Author Topic: Happy Night wakings  (Read 22817 times)

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2016, 19:16:12 pm »
That's interesting, how did it help you? I did a 9. 30am nap this morning but let him sleep as long as he wanted because I felt he was overtired from the holiday and day of travelling yesterday. He did 9.30 to 10.55, 2 til 3.50. Hopefully tonight will be OK and no ew or long nw!  If he seems over his OT tomorrow then I will go for the short am, long pm. I am thinking 9.30 to 10.15, 1 til 3. If he doesn't give a full 2 hours in the pm then I will need to adjust the morning nap right? How long should I give it before seeing if it works? If he doesn't do the 2 hour pm nap should I change it the very next day? Also will I hit some OT because I am capping  the am nap short?
Sorry for all the questions!
Gemma

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Happy Night wakings
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2016, 19:28:17 pm »
Well, see how the pm nap goes, ie if he wakes earlier but seems refreshed, like he's had plenty of sleep, then you may want to shave a little off the am nap the next day, or extend his A before the pm nap instead. But if he wakes earlier and really isn't happy about it and you feel he's OT, then you can try resettling and iiwm, I'd probably try the same again the next day, since it would take me a few days to know for sure that it's OT waking him because I was pushing him too hard, rather than him waking for some other reason. It can take a while for them to adjust to sleeping a bit longer in the afternoon - same applies when going to one nap too.

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2016, 21:02:24 pm »
Ok thanks for the advice. Hopefully he'll be over the ot tomorrow and we can give it a go.
Gemma

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2016, 19:54:11 pm »
That's interesting, how did it help you?
I think it helped DD get over accumulated OT and it just fit better with her body clock. I started getting better morning naps with the earlier time.

If he's OT from your holiday, I would actually give him another day of following his lead and letting him nap as long as he wants. I found sometimes  day or 2 of that really helped my DS get things sorted out.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2016, 20:27:25 pm »
I did exactly that Lily! Let him do what he wanted today, which was
Wu 6.45 (great Wu for us and great night too)
S 10.15 to 11.30 (weird length?)
S 2.40 to 4 (weird again?!)
Bt 7

As I said we had a great night last night with just a quick wake for dummy at 5am then up at 6.45. He woke happy after 1st nap and was happy for all next A time.
Gemma

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2016, 01:54:00 am »
That's great :)
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline trimbler

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2016, 23:24:21 pm »
Celebrating with you :)

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2016, 15:34:06 pm »
Ok so here I am again! I did not start the short am, long lunch routine because after I let him have his catch up days he was able to handle a 3hr30 A time so I had another bash at his original easy, hoping that the longer A would sort things out.
So I aimed for this today
Wu 7
S 10.30 to 12 (didn't want to think he'd do 2 hours again!)
S 3.30 to?
Bt?

He ended up doing this
Wu 7
S 10.30 to 12.30 and I woke him at 12.30!
S 3.45 to
And this is where we are now.
Ive not really got any idea how long to let him sleep now and then what Bt should be. If I have to wake him is it OK that I woke him from both naps today?
Also I prefer Bt at 7pm, 7.30 pm would be the latest I could go to,  to fit in with ds1.
So should I cap second nap at 45 mins or an hour? I'm guessing no longer than that. What would the final  A time be after 45 mins and what would it be after an hour?

Praying for a good night tonight after the day has gone to plan so far. Had another 1 hour waking last night. 4.30 to 5.30,but then slept til 7 which was quite late for him! Would a 7.30 bt help things do you think?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 15:37:54 pm by choc »
Gemma

Offline trimbler

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2016, 19:50:37 pm »
Ok so yet again I didn't get to this in time to answer for today - how did it go? I'm guessing he was UT for his second nap, so hopefully he'd have done a slightly shorter one of his own accord? Sorry not brave enough to guess the optimum A after a 45/60min pm nap, I'd just say something less than 3.5h... LOs do vary in what they can handle and I have no personal experience of doing it that way around.

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2016, 06:36:18 am »
So I woke him after 1 hour so he had 3.45 to 4.45. He was asleep at 7.20pm. Nws at 3.30 for a while, 5am, 6am then dozed on and off til I woke him at 7.15am.
Thinking maybe the last A was too short. Maybe I'll wake at 45 mins today.
Gemma

Offline trimbler

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2016, 19:46:36 pm »
Sorry, on my working days I just don't get on until the evening! Keep us posted whenever you like, but don't forget, you know him best, and I think you have a good idea of where you're going :-*

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2016, 20:07:03 pm »
To be honest, I don't think his nws can be totally related to my easy. It's been 4 months now, in that time I've tried many different routine changes including going through the 3 to 2 and nothing has really changed. I am scared how long he will continue to do this for as I can't sleep train if he is happy. So I think I'll just have to continue on as I am for now. Eventually I may think of ditching the dummy and see if that helps, but not now while he is teething.
Gemma

Offline trimbler

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2016, 20:20:27 pm »
Hmm he does have some better nights though, doesn't he? Even if he still wakes, he sometimes resettles more quickly, right? If he's teething tbh I'd expect him to wake, but if there are more nights when he's waking for shorter periods of time, then I'd take that as improvement... If you feel that capping the second nap more will help and/or doing a longer A to BT, then go ahead and try it :-*

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2016, 20:26:01 pm »
He has done some nights where he resettled quicker, less than  an hour, and where he sttn. But then will have a bad night on the same routine. Yes I expect him to wake when teething but it can't have been that since January. I'll keep tinkering I suppose I just feel Completely done in by it all.
Gemma

Offline trimbler

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2016, 20:34:06 pm »
(((Hugs))) sleep deprivation is rough :-\

Don't forget that after a good night he'll likely be more refreshed and then may need a routine the next day which has a little less daytime sleep, if that makes sense?

Are you ever able to sleep in another room and let DH do the MOTN resettling? I'm not saying every night, but I know what a difference it makes to me to get a good night's sleep once in a while :-*