Author Topic: when/how to eliminate need for top-up feeds for 7 month old  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
when/how to eliminate need for top-up feeds for 7 month old
« on: January 11, 2016, 21:54:20 pm »
Hi All.  DD2 is 7 months old.  Her A times are in the 3-3.25 hour range and her naps range from 1.25-2 hours (total day sleep 2.25-3H usually).  She is BF and we started solids just before 6 months.  I have yet to see any drop in her milk feeds.  She had a growth spurt at 6 months and then a very big one last week. She is a large baby and very active.

I am seeking some guidance on how to work towards eliminating the need for top-up BFs.  Because she has a long wake time and fairly long naps, I think she needs (and she often reminds me of her need for) these top-ups.  I certainly don't mind...I am not trying to limit her...but I wonder if 6 BFs during the day and 1-2 at night may end up contributing to a snacking situation that may be hard to exit.  It is tough not to compare her to DD1 who was on 4 day feeds and no NFs at this age.....

Does anyone have advice on a schedule tweak or a timeline for when I need to care about the number of BFs she has in a day.  I would eventually like to leave the house alone with DD1 for more than an hour or two, but DD2 never took a bottle and mostly just chews on the sippy cup when offered.

Here is a sample day (it does vary).

8am: W/U
8:20am: BF
9:20am: solids (amount varies by day...we drop off DD1 at preschool, otherwise I would do this earlier)
10:00am: BF (top-up...sometimes she'll demand a top-up before I get around to the solids)
11:05-12:20: S
12:40: BF
2:00: solids (taste, so I can work in the kitchen)
2:30: BF (top-up)
3:35-4:50: S
5:15: BF
6:15: solids (dinner with family....veggies, bread, peanut butter, etc...usually her largest meal of the day)
7:45pm: BF
8pm: Bedtime

Usually 1NF at around 12:30 (another feed if bad night)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: when/how to eliminate need for top-up feeds for 7 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 15:56:06 pm »
Have you ever tried a straw cup? Tbh my DD3 had the same sort of eating routine and it never led to what I would consider a snacking habit.  If she is a decent solids eater I would not worry overmuch at being gone a little longer if she could just have a snack. Does she drink water? If so what does she use?
Heidi

Offline Swannie

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 17:24:54 pm »
I give her water at mealtimes in a sippy cup, various kinds.  She still hasn't cut her first teeth so I am guessing this is why she prefers chewing the cup to drinking the water.  I can try a straw cup and see how it goes.

She's been a bit slow to get into solids.  She tries everything but refuses to be spoon-fed (except for spinach, oddly enough).  So we have had to do a baby-led weaning approach.  She got hives all over her body after having eggs for a second time (first time was ok) but otherwise has been fine.  She mostly just nibbles, except for bread which she will eat a lot of.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 17:32:03 pm »
We did blw too...DD3 did not like the spoon either.

Totally ot...but it is common that an allergy shows up on the second ingestion. I would proceed carefully with eggs and anything containing egg. So funny she loves spinach! I don't think any of mine did.
Heidi

Offline Swannie

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 16:42:54 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  It's too bad that she may have an egg allergy....it's such a nutritious and easy baby/toddler food.

The straw cup worked well.  Thanks!

She's seems to back up to two night feeds.  Any advice on how I can try and reduce this?

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 02:21:26 am »
It may just be a growth spurt or possibly more solids are leaving her less hungry for milk in the day thereby causing the wake ups? We weren't up to 3 meals until 8/9 months.

My nephew and DD2 have/had egg allergy - my DD2 outgrew it but my nephew did not. It is definitely not an easy one to avoid either!
Heidi