Author Topic: 9 Month Old Not Sleeping Well - Need Input! :)  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Nicky47846

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 Month Old Not Sleeping Well - Need Input! :)
« on: January 16, 2016, 13:35:11 pm »
Hi All!  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading thought these boards and seeing I am not alone in sleep struggles.  I have EBF my 9 month old baby girl happily and still continue to do so.  I don't mind waking up with her at night, but would rather it wasn't so often.  I understand she is only little once and I love all the cuddles - but like I said, maybe not 4-5 times a night?

She slept great until 3 months.  Was sleeping 5-6 hours at a time.  Then after 3 months she started waking more often.  Now at 9 months she will *almost always* wake after 45 min-1 hour of putting her down.  I sort of attributed this to her transitioning out of 3 naps and into 2.  She seems to treat bedtime like her third nap.  Her schedule has become like this:

8 AM wake up
8-8:15 BF
9:30 some solids
10 AM nap
11 AM wake up
12:30 eat
2 PM nap
3:30-4 wake up
5:30 eat
7 PM start bed routine (bath, massage, book, nurse)
8-8:30 asleep

Now she nurses to sleep (Which I know can lead to frequent night wakings) and I have my husband alternate putting her to bed each night.  She isn't dependent on nursing to fall asleep, but regardless if I put her to sleep or my husband she is up within 45 minutes- 1 hour.  I tried the wake to sleep last night and she did sleep for an additional 45 minutes, but then was up again.  Then decided she would be up for 2 hours before going to bed at 11 and slept for 3 1/2 hours.

She typically will sleep around 2-3 hours after her first initial quick waking, and then after that she is up every hour or so.  I have gotten so tired I will bring her in the bed so I can get some sleep and she will nurse on and off. I found that she nurses a lot but it seems to make her fussy and she can't fall asleep and fidgits until I pick her up then she goes completely limp and is passed out.  But doesn't stay that way when I put her down.

I know it seems erratic, but any suggestions?  We tried the PUPD when she was 4 months and it seemed to make her sleep worse if that is even possible.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 9 Month Old Not Sleeping Well - Need Input! :)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 20:08:51 pm »
Hi and welcome to the boards!  :)

I wonder if she's actually OT by BT. That is actually classic of a too long of an A before BT behaviour. Can you see from your routine you only have a 2hr first A, then a 4-4.5hr last one?

Now the last A is within the realms of *average A time for a bubba, however some prefer a shorter A to BT. So, I wouldn't reduce your length of day at this point as that looks fine, but look at shifting it so it's a bit more balanced for you. 2hrs first A is actually what we'd expect for a 5mo, so I do know she'll be capable of much more.

So, how do you feel about adding on 15mins to that first A and reducing the last one by 15mins at the same time? I'd then hold that for 2 days then do the same again. WDYT? Fancy keeping me posted? I think we'll still have to move it along a tad more, but this should give us a good starting point.

If you can try and rouse her before putting her into bed after nursing. It's great you feel she's not dependant on it at BT but I do wonder if we've got a little prop there int he night time. Once we've got the day sorted for you and stop that OT before BT we'l see where we stand with the NW's then take it from there ok? xx

Offline Nicky47846

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 16:58:18 pm »
Thanks so much for the tips!

I implemented extending the morning earrings and reducing the night. Now she has thrown me completely off and will be awake 2.5-3 hours before first nap, 4 hours after waking before second nap, and 4.5 hours before she will go to sleep at night.

I should comment she has been teething nonstop for 6 months (has 10 teeth now) and getting her bottom molars in.

She wakes after 1.5-3 hours, so she has stopped waking after 45 minutes which is great, but still is up every 1-2 hours after initial sleep.  I realize this all might stem from th teething, but any other thoughts are greatly appreciated!  :)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 07:51:28 am »
Hi I'm so so sorry for the late reply, to say things have been hectic at home is an understatement  :-\

Is the waking up 1-2 hours after BT or all night Hun? The latter could definitely be discomfort, the former could be too long of an A before BT. If you could post yesterday's easy for me in real time I'll take a peek for you. Ibuprofen is the best medication for teeth, have you tried that?

Yay to the longer naps though, well done you xx