Author Topic: How do you enforce the gro clock  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
How do you enforce the gro clock
« on: January 15, 2016, 13:59:53 pm »
How do you enforce the gro clock. DD1 3 years and 5 months has been using it for quite a while always kind of hit or miss. Mostly she did really well and was so excited to wait for Mr Sun. Recently she has been calling for me around 6:00 today 5:30 (Mr sun is set at 6:45), I go in tell her its still night time to go back to sleep until mr sun comes up but she just cries and sobs her wee heart out, I want you mummy, I want some milk and wont stop crying until I get her out of bed.

What do you do when they are getting upset like that?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
Re: How do you enforce the gro clock
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 14:25:58 pm »
When mine were going through that I stayed in the room to reassure them but didn't turn the light on or get them out of bed. When it was time to get up I would make a big thing about how the light was on and it was morning.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 14:36:01 pm »
Is it very recent, I mean just a few days or a week?  Maybe a growth spurt?  Mine doesn't get up before his timer lights but during a growth spurt he is incomprehensibly hungry in the morning.  Could it be that she is coming into light sleep and just feeling hungry so is fully waking instead of going back to sleep?  I would think you'd know it was a GS based on how much she's eating the rest of the day.

Could also be the approach to the half birthday and just the general sleep disturbance which comes with that?
A slight drop in sleep needs?  Mine didn't drop his sleep needs until more like 4.5 and I moved his morning lights to 20 mins earlier 5 days per week, plus a story at BT meaning an extra 5-10 min off the night sleep there (so total reduction about 30 min) but when I posted about it I got the impression that many get a drop in sleep needs a bit earlier than my DS.

The lights or gro-clock are great for them to know when they must try to sleep and stay quiet and when they are allowed up but I think they do need to also work with their sleep needs and developments. If you suspect a drop in sleep needs maybe move BT 15-30 min later or add some additional physical activity to the evenings to get her more tired?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 22:00:57 pm »
To be honest I don't think she is ready to drop her sleep needs. She still naps quite happily from 1:15 - 3:00 (I wake her) then BT at 7:30 4 days a week. Since August she started pm sessions at nursery but I only let her go the 3 days she is at the childminder as it means she doesn't get a nap at all that day in which case  she is like a total burst couch and is in bed at 6:30.

I think it is just stubberness. It could well be 1/2 birthday I always forget about that. She has been so clingy recently and cries for mummy, wont even go visit her aunt with daddy now, she wants to stay with me all the time.

Could be due to the fact dd2 was taken into hospital on 31st dec and I had to stay with her over night and didn't come home .

My angel baby girl

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 22:07:50 pm »
I wonder if she needs that nap shortened now? Perhaps it's stealing from her night sleep?

Do you think it's hunger or thirst driving her desire for milk? We've let DS have a cup/bottle of water by his bed, certainly from 3.5yo, if not before, so if he's thirsty in the night he can just sip that. He won't drink so much that he needs the loo, as he just won't drink water at other times ::) but he'll drink it when he's really thirsty. If you think it's more hunger, could you move dinner a little later or give her a little BT snack?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 22:29:23 pm »
My girl never eats. That's a whole other thread. But during the day she always says so so thirsty mummy. (Who knows). She drinks gallons. I'll try leaving water in her bed. She is still in a cot bed with the sides up says it's cosy and gets upset if I say we are taking the bars away.

Maybe I should try capping the nap it's just easy for me cos dd1 (at 16 months) still wakes twice during the night so that's my time to catch up but that will be ending soon once dd2 is on 1 nap anyway.

My angel baby girl

Offline trimbler

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 22:21:38 pm »
How about shaving 15mins off the nap and see what difference it makes? You could even bring BT forward 15mins initially if you think she'll be extra tired, you'd be keeping the same A after the slightly shorter nap that way so it may make her tired enough to sleep a little longer at night - or just leave BT where it is and see how she does.

Have you been leaving her water at night? Any improvement?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 14:55:56 pm »
The water is making no difference . Think I do need to start shaving the nap a bit.  So you find it better cutting the 15 mins from the start or end if the nap? Xx

My angel baby girl

Offline trimbler

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 19:54:34 pm »
We capped it at the end when nights got shorter (trouble settling at BT and/or EW) and pushed it later when he either struggled to settle for the nap or the naps got shorter than he needed - if that makes sense? From what you've said, I'd try shortening it by 15mins and probably keep BT the same, but be ready to put her down a little bit earlier if necessary - I can't honestly remember but I don't think at 3.5yo you need to be quite so worried about OT with the nap shortened by 15mins, others would probably suggest a bigger change but I like to start small and see what happens.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 20:23:32 pm »
It does make sense. I don't think she will get ot cos she's just about copes on her 3 no nap nursery days. Thoroughly shattered and bad behaved but out for the count at 18:30. I'm guessing you would keep BT at that time on those days?

Yes I am very much like you and like little steps at a time. We'll start tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you honey xx

My angel baby girl

Offline trimbler

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 20:31:00 pm »
Oh I forgot about the nursery days... Yes I think I'd probably do the same as you, but can't remember if you said how the nights were after those days?

Ok little steps then - that way hopefully not too much damage if it all goes wrong...but I hope it's a step in the right direction instead :-*

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 20:33:58 pm »
Nursery days she's out like a light then up around 6. But quite tired the next day xx

My angel baby girl

Offline trimbler

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 20:57:27 pm »
Ok so she does 11.5h straight? Probably about the best you can expect, I would think... I think I'd expect a shorter night if BT was too late, but it sounds like you wouldn't want to make it any later, so keep it there I think. Of course someone else may disagree and I'd differ - all seems a long time ago with DS now! Oh but just to clarify, I think keep 7:30pm BT for the 1.5h nap days, sorry I realised I wasn't sure if that was what you meant before. Oh and I don't think I asked before, which are her no nap days? Just wondered if they were consecutive or not?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 21:40:02 pm »
Yeah I don't think I could expect more than 11.5 hours those days . Her no nap days are Mon,  wed, thu in a Friday wu tends to be nearer 5:30 after 2 no nap days in a row. Just to add to it dd2 naps rotten there and has recently only been napping for 35-45 mins all day so had at least 3 nw's on those days too

My angel baby girl

Offline trimbler

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 23:50:02 pm »
Ooh that's hard :-\ I'm afraid I didn't quite understand it all - so she goes to nursery Mon, Wed and Thu so can't nap those days, and goes to a childminder Tue and Fri where she short naps, then she catches up at home during the weekend?