Author Topic: Is this habitual waking?  (Read 835 times)

Offline bouldertc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:08:44 am »
Hi, I have a 5.5 month old spirited baby boy. We tried very, very hard to get him on a schedule with a consistent A time to no avail and after trying other things, what ended up working was more of a set schedule. I worked with a professional sleep trainer to work out his schedule, so it's not exactly how the BW books propose, but it works for us and its the first predictable thing we've been able to manage. So, our schedule is something like this:

Wakes up between 6am and 7am
Feeds immediately upon waking
First nap is between 7:30am and 8:30am (depending on wake time)
Feeds 30 minutes before second nap
Second nap is 11:30am if first nap was bad, 12:30pm if first nap was good.
Feeds again about an hour later
Feeds 30 minutes before bedtime
Bedtime is 3.5 hours after waking from second nap (usually between 5pm and 6:30pm)
Feeds once in the night, usually between about 12am and 2am

I realize this is unorthodox compared to the EASY schedule that works for many, but it really does work for us. Here is my issue:

The baby is at home 4 days per week and he goes to daycare 3 days per week. For the days he is at home (I don't have detailed descriptions of what happens at daycare), he wakes from his second nap (which starts around 12:30pm, but he doesn't always fall asleep right away) at exactly 1:24pm about half the time. The other half of the time he sleeps great until 2pm or 2:30pm. At first I was thinking he was just waking after one sleep cycle or something, but I noticed that the times he actually falls asleep are variable between 12:28pm and 12:41pm, so to wake at the exact same time fairly regularly seems weird. Is this what the BW books call habitual waking? Would you suggest I try Wake to Sleep? If so, what specifically would that look like?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: Is this habitual waking?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:36:13 am »
I would give w2s a shot. You could go in about 10 minutes before he'll wake and nudge him so he stirs. That should start a new sleep cycle. It will take a few days.
Here's a link with more details How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014