Author Topic: Clueless with sleep for 10.5mos! Please help!  (Read 956 times)

Offline Sarah luvs Harry

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Clueless with sleep for 10.5mos! Please help!
« on: January 13, 2016, 23:17:39 pm »
DD is 10.5 months old and her sleep is terrible! We are on an EASY pattern but I can't figure out her times.

W + bf: 7:45am
Breakfast: 830
S: 10:30am  (45min)
E (bf): 11:15/30am
Lunch: 12:15pm
S: 2pm (45min)
E (bf) + snack: 3:30pm   
Dinner: 5:30pm
Bath: 6:15pm
Bedtime 6:45/7pm

Wakes somewhere between 8pm-11pm. Nurses. Goes back to sleep. [But if I'm not home, she just sits awake with Dad until I get home]
Sometimes wakes again between 4am-6am for another nurse.

I really can't figure out what time bedtime is. Or if she should be having another nap since she starts yawning half way through dinner. I'm almost positive she is over tired by the time bed time comes around but it's almost impossible for me to get her down any earlier since I"m tied up with dinner activities still.
Can someone please give me some tips on how to deal with this short napper?!  :'(

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Clueless with sleep for 10.5mos! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 14:17:22 pm »
Hi there, so sorry you haven't had a reply to this yet. I agree it does sound like she's OT by BT, with those short naps she's probably not quite getting enough daytime sleep, although her nights sound ok really if she's getting back off to sleep quickly after her feeds? Does she always wake at 7:45am or sometimes earlier? Does she have another bf at BT? Have you tried extending her naps at all? If so, what have you tried? Either way, how does she seem after her 45min naps? Did she ever nap for more than 45mins? It is a long stretch to BT and I know some catnappers that age will take a third catnap, which you may find helps you or may not... Either way in the long run I'd work on extending those naps, and a little more info on what you've already tried and what she's done in past, could help us to work out a plan :-*

Offline Sarah luvs Harry

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 13:52:28 pm »
Yes she goes back to sleep after her night feeds.
Right now, her sleep is all over the place; some days she gets up at 6:30am and others at 7:30am.
She does have another bf at BT.
How do I extend her naps? She always wakes up upset so I'm sure she'd like to sleep longer but not sure how to get her to go back to sleep. Especially during the day. She doesn't ever nap for longer than 45 min. 45 is a long nap for her and 35 min is the norm.
I have been trying the dinner time cat nap for the past few days and I think it has resulted in 6:30am waking.
I guess I don't mind her getting up at that time; I just want her to sleep through the night. I had my son sleeping through the night at 7 months so I'm definitely getting frustrated with my daughter.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 22:59:15 pm »
Hey, sorry haven't been able to get on here much the last couple of days, but will reply properly tomorrow. Can I just ask what help you've given her to fall asleep initially for naps, whether now or in the past? You could use the same things to help her go back to sleep again when she wakes early from a nap, or try wake to sleep - see here: How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 21:48:54 pm »
Ok, back again! Do you think she could cope with a little more A time at the beginning of the day? She's getting a 45min nap off a 3h15min A time, or thereabouts? Have you tried 3.5h? You might find it easier to extend the nap if she's more tired for it in the first place. Her nights actually sound quite good really, I'm just thinking if we can push her naps a bit later (and hopefully get them longer too) then she should be able to get to BT without the OT which could be leading to the NWs in the early evening. Then if she has her first night feed on the later side, she may be able to get through until morning without another feed?

As for how to go about extending naps - how does she respond best at the start of a nap? Does she always settle independently straight away? If you sometimes help her, what do you do? You can do the same when she wakes from a nap - but first give her a chance to see if she'll resettle herself, rather than getting her up straight away. Don't worry if she's making little fussing noises, only go in if she's crying "I need you". If she usually settles independently at the start of a nap, but cries "I need you" after a short nap, then go in to her and see if you can reassure her, tell her it's sleepy time (or whatever phrase you use to tell her it's nap time) and see if she calms down. Even if she doesn't after a while you can still leave the room for a couple of seconds and then go back in and comfort her again. She may not understand at first, if she's used to you going in as soon as she wakes, but eventually she'll work out that you want her to go back to sleep, and if she's tired enough then she might manage it. Even if not, if you stay consistent she may get it the next time, or after a few attempts. Definitely worth trying. Have a read here: Getting back on track using Walk In/Walk Out (WI/WO)

Alternatively, there's the wake to sleep method which I linked to above.