Author Topic: 13 month resisting sleep with NW/EW. DH wants CIO  (Read 960 times)

Offline ljearnshaw

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
13 month resisting sleep with NW/EW. DH wants CIO
« on: January 17, 2016, 21:22:17 pm »
Hello there,

I posted on here a few weeks ago regarding tweaking the schedule but things seem to be going from bad to worse and we're desperate for some guidance. 5-6 NWs at night and still getting EW's. We're also concerned that we're getting into some accidental parenting....

LO used to fall asleep on his own until recently. We spent a month traveling over christmas and this is where the problems started. He's really resisting sleep especially at bedtime. We rarely need to pick him up but we have to have a hand on his back to calm him and stop him crawling.  Just standing with him in the room isn't an option as within seconds he's up on his feet throwing the soother and full of beans. Last night this went on for an hour and a half at which point DH started talking about CIO again. What can we do to start teaching him to fall asleep on his own and self soothe?

We've been really trying to figure out the schedule as we know some of the problems could be OT. We went to one nap in December as we noticed he was falling asleep better once the afternoon catnap was gone. After the problems this last week though we tried going back to 2 but he absolutely resists the second nap even in the stroller. The new plan is really pushing the morning nap back as much as possible but even at 12:30 he's full of beans! I don't think he has time in his busy day for sleep anymore!!!  :P

Yesterday looked like this....
6:30 Wake/BF
7:30 Breakfast
9am Snack
11am Milk
Noon Snack
12:30-2:30 Nap
2:30 BF
3pm Lunch
4:30 Snack
5:30 Dinner
6:30 BF/ Bed

NW's are usually brief but sometimes we'll be with him for an hour. More often than not he's just sat up crying sometimes with the soother still in.

I realize this could be teething/developmental(he's on the brink of walking) and if its just a phase we can handle it but are we accidental parenting and how do we break this and teach him to self soothe?

I so appreciate your help!!!
Many thanks,

Laura

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 13 month resisting sleep with NW/EW. DH wants CIO
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 03:04:20 am »
If he was able to self soothe before I would imagine it is a developmental blip. Tbh having to use a hand to soothe him is a pretty simple prop and easy to wean off of if it becomes an issue. My DD3 always seems to go back to needing some help during developmental stuff and she is normally a kid I can plop in bed and walk away.

Do you think he needs a bit longer A time to bed perhaps? Or more physical activity to wear him out?
Heidi