Author Topic: 2.5 sudden sleeping problems  (Read 1592 times)

Offline HaniaJa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:22:33 am »
Hello!
I have a real problem with my DS recently. He has always been a great sleeper, no problems with anything. But for the last 3 weeks everything has changed:
1) he started making up things before going to sleep - we put him to bed and then he starts his asking for: water, pee, pooh, cover him with a blanket, etc - and he can go like this even for an hour. He is cheerful, he doesn't cry, finally he falls asleep (ofcourse it's not truth that he wants to use toilet or drink, he just wants us to come into his room)
2) everynight he gets up once and calls me - he usually doesn't cry - I come in, put him back to bed (as he usually is out of the bed) and he goes back to sleep

No significant changes in his life, no teething, no illness, no trauma.
I don't know, how to react, I don't want him to learn that everytime he wants me in his room I'm in. Should I ignore his "play"? We've just get rid of the diapers, so maybe it's not good to ignore his "pseudotoilet" needs?

His routine por the last 1.5 year till now was:
WU-7:30
Nap - 2pm-4/4:30 pm
BT - 9pm

Please, give me some advice, i'm out of ideas how to get rid of this bad habits! And it really takes me hours to go back to sleep after such "night intervention", I'm pregnant and I go to work everyday, so I'm really exhausted:(
Thank you in advance!

Hania

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 2.5 sudden sleeping problems
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 10:35:39 am »
Hi Hania, thought I'd post as we're going through this exact same thing too. Especially with the call backs to use the loo  ::). It's very, very frustrating, but I remember it happening at the 18mo mark too, so I know ours is developmental. Saying that, as he's been on the same routine for a very long time, it might well be time to cap that nap a bit and see if the slightly longer A time to BT helps. I personally haven't ignored the asking to go to the loo (you can see my post a couple of threads down on this board).

But if it is developmental, this might not work for the time being, but i would try capping that nap a tad, even by 15mins and see if that helps? Have you noticed a difference to how he settles if he's had 2hrs compared to the 2.5hrs nap? xx

Offline HaniaJa

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:09:56 am »
Thank You very much for the answer!
To be honest I don't see any difference...The truth is that veeery often he would like to sleep for longer than 2.5hrs, but I wake him up, bacuase I know that it's a it long, but maybe, as you suggest, I will not allow him to sleep for more than 2 hrs.
I've read that developmental issues can be every half a year, so maybe that's the point...we have never had this before, that is why I'm surprised and frustrated;/

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 13:05:54 pm »
The fact our LO's are both doing the eaxct same thing makes me feel a ittle better about it too  ;). Sorry, but I'm so glad when I find someone else going through it.. misery loves company and all that  ;). 2hr nap would be considered high for his age, but considering your day length is long too, it might not be that high. I wish we still had those naps too, mine is going through the 1-0 and currently refusing naps. With that and the BT shenanigans it's pretty rubbish atm.

What I do know is after the 18mo one when we had multiple call backs about 'nappy' at the time, it did just eventually stop on its own. Whatever I did to tweak her routine made absolutely no difference. I really hope that's the case for both of us this time xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 13:20:00 pm »
I've read that developmental issues can be every half a year, so maybe that's the point..
I would think so.  I still get call backs and sleep disturbance from DS every birthday and half birthday, just running up to it.  I've had several weeks of BT call backs just recently and he turned 5 this week.

As Kelly said, I wouldn't ignore the call backs, this is a time when you are reassuring him that he can always count on you when you are needed.  But you might not always need to be in the room, you may be able to verbally reassure from outside.
It's common enough for potty call backs when they've just dropped the nappy, it's at the forefront of their thinking that they want to be dry even when there is no pressure from parents.  It's also a great way to get attention. A potty in the room might help (if he can manage to use it alone?), I generally responded to the first couple of wee requests and then said something like "You've been wee, go to sleep" either inside or outside the room.  Can you also give him a cup he can handle alone so he has access to water?  I still use the sippy cup with the free flow spout for mine even at 5yo for his night water so it is unlikely to cause a big spill if he does drop it or whatever.

Also as Kelly said I find it easier for me to camp out outside the room whilst call backs are happening so that I am not up and down the stairs all evening.  My DS's recent one was as simple as "I can't sleep" and I began stroking his head to help him relax. After several nights of being called back I decided to just put it into the BT routine until he no longer needed it. So regular routine then I turned the lights off, sat on his bed and began stroking, he gave me a thumbs up when it was ok for me to go.  And now his birthday has passed I can see the phase petering out, it's about 3 seconds of stroking now.  Pretty soon he'll likely tell me to stop doing it.  it is all reassurance, I am pretty sure the anxiety would just build if he was not responded to.

2) everynight he gets up once and calls me - he usually doesn't cry - I come in, put him back to bed (as he usually is out of the bed) and he goes back to sleep
I initially thought this was a BT call back but I think from you saying your sleep is disturbed that this is a NW?  If so, you could try verbal reassurance and instruction. So he calls and you call back "Everything is ok, I'm right here.  Get  in bed and go to sleep" if he continues you can repeat "Get in bed" "go to sleep".  And if he becomes distressed then go.  I did a lot of verbal with mine when he was younger...some of mine was pretty firm "Everything is ok, I am right here taking care of you. It's the middle of the night, Go, to, sleep."  Obviously if mine cried I went, but it's those calls without crying you can call back on.

Offline HaniaJa

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 13:58:17 pm »
Oh, thank You so much for Your answers!

Kelly - I totally understand your relief - I feel the same way, and it makes me think that developmental issue is the most possible and it will vanish one day:).
I felt very bad not answering his calls on one hand, but on the other was afraid to create bad habits. Yesterday I put a potty in his room, but he was calling me anyway, but it was a first try, maybe it will change. It's funny beacuse today I thought about buying a sippy cup so that he could have his water anytime he wants:)

Thanks for the verbal tip - I will do this for sure - although he wakes up and opens the door and comes out of the room, but maybe it will work step by step!

I will let You know!
xxx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 19:24:22 pm »
I think you might be worse off than me as DD still has the sides upon her cotbed! At least mine can't get out! In any case, take solace in the fact you're not the only one going through it atm (I've just managed to sneak downstairs). I usually have a pretty comfortable camp up there now.. pillow, ipad, glass of wine! Care to join me virtually??!  ;) xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 18:49:38 pm »
Would a safety gate across his door dissuade him from leaving the room? I know some can just climb them but mine never has, he just sees it as a barrier and some how knows not to cross it.  I don't even put the lock on DS's which he would be able to open anyway.

Or you might try asking him (before BT) to stay in bed and call you if he needs you instead of getting up.
Or if he comes to your bed then perhaps a silent return?  Is it just once he comes and then settles back down when you take him back?