Author Topic: Naps and night waking  (Read 807 times)

Offline Aliceandlily

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:53:22 am »
Hi everyone.

I have a LG who is 7 months old. She was sleeping great at night until a few weeks ago. We now however, have a wide awake 2hours in the middle of every night (approx 2-4am). I'm guessing that her day time naps are affecting this and looking for some advice? It is definitely not a wake up due to hunger, as she struggles to take even a few ounces at her 7am bottle. When she wakes, she's not upset, just chattering. I leave her in her cot and just keep returning to replace her dummy, until she finally falls back asleep.

She generally wakes around 645am. If she's not awake, I'll wake her no later than 7.15am.
Nap 1- 9/930ish. This can be anywhere from 30mins to 1.5hr. If she has 30 mins, she is clearly still tired and very grumpy until her next nap. If she has 1.5hrs, she will struggle to sleep at her next nap! No happy balance?!
Nap 2 - 1pm if she had just a 30 min earlier. Otherwise 130/145pm, if she had a decent/long earlier nap. Again, this nap can range between 30 mins-2hrs, dependant on the earlier nap.
Nap 3 - cat nap at around 5pm for a max of 30 mins. I always put her down about 4pm, when she is showing signs of tiredness but she really fights this nap, even though she is hysterical due to over tiredness.
Bedtime - 7pm.

My thoughts are that I need to eliminate the cat nap....but she is just so OT by the time the afternoon rolls around!

We are baby led weaning and she is hardly 'eating' anything at the min. Bottles are 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm.

Since the night waking have appeared, she is v grumpy during the day. She isn't teething at present, just clearly OT.

I don't know whether to try and cap her morning nap to give her the opportunity to have a longer and more restorative afternoon nap? Or just eliminate the cat nap first? Not sure where to go from here - help 😉😊

TIA xxx

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Naps and night waking
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 21:57:00 pm »
I would definitely eliminate the cat nap.  I think you'll find that makes a big difference and it will probably promote better day time sleep as well.  You could try capping her morning nap at 1hr but let's just try dropping the CN first and see how that goes.  If necessary, move her bed forward by 30 minutes. 

Offline Aliceandlily

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:22:02 am »
Thanks for responding 👍 we have had some success with the elimination of the cat nap. She seems happier during the day and is sleeping longer at night. At the min, we are having one morning of a 6-7am waking (which is great!), with just a dummy pop in at some point. But then every other morning, she is waking at about 5:15ish. I'm trying to remain consistent in my approach and not put her down for her first nap until at least 9am. I'll stick with no catnap for now and then additionally tweak the morning nap, if this continues xx