Author Topic: 12m nap/wake schedule  (Read 917 times)

Offline Anika920

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM to a precious baby boy SAHM
12m nap/wake schedule
« on: January 13, 2016, 15:57:54 pm »
Hey mommas,

Finally got my LO STTN! yay! He's about to be 1y and we continue to have nap issues. I've tried to be as consistent as possible and when he takes short naps try to let him resettle but it's maybe about a 50% or less success rate. His first nap is the shortest and 9/10xs is only 30m we are on about 3h wake time because I think he still needs 2 naps since his naps are so horrible. On average he gets about 1.5h day sleep. Bad days about 1.25h and good days 2.25h in the 2 naps. He also takes about 30m to close his eyes. He'll typically lay down right away, however.
Sample of how day usually goes:
Wake: 6:45/7:30
Nap1: 9:45/10:30 usually only 30m
Nap2: 2/3 this one can be about an hour. I try to stretch this to 2p if he wakes early for the day and has a crappy first nap as to not have too long WT until BT
BT: 7:30/8

If he wakes early from his naps he won't even let me parent him back to sleep.
He also typically wakes crying which makes me think he is waking up still tired. He puts himself to sleep.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 12m nap/wake schedule
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 19:44:41 pm »
Hi there,

I think probably if you are going for a short am, long pm routine the gap between your first and second naps is too long, and BT too late for less-than-ideal naps. I'd go with something like:

WU
A 3h
Nap 30 mins
A 2.5-3h (may take a bit of experimenting)
Hopefully long nap
A 4-4.5h after a good nap of 1.5h or more

If naps don't go so well I'd probably try to keep to a 12h day to give LO chance to make up some extra sleep at night, on a good nap day you can probably manage a 12.5-13h day and slightly shorter night :)

Offline Anika920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 16:13:37 pm »
Thanks for your reply. We do BT late because dad is gone at least 10h a day. He barely gets home in time to see LO before bed a lot of nights, so being in bed by 7 is not very feasible, but we do do it on occasion, especially crappy nap days like you mentioned. He hasn't taken a 1.5h nap in forever! Just some history, he's always been a very poor sleeper. I can recall a couple months where he was pretty consistently taking 2 2h naps, but was waking 6xs a night! I swear he either hates sleep or doesn't really understand it. There are times when we put him down and he's out in 10m but it's rare. We've done EBT or even normal BT and he will just lay there awake for an hour!

We've had days where he completely skipped a nap and the 1 nap he got was still only about an hour.
So today he woke around 7 7:20 out of crib/nursed.
1st nap put him at 10:30 he WAS laying down then he sat up and started crying so I went to him and  now he's playing in his crib it's now 11:15. He smacks me during WD and nursing he is so hyper I just really don't know how to contain him, so sometimes WD really isn't productive because I'm sick of being bitten on the shoulder or smack in the face etc.   

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 07:44:10 am »
I'm guessing you are in the midst of the 2-1 nap phase, refusing that morning nap is a classic sign.  Have you seen the FAQ? From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

The strategy suggested would be to change things around so you push the morning nap later in 10-15 minute increments and let him sleep as long as he wants, then do a late afternoon catnap to get through to bedtime.  Have a read of the info and then let me know if you have more questions :)

Offline Anika920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 22:35:38 pm »
Okay so a tweet in his schedule and he's not waking OT. But he's still only taking shorts naps.

woke at 6:30 and on/off fussing until 7:20 I felt he was still tired after nursing so I put him back in his crib and he rested until 8. No sleeping thatimaware of from 6:30 on.
1st nap at 2.75h went down well 40m thought he was maybe going to go back down but didn't.
2nd nap 2.75h took about 20m to fall asleep but he also pooped right after I left the room (he likes to poop at nap time haha) just under an hour. I watched him on the monitor and he laid down and say up but looked sleep slight fussing but fell back asleep after an hour but only for 20m.
I'm planning on having him in bed around 7.
Thoughts? Tweaks?
Honestly I'm just excited he didn't wake screaming his head off at the moment. But I'm thinking he needs that early cat nap or still 2 naps because if he has longer wake times I get super short naps.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 17:50:21 pm »
Are you aiming for a short am or short pm nap? Sorry I'm not entirely clear!  If you are going a short am nap then a short first A is ok, but you'd need to pick a nap length and get him up after that length of time,  so say 40 mins tops.  Then you need to experiment with the second A time to get a better second nap.  At this stage 10 mins longer am nap can make quite a difference to that second A time - I'm guessing after a short first A and UT first nap you got an UT second nap too.  I'd try something like 3h A, 40 mins, 3h A, hopefully long nap, then a longer A before bed.  If the second nap is still short on that then cut the morning nap to 30 mins and slightly shorten the second A time.

If you want to do a long am nap you need to push your first A time :)

Offline Anika920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 21:35:38 pm »
Hey sorry we got stuck down a rabbit hole of madness with NW, sickness and what I keep attributing to molars. But those dang teeth will just not come through! LO is now taking 2 crappy naps. This week he has had nap1: 20m and nap2: 40m and unable to resettle himself or let me help. He wakes up IMO obviously tired, rubbing his face and his little eyes are red. I am really just going for trying to get him some decent day sleep regardless of however he gets it. I think all the tweeks I've been trying have really thrown us off. He is waking between 6:30-7:10 about currently. Sometimes he wakes crying and grumpy other days he is fine to hang out in his crib for a bit. I'd say he is getting about 12.5h total sleep in 24h. He had been fighting me pretty bad at WD for naps so I moved them with an earlier WT and he was doing good. Then I think when he started STTN again he was ready for more WT and I am missing that. I am wondering if I should just shoot for 1 nap since he seems to be all over the place and not really waking rested as is? Today he woke early 6am and grumpy, wouldn't go back to sleep after offering a bottle. Down for first nap at 4h and awake upset in 37 mins. We tried for a second nap early (about 2.5h WT) with no luck. Third attempt (late) is going on an hour of his nap with about 6h WT from his crappy nap  I know we probably should cap his nap, but I am very much under the impression of no longer waking my non-sleeper and letting him get his zzz's where ever he can. Especially with a particularly crappy few days and EW. (as I type just woke after 1h).

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 19:21:39 pm »
Ugh it can be miserable when teeth and the 2-1 collide :(

Ok how about trying a set one nap, with throwing in a random morning catnap as and when needed to get him through?  When it was all going a bit wrong with DS I set nap at 11.30am and just stuck to it.  I often made sure we were out in the car or pushchair at around 9-9.30am and if he dozed off let him have 15 mins before waking him.  It just took the edge off but he'd still settle at 11.30/45am.  Bit messy for a while and EBTs needed, but at least I knew what was happening!