Author Topic: 2.5 yr old worse than a newborn  (Read 9737 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2016, 09:44:23 am »
I just did the know your toddler quiz and he's come out as touchy spirited if that helps

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 2.5 yr old worse than a newborn
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2016, 10:05:10 am »
I guess in a way it may be kinder overall to deal with all the things you 'don't want' so to speak at once rather than having to do everything again a second time?  You do know him best though :-* I would do as you have been and offer lots of reassurance, and I'd probably go a bit overboard on the praise of how well he's doing, isn't he so grown up (or whatever you think would appeal to him) in the daytime and try to make him see the dummy going as a positive :)  I know this was perhaps unplanned but maybe the 'dummy fairy' could visit and bring a little something in exchange for the dummies?

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2016, 10:13:47 am »
We did get rid of the dummy a few months ago but after three weeks he had a near drowning incident which kicked all this off and the dummy came back because he was hysterical at night and I felt it was the right thing to do at the time so I know he can sleep without it.

When he got into bed tonight he looked at his sticker chart and said "aaaaaaaall night long" because I've been praising him when he sleeps all night long without getting up so it must be sticking in his head a little.
I will continue tonight as I have been. Perhaps the issue is actually the dummy and maybe this will resolve it? Who knows! I'll take it one night at a time!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2016, 10:14:59 am »
One night at a time is all any of us can do :)  Hope it's a good one x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2016, 10:38:54 am »
Just catching up, hope the night is a good one. Stick with it, might be a tough couple of nights but I'm sure he will get it  :) xx
Zoe

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2016, 12:05:12 pm »
FX for you guys Jo.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2016, 18:21:02 pm »
It wasn't too bad actually. He woke a couple times but I didn't go to him every time, just one time when he called out "help me mum" and it was his blankets were completely off him, so I sorted them out. He didn't resettle so I stood at his door and with a slightly firm voice I said "you are fine, go back to sleep, goodnight" and he did.  Was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. Perhaps because he's taken the melatonin that made him a bit more relaxed so it wouldn't have bothered him too much to not have the dummy

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2016, 10:45:54 am »
That's great :) hopefully the start of good things to come x

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2016, 12:34:50 pm »
Sounds like you're doing really well.

he's come out as touchy spirited
With my touchy spirited, it was important to be firm as well.  Any hint of wavering and we were into the madness. But being gentle was also important, shouting, leaving him alone, that sort of thing, just made him wound him up. Difficult to balance to strike and *of course* I didn't always manage it. So yes keep channeling that firm but warm voice.  ::)  and tons of physical contact during the day was (still is) very important to him feeling grounded.

he had a near drowning incident
oh the poor love!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2016, 17:49:03 pm »
Well he's sick with a cold now! Lol it does not rain but it pours! He still slept all night even tho he has no dummy and was coughing, he just woke really early but to me that's not a real issue.
Guess we will just see the cold through for now

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2016, 19:03:20 pm »
Aww poor boy! Lots of healthy vibes for a quick recovery from the cold xx.
Heidi

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2016, 13:34:24 pm »
I was just thinking about you ... how are things going?
*Suzanna*

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2016, 17:35:07 pm »
His cold was only a minor one, lasted about a day and a half. We are still on the melatonin so the wakings are minimal. And now he's also waking earlier.. Anywhere from 5:30am
I've dropped the nap completely because it just meant a late night and a 9.5-10 hour one as well. Now we are getting about 11 hours without it. One or two wakings. So in overall it's better but I know he needs more sleep, I can tell he does, he's exhausted by evening. I'm trying set bedtimes of 6:30pm. He's waking at 5:30am so without a nap that's a very lon day for him.
He's always been slightly HSN, if he missed his usual 45 min nap he would do up to 15 hour nights and right up until recently, just before all this horrible sleep business kicked up.
I'm trying to see it in a good light, that at least we aren't having nights like before but still like I said I know it's not enough for him...
We still have the occasional 1.5-2 hour wake up and then he's still up early, so he did that the other night, only had 10 hours night sleep. I figured he would make it up the next night like he usually used to do but no he didn't. Surely he's exhausted? But I can't seem to make him sleep more. And I'm worried that once I stop the melatonin he wil just revert? I'm trying to get his body to sync with routine times as I feel that will work for him

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2016, 17:38:52 pm »
Oh and also the dummy is completely gone. He threw it across the room and "lost it" I told him that it was lost after he threw it and for some reason because he was the cause of this he accepted it straight away and has only asked for it twice and I just spas "remember you threw dummy and it got lost" and he's fine with it. So that's eliminated one prop

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2016, 21:15:26 pm »
WOW I think you have come a long way. Do you feel better now with more sleep for yourself?
*Suzanna*