Author Topic: 5mo won't nap!  (Read 992 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
5mo won't nap!
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:38:48 am »
I have a little angel baby! But, recently she stopped going to sleep easily. I am switching her currently to a 4hr EASY (She's almost 5months old) but her awake time is crazy long! I try putting her down at the 1.30hr mark or 1.45h or even after 2hrs of awake time and she will squeal, grunt, cry and play in her crib. this will last forever. Could easily go on for 30min+

What do I do? I go in and try to resettle her but then she protests when after holding her she is put back in her crib.
I can't seem to get the timing right. She rarely sleeps past 45min and only sometimes can be re-settled when awoken.
If she is awake for even a stretch like 3hrs, she won't complain.

She sleeps pretty long at night, so could that affect her daytime sleep? She's asleep around 6:30 and gets up around 8am.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 5mo won't nap!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:39:23 am »
I should add that she also just sprouted her first tooth.... could that affect naps?

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:15:02 am »
Hi there, if you could post your EASY that would be really helpful.  One thing I would suggest is you stick with a consistent A time.  Most babies around 5 months are awake for about 2-2.5hrs. My kids tended towards the lower end of the scale until they got older and you know your baby best.  If you keep a consistent A time, your baby will get a better idea of their day and she's also more likely to be tired.  Right now I think you're getting 45 minute naps due to baby being UT but it's hard to say until I see your EASY.
Also yes, teething can definitely throw things for a loop.

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 05:43:42 am »
You know what, it must be UTness. I have had 1.5hr A time in my head because of being on a 3hr EASY
I've been trying to transition her to a 4hr but found it hard pushing feeds out that long. So, at the moment its 3.5hr EASY.
I will try longer A time today and see what I get. Hopefully this means also that doing a 4hr EASY will come more naturally. She slept super well last night (did a six hour stretch) so eating every 4hrs should be no problem.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 12:10:40 pm »
She won't nap!!
WU was 8am this morning. Tried first nap around 10am, but was still trying to get her down at 10:30 and by 11am, I got her up and said ok, lets feed and try again. She ate at 11:30am then went down for, drumroll please.... 45min! ARGH
While she was trying, she had her thumb in, would suck and then pull it out to cry. Could it be a tooth? One is already there. ???

Not sure whats going on.
At night when she goes to sleep, she usually wakes up about 45min in to her sleep and then again in time for her dream-feed.
I was just trying to write out her Easy schedule, but could figure out what I do. :( Now that I'm upping her A time, I feel like her days are all wacko.
WU is usually 7:30/8am and Bedtime is 6:30pm. She gets a dreamfeed and two night time feeds (2:30, 5:30)

'

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 04:22:42 am »
Ok, if she's going to bed at 6:30pm it may be that her day is too short all together.  Would you be comfortable with a 7-7 day?  That would give her a total day of 12 hrs with the naps worked in there.  You may find that helps to iron things out.  What is your wind down routine?  Do you have white noise? Blackout curtains?  Teeth can definitely throw sleep off the rails.