Author Topic: So confused with easy for 12 month old  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Henna20

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 12, 2016, 00:24:39 am »
What awake time should my 12 month old be having now? She is starting to be able to stay awake longer but then naps are not working out. 
Should her awake time be 4 hours? Then if she wakes up at 7, nap would be at 11-12:30. Next nap would be 4:30. Isn't that very late for a nap?
Sometimes she will take a morning nap and then just stay up without a nap and I'll put her to sleep at 5 for the night.....
Please help. I'm very confused
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:39:04 am by Martini~ »

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
Re: So confused with easy for 12 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 14:02:53 pm »
Many tots are on 1 nap at 12 mths and it is typically starting anywhere between 11-1, though times vary depending on individual child sleep needs and A time preferences etc.  DS was on 1 nap at 12 pm.  He was at daycare, they had lunch around 11:30 and then napped then at 12 for about 2 hrs.  He went to bed at 7 most nights because of our schedule. Some do a short kip in the am (depending on wake time) and a longer more restorative nap in the pm.  Can you post her day with wake and sleep times?

The tweaking never stops!

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 21:05:55 pm »
Hi, just wanted to add this:
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
Lots of good info about the 2-1 transition.

The other thing to consider is set naps. For most babies the 2-1 involves a fair bit of time, tweaking, and trial and error. But if that's not your style, or you have other commitments to work around, etc, you can pick a time for nap and stick to it. You may run into some OT but once LO's body clock adjusts you will likely get that one nice long nap. It depends on your baby though as not all of them do well with a cold turkey switch.
Emma

Offline Henna20

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 13:56:47 pm »
If we are doing 1 nap. How long should it be?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 14:34:59 pm »
If we are doing 1 nap. How long should it be?

Really depends on the lo and their sleep needs! My kids varied from needing 1.5 - 3 hrs at 12 months so it is hard to say. How much day sleep are you getting with 2 naps? What is overnight sleep like?
Heidi

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 17:11:32 pm »
Yes it's so child driven.  DS never did more than 10 at night ever really so he needed at least 2 during the day to compensate.  It wasn't until age 2 that we had to start cutting it and then it was completely gone by age 3.

Offline Henna20

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 19:36:51 pm »
So a 12 hour night and a 1.5 hour nap is enough sleep for her? My other 4 kids did a 3 hour nap when I switched to 1 nap.
I
So if she wakes up at 6am when should i put her down for a nap?

Offline Henna20

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 19:42:44 pm »
She woke up this morning at 6am. At 8:45 she was so kvetchy so tried to put her for nap. Took 45 min to put her to sleep. She woke up just under av hour and a half. She was so cranky so tried to put her down at 2:15. Its 2:40 and I'm still trying to get her to sleep

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 20:05:59 pm »
Set naps worked really well for us at about this time.

DS woke around 6am and we did a very short capped nap of about 15-20mins at 9.30 then a nap after lunch (1pm-ish) & he would normally sleep 1.5-2hrs.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 20:15:28 pm »
I don't think she's tired enough hun.  Being cranky could be related to teeth, development, just an off day, anything really! Trying for 2h45 A time is pretty short for her age, and given how long she is taking to settle I think you either need to push for the one nap, or if you're doing two then one of them needs to be short, like 20/30mins. Did you read the link about the 2-1 transition?

Have you ever noticed if she has a preference for a longer or shorter A at any point in the day? From a 6am start I would put her down somewhere between 11-12 depending if she likes a shorter morning or a shorter time to bed, or split the difference if you're not sure.
Emma

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 23:21:15 pm »
Yes I was going to suggest 11:30.  Sometimes it means doing two snacks and splitting lunch (so small snack before nap then rest after she wakes).  If she's only going to do 11 at night then you'd need a 13 hr day (11 hrs A time + 2 hr nap)  When they move to one nap, some kids will extend the night.  So if she's doing 12 at night, you need a 12 hr day (10 hrs A time + 2 hr nap).  If she does a longer nap, adjust accordingly.  In the beginning,  I'd try the longer A after the nap - especially since she's waking pretty early ie 6 am.  She might struggle with a 6 hr A to start.

Offline Henna20

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 23:29:45 pm »
You guys are giving me hope that I will figure this out! Thank you
So tomorrow I will try put her down around 11/11:30 and take it from there

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 02:26:52 am »
Good luck!  In the beginning you may find she's a lot crankier, more tired, overtired at times etc.  It's a big adjustment.  Here's hoping she adapts well :)

Offline Henna20

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 17:37:04 pm »
OK so she woke up this morning at about 6:30am. Put her down for a nap at 11am. She woke up 12:20. So she only slept for an hour and 15/20 min.  Do I give her another nap today or just an early bedtime? What time should I try to put her to sleep next? (She has gone to sleep for the night at 4:30pm a few times.)

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 18:35:11 pm »
You could try a CN and a slightly later bedtime.  Or skip the nap and do an EBT.  It's really dependent on the kid.  Given what you say about her sleeping at 4:30 p.m. she may be fine with an EBT.  Once my kid napped, he would never do a second nap so we always had to aim for an earlier bedtime.

It seems like she could handle a slightly longer A time in the morning.  I'd try 11:30 next time.  Maybe even 12 if she seems ok.  In the beginning, you often have to gently stretch them out as they won't be used to the super long A times.  Quiet activity, reading books etc. as a long wind down can set the stage.