Author Topic: 2.5 yr old worse than a newborn  (Read 9727 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 20:18:43 pm »
Ok, you had one good night. Was anything different with the second night? I would try not to give up right now unless you are convinced that this approach will not work.  Consistency is key, Tracy always said.  Do you think he cares about/understands the reward chart?

Perhaps off the wall but do you think he would sleep better if he shared with you? (don't hate me).  I'm thinking of the examples Tracy gives where parents had to help children learn that their cot/bedroom was a good/safe/nice place to sleep, a few of those had parent sleeping in the child's room and doing Gradual Withdrawal of themselves from the room.

You have it really tough, there is no doubt about it. hang in there.  Any way you can catch a nap in the daytime? ((hugs))
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 2.5 yr old worse than a newborn
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 20:33:06 pm »
Ah Hun sometimes they do regress, but keeping consistent will be the key, also agree with idea of sleeping with you might just give u all a bit of respite.
I have a friend who after a lot of trying has let her DS have an air bed in her room as they were just getting so desperate at nights....he used to sleep through and they were all happy. A year on he's happy back in his own bed, he just needed to be near people at that time. Not saying this is for you but might be worth thinking about for the short term x
Zoe

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 21:18:29 pm »
I've tried sleeping with him and he just thinks it's playtime and the last time I did it last week he talked to me for 2.5 hours at midnight, I had my back to him the whole time so I wasn't encouraging it.

I'm sitting at the Drs now, I'm gonna ask for a sedative to give him for a week, I feel this is a bad habit he's gotten into and numerous people have told me that when their dr gave their LO a sedative for a week it helped them snap out of it. I'm desperate enough to try anything.

I don't think he cares about the reward chart because when I talked to him this morning saying it was really sad that he didn't get to put a sticker up today because he was awake and out of his bed last night he didn't care at all.

I actually held the door shut as he screamed behind it last night because it was actually the safer option. I knew if I went in there I would lose it and hurt him. He screamed for about 15 mins and I kept saying through the door to go to sleep, it was time to go to sleep etc. when he finally calmed down he went back to bed and began talking to himself!!!!
Then he cried. Like a real cry. He needed me then and so I went to him. I told him he had woken me up, his brothers and his toys and that we were all very tired and going back to sleep. He nodded and went back to sleep. He would not have heard me if I had tried that earlier. He did continue to wake every half an hour after that but not to the point I had to go to him.
Nothing was different the second night. I stuck to what worked the night before lol

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 04:23:02 am »
Well, an interesting update. Dr has prescribed melatonin which I've now given him and he's in bed. Also he looked at the medication he's on for his asthma and guess what the side effects are????

Behavior/mood changes, hostility, aggression, agitation, vivid and unpleasant dreams, , confusion, anxiety, hallucinations, sleepwalking, suicidal thoughts, suicidal actions (including suicide), insomnia, tremor, and depression.

Ugh.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 07:12:52 am »
Goodness that's a lot of side effects, if there any different medication u can change too? Hope he sleeps well for u x
Zoe

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 07:23:55 am »
Yes, we will try something else, it's just that that particular medication has done amazing wonders for his asthma, it's pretty much gone... But these side effects... He's woken twice tonight so far and it's 8pm. He was crying a hard demanding cry. I waited for the "need" cry and it never came. I sat at the top of the stairs and hid. I heard him stop crying and take a drink then back to sleep. The dr said the results wouldn't be instant but let's hope we get somewhere fast.
I've got friends who talked to me today and that they are really worried about me and are thinking an intervention was in order. If these new meds etc don't work I'll take the intervention

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 14:18:54 pm »
WOW first of all HUGE HUGS to you. It sounds so rough.
Waking so often does not sound behavioral to me. In my experience fighting BT, a loooong NW or EW is routine related or behavioral. But waking so often (like every half hour as you said in your earlier post) is due to some kind of discomfort or medical issue.
Just a thought ... have you checked his mouth lately? 2.5 year old is prime time for getting those 2 year molars. I know you do not want to talk too much when he wakes to not escalate things but is he able to verbalize what upsets him?   
*Suzanna*

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 16:04:50 pm »
I'm wondering similar things, tbh. 

So the medication could be disturbing his sleep? Will it be changed? Can you relate changes in sleep to giving that medication?  Or could he have another issue, like sleep apnea? Or even just normal old teeth as Suzanna says?  It's an awful lot of sleep disruption to be habit.  It seems a lot to be teeth either.

Did GP look him over at all?

Lots of hugs. I hope your friends could maybe watch the boys while you relax or sleep one day.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 18:22:12 pm »
I would think he would have the odd night where he crashes and does a long night if it were purely habit or SA.

Good idea to get him checked over if you haven't already. We did have NW at 2.5 and that was teeth and developmental for us but it was never that many NW constantly.

Your friends sound good so like Anne says could they look after DS for a few hours?x
Zoe

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 18:40:21 pm »
Yes he's def got the two year old molars popping through, they are about half way. But even with nurofen and paracetamol he's still waking. He stops his asthma medication today so it will still be in his system last night. I gave him the melatonin last night. Even after that cr@ppy night he refused a nap yesterday so I put him to bed at 5;15pm. Instantly asleep. He woke twice but put himself back to sleep.
Then 2.25am he woke up and came out of his room, he refused to go back to sleep til 4:30am
He asked for a drink, I told him his drink bottle was beside his bed and he knew how to use it, he never too the drink which tells me he didn't really need it.
He threw his dummy on the floor then proceeded to cry for his dummy, I told him he threw it, he can pick it up. He didn't for ages.
He then changed to wanting a hug. Normally I would but to me this is just a tactic right now. I told him I was tired and going to bed and goodnight. He said "goodnight!" And I walked away, 10 mins later we se repeating the whole thing. This went on for two hours. Then he finally put himself back to sleep and woke up at 7am when ds2 decided to walk in and tell him it was time to get up!!!!

It's still a better night than what we've been having.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 21:55:44 pm »
Nothing helped with our molars just had to ride it out. Hoping tonight's better for u x
Zoe

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 22:53:37 pm »
I just saw this post Jo and wanted to offer hugs.

I also wondered about something like sleep apnea. Has the dr considered anything like that?

I hope it is the medication and changing it helps him be more settled and gets you more sleep. Fingers crossed.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 07:15:24 am »
I've watched him sleep and seen no sign of apnea, dr doesn't seemed worried that it's that bit of course if this continues I'll be sure to bring it up again.

He was in an amazing mood today and I'm sure it's because the sleep he did get was a deep sleep from the melatonin. He even had a nap in the car today, only about 15mind cos we had to get out of the car but then tonight again he was so tired his eyes were almost red half an hour after I had given him the melatonin. He was so tired at bedtime he could barely handle the story and kept turning over to go to sleep, that's never happened!!!

Stay tuned for night two!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 07:23:24 am »
Bless him he must be exhausted with all the NW. Hope you get a good sleep too x
Zoe

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator