Author Topic: Almost 3 months, consistant nap... of 25min  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Hoksiah

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Almost 3 months, consistant nap... of 25min
« on: January 13, 2016, 21:43:17 pm »
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and English isn't my mother tongue. My apologies for any mistake.

We have a 12 weeks old son who has been challenging from the very start. In terms of sleep, he's always been unable to fall asleep without a tremendous amount of help and might (or might not, if I understand Tracy) have been colicky for a few weeks (crying 3hours straight between 9 and 12 every night). For weeks, he never had a nap during the days. Then, we managed to have him nap (trying all the tricks we read) after up to 45min "help".

A week ago I discovered Tracy's book and we started her method right away. We started four days ago and the improvement is obvious. We're now down to 10min "help" for napping and he takes 4-5 naps a day, of 25min each precisely. His cycle is short (?): 2:15 (E 20min, A 1:40, then 10min to go to sleep (best case scenario) and S 25min. I must add that I don't mind more meals because he needs to put on some weight: he is at the lowest percentile now.
Also, he sleeps long stretch of 3 to 4 hours at night (which magically "turn on" at 9pm. His last nap is at 8pm, 25min sharp...).

I'm not sure what I should do.
25min is extremely short but I can't seem to find a solution: he IS tired (even overtired at the end of the day), he isn't hungry yet (I believe), and there's no putting him back to sleep once he wakes up (crying, always, nap or night sleep). There is no putting him to bed earlier either.
Could he be waking up because he needs to feed every 2:15 hours?
Should I try to make him sleep longer?

If it's useful, from Tracy's temperament quiz, he is almost equally grumpy and touchy (one more answer for touchy). Almost nothing else. He doesn't feel toooo grumpy to me as he smiles a lot and get excited during the day.
He now falls asleep in 10min with shh/patting, pacifier + rocking (rocking only when crying loud, it feels absolutely necessary for the moment, otherwise he has meltdowns...)

Thank you for your opinion!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 22:20:18 pm by Hoksiah »

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Almost 3 months, consistant nap... of 25min
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 02:22:44 am »
Hi there, your English is very good.

At 12 weeks, he probably needs less A time - 1.5hr from when he wakes til when he goes for his nap. 25min nap is often from being overtired.

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 04:02:18 am »
I agree with above ^^.  The Activity time is meant to encompass all everything that happens from eyes open to eyes shut; eating, diaper change, play, book, lullaby and back to sleep.  I think if you cut his A time back, you'll find he has a much easier time staying asleep. 

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 05:01:07 am »
Sorry to have been so short, my son needed me so I posted quickly so you got a reply.

I wonder if you are aiming for 2hr A time which is the starting point siggested in one of Tracy's books, but she specifies that is for babies 4 months and older. I think if baby is waking at say 7am for the day, you should be starting shush/pat about 8:25. Does that make sense?

Offline Hoksiah

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 09:49:01 am »
Thank you for your answers!

I'm going to try tomorrow! I didn't realize he might need even shorter A time because well, he started from absolutely 0 sleep after birth and then 0 nap during the day. I was actually relieved that he started to nap at all, with this method.
I'm usually waiting for his "tired" signs (yawns, rubbing face against me, pulling ears/hair...) but I guess it's already too late?
Sorry, it's my first baby and I've no family around so I'm a bit clueless!

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 10:54:18 am »
Oh, we've all been clueless, I remain clueless about each step of the parenting journey until I learn about it 'on the job', so best get used to that feeling ;)

Keep in mind that the A time will need increasing - 2hr is about right for four weeks' time when he's 4 months, so up to 1:45 at 14 weeks and again to 2hr at 16 weeks or so, then you really have to watch as LOs' needs diverge significantly from then. Best to watch clock to about 10min before nap time, then watch LO for cues and put down for a nap 5-10min after nap time if no cues seen before then - much more natural way to increase A time and easier than missing cues or mistaking boredom for tiredness, tiredness for hunger, etc. Start off with 1.5hr to the clock the first few days, though and see how you go.

He could also be overstimulated - best to turn off TV 30min before nap/bedtime if you use it at all, even having it as background noise was a disaster in our house.

Offline Hoksiah

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 16:37:39 pm »
Ok, so I've been trying to shorten his activity time for a few days but it only resulted in longer struggles to make him sleep. He would eventually fall asleep at around the same time as before, and sleep the same amount of time (actually no, he's been sleeping around 30min lately). I believe that he sometimes wake up tired because he soon rubs his eyes and yawn...

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 21:01:50 pm »
Ok, those 30 min naps are overtired naps, have you tried getting him back to sleep?

Offline Hoksiah

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 14:17:17 pm »
Yes, but he seems to need to feed. He cries and the bedtime routine won't work.
I'm going to the pediatrician tomorrow to check his weight. If he doesn't get enough milk or if the milk isn't good enough (I'm breastfeeding), is it possible it would make his cycles very short because he can't hold longer than 2h?

I'm wondering because in the morning, he can't be overtired. He sleeps a total of 8 to 9 hours at night (in two or three stretches) and gets his first nap one hour and thirty minutes after waking up. And this first nap is also 25 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 17:15:04 pm by Hoksiah »

Offline becj86

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 21:30:14 pm »
He may be trying to feed back to sleep. One of DS' strongest sleep cues was actually for him to latch onto my breast through my shirt...

I wonder about reflux - any signs? Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Can you post your day, eg.
7 - WU, feed
8:30 - nap (30min, woke unhappy)
9 - E
etc.