Author Topic: 22 MO pitching fit when putting him in crib  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Bengooch7

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
22 MO pitching fit when putting him in crib
« on: January 14, 2016, 06:58:10 am »
Greetings, all!

My wife and I have a 22mo boy who has been throwing massive tantrums since our move. We have a bedtime routine that we stick to every night at the same time which consists of a diaper change, 20 minute bedtime story, tooth brushing, prayers and 2 lullabies sung by us, then down in the crib.

From about 10 months until 15 months he had been laying down and going to sleep without any fuss every night using this routine. We then had to move (military family) and traveled for 2 weeks, left him with Grandma and Grandpa for about 3 weeks, then he was flown out by family to be with us here in Hawaii. Ever since, he has thrown a huge fit every night right when I go to lay him down, after the bedtime routine. He cries for about 5 minutes then falls asleep. We leave the room when we lay him down because otherwise he just cries and screams at us endlessly.

I suspect my parents didn't hold up the routine or put him to bed at consistent times (they probably just let him pass out at night then put him in bed), but I would think at this point that he would have readjusted. His room is set up exactly the same way it was at the old house, so I doubt it's an environment issue.

2 nights ago we introduced a sound machine (lullabies) for him to listen to when we put him down, but they haven't seemed to help.

It's been almost 3.5 months of this issue and we're not sure what to do!

Any ideas??

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 22 MO pitching fit when putting him in crib
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 18:59:23 pm »
Hi there, what does his day look like wake up/nap/bedtime etc?

Any teeth moving about?

It could be a bit of separation anxiety as it is common at this age and with being away from you! We don't support cry it out methods here so we would suggest gradual withdrawal or walk in walk out if LO is crying at BT.

Zoe