Author Topic: Happy Night wakings  (Read 22814 times)

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:59:27 am »
So I've just got my naps sorted with help from the naps board. Now I have night wakings. Well we always had nws from 5am onwards but now we have 3am happy babbling which goes on for a quite a while until he starts getting cross. Then I move him back into a more comfortable position and give him the dummy. He seems to drop off but then starts again 20 mins later. This continues til he wakes at 4. 30 crying for a bottle so I feed him as usual. And then we have the usual nws til half 6 when suddenly he wants to sleep but we have to be up at 7am.
This is how the last 2 days have looked.
Sunday
Wu 6.50
E 7.30
S 8.45
Wu 10.15
E 11.30
S 1 (lots or resetting at 55min/1hr mark)
Wu 3.30
E 3.30
S 5.15 but only for about 10mins
Bt 7pm
Wu 12am happy babbling til 12.30 when I gave dummy.
Wu 3am on and off happy til feeding at 4.30.
Monday
Wu 7.20
E 7.30
S 9.00
Wu 11.00
E 11.30
S 1. 00 in pushchair out and about
Wu 1.30
S 3.15 on school run
Wu 3.45
Refused to sleep in car at 5.30 on way back from eldests swimming lessons.
S Bt 6.45
Wu 8pm (OT screaming)
Wu 3am happy babbling on and off til feeding at 4.30.

4.30ish has been  his feed time for a while now. I don't think he's hungry at 3am he is just chatting and playing away.
I know that was a bad afternoon but couldn't be helped due to errands and swimming lessons.
Gemma

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Happy Night wakings
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 07:52:08 am »
So sorry for the late reply, things have been rather hectic, how's it going now?

Have these NW's started since the naps lengthened?

What I do notice is that in the later part of your day he only got 10mins sleep between 3.30-7pm, that's quite a long A really. Same with Monday. I wonder if OT is at work here. Have you managed to get a decent CN out of him the last day or so? xx

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 09:25:21 am »
Hi, yes those last 2 days were bad for catnaps! Mondays always are because of his brothers swimming lessons. Last 2 days we have had a catnap of 45 and one of 30. The nws didn't start exactly as naps lengthened.
The last 2 nights he has gone through without a feed! Tuesday night he didn't wake at all til 5am for his dummy and that was it til 7am. Wednesday night he woke 3am for his happy babble. I left him to it til he got grumpy, gave the dummy and back to sleep til 6.30am. So not too bad. I am always worrying that I'm giving him too much sleep. The 4 hour easy of 2x2hr naps and 1 catnap, we could achieve but I'm scared to incase it's too much sleep. If I just let him have 1hr 30 naps then it throws the day off as we work on 7 til 7 day. The end of the day never works out right. I'm scared of early bedtime too! I'd rather have a little OT I think. Though that's probably completely wrong way to think!
Gemma

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 17:31:30 pm »
There never seems enough hours in the day does there?! I definitely think you need that longer CN, but maybe if you have one nap of 2hrs, one of 1.5 and a decent CN of 30mins or more then maybe that'll work out better for the time being? Remember he will start to increase his A times soon, so the day will naturally fall better.. that is until the 3-2 of course  ;).

If anything I'd rather OT at the beginning of the day if you can, so stretch that first A. I'd much rather resettle a nap from OT than have OT nw's like you have been doing. WDYT? xx

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 19:26:56 pm »
OK that's a plan I've been wondering about actually.  We had awful ot  at bedtime tonight, struggled to get him to take his bottle and then he zonked.
Today was this
Wu 7am
S 9 til 10.30
S 12.30 til 2.30
S 4.45 til 5.15
BT 7

I know the a times before and after catnap are all wrong. Also I struggle to get a longer first a time as he falls asleep on school run. But if I push out the next a time it will push everything later and then a less ot evening. Is that what you mean?
Can the a time before the catnap be a full one/longer one?
So tomorrow I could try this
Wu 7am
S 9.15( if I can stop him dropping off in the pram earlier) til 10.45
S 1pm til 3pm I have to leave for school at 3 so would have to wake a few minutes earlier.
S 5.15 til 5.45
BT 7pm

What do you think? I don't want him to sleep too close to bed time but the current time isn't working as he is a state after bath .
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 19:29:30 pm by choc »
Gemma

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 07:59:25 am »
I think we can just try it and see. If we can't stretch the first one and frankly that does look good for his age, we could look at pushing the next one like you said. You could actually bring the CN slightly earlier and let him sleep up to an hour or even 45mins and I thnk that might help you get to the 7pm BT. Remember the A time will decrease after a shorter nap, but if the nap is longer than 30mins, e might just make it? wdyt?

Having a longer CN shouldn't interfere with BT too much really as w've not got enough hours int he day to work with yet. I reckon this will only be in place a matter of weeks before he's stretching his A time and you can knock a bit off the CN in exchange for longer A's earlier int he day xx

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 09:24:42 am »
What would be the latest you would let him sleep for the catnap in order to keep 7pm bedtime?
Last night we had happy chatting at 3.30 for 20 mins til he got grumpy and I gave dummy. 4.30 same again. 5.45 same again.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:27:54 am by choc »
Gemma

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 19:45:57 pm »
Ahh that's yucky  >:(.

For a 7pm BT, I would allow maybe 1.5hrs after a 45mins nap and maybe as short as an hour after a 30mins nap? We can only give it a go and see what works. Mine always preferred a shorter A to BT. I knew it at that age, forgot for a while then remembered after someone pointed out to me on here when we were having issues!

What we do know is that 1hr 45mins is too much after a 30mins CN so we can just work backwards from there xx

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 11:06:31 am »
Thanks Kelly. He went to bed without being OT for the first time in ages yesterday but we still had lots of babbling night wakings. Ill see how it goes for the next couple of nights. I'm experimenting with 2x2hrs and a 30 min catnap today.
Gemma

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 18:57:54 pm »
Kepp me posted ok? It may take a few days, then we can reassess if needs be xx

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 20:07:34 pm »
Thanks will do! Today ended up being  1x2hr, 1x1hr30 and 45min. With 1hr 15 min to bt. Let's see what tonight brings!
Gemma

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 17:34:51 pm »
So he slept through last night! Let's hope it wasn't a one off!
Gemma

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 18:56:38 pm »
Yay!!  ;D Let's keep that short A to BT then! whatever else happens during the day, just try and keep that one short after the CN and don't be too tempted to push it! xx

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 20:04:16 pm »
Ok, thanks for the advice! We have done the same again tonight although he got the hiccups after his bottle so it took longer for him to drop off. And tomorrow is the dreaded swimming lesson day where it all goes wrong! I will do my best to keep it short!
Gemma

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 07:44:31 am »
So he was up every hour and a half last night! How can it be so different. Both days were pretty much the same and the same catnap etc. We were resettling at 9.30, 10, 11.30, 1.30, 3, 5.30, 6, 6.30. Then woke him at 7.30.
Gemma