mins before his nap or so. and him growing so well means he is getting loads. keep it up and down worry too much about schedules. you can still have a good routine with regular naps and fit feeds on demand around them. thats what we are doing and it works very well. hope that helps?
Franziska

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 20:13:23 pm »
My little one used to take full feeds and every 2.5 hrs
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 00:09:32 am »
L was taking what I thought were full feeds every 2-2.5hr but had terrible troubles with foremilk overload and was much better when I realised he was gassy at 2-2.5hr and needed winding and tummy massage, not more food and he did better with 4hrly feeding, even at 3 months. Really, this is so individual to baby's tummy capacity, digestive system maturity, mum's milk volume and fat content, letdown etc. that I don't think there would be a way to say exactly the "best" way to feed is and publish it in a book, because its so variable.

5-6hr stretches are pretty good at this age, expect that to shrink and then return as he goes through growth spurts. Sounds like whatever you're doing is working well - he's happy, growing and sleeping good stretch at night.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 11:09:27 am »
Thanks girls. He's suddenly started going around 3.5hrs between feeds during the day and taking really good, long feeds (he'll always latch but it was becoming apparent that he wasn't that interested at 2.5 or even 3hrs any more). Still getting good stretches most nights and I am just following his lead.