Author Topic: do I need to introduce a lovey?  (Read 863 times)

Offline centrestage88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: January 19, 2016, 15:00:54 pm »
Hi
Lo is almost 11 mths. Thank to you ladies he's been sleeping pretty well. He's down to one nap.

He has been sleeping in his cot from birth and I've always kept it bare ( ie: no toys, pillows, bolsters. Just a mattress A mesh crib liner) as I was afraid of them suffocating him.

Recently he had some NWs but thankfully he went back to Sttn.

At 11 months, do I need to introduce a lovey for him to hug? Do they need something to hug when they sleep? Do they feel lonely/uncomfortable without anything to hug at night? ( I'm wondering if im projecting my own emotions onto my child as I always need a pillow And a blanket to sleep)

Or is it okay to keep his cot bare if he's sleeping fine?

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 18:25:09 pm »
 I say if it isn't broke, no need to fix it, yk?    ;)

But that said....I am a strong proponent of lovies....because they can offer comfort when we aren't there, and a child can use them to self-soothe.   So while there is no "need" for a lovey or blankie, I have found it to be something that really helped my dd in times of stress or sleepiness or upset when nothing else could console her. 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: do I need to introduce a lovey?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 02:06:40 am »
Hi there...so glad to hear things are going good! So far only my middle DD truly had a lovey (well two - a blanket and a stuffed kitty). DD1 & 3 each had soothers and would pick random dolls/stuffies each night but never have a favourite must have lovey. I honestly wish they did sometimes - DD2's blanky has been with her throught thick and thin - changing bedrooms with a new baby, multiple surgeries (they allowed it in the OR!) and trips without mom & dad. I have been pushing a blanket on DD3 so we shall see if she becomes attached (hint - once they have a lovey find a spare and rotate them for even wear!).
Heidi

Offline centrestage88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:58:51 am »
Thanks ladies!
Ive introduced a soft blue pillow to him ( with a spare of course) and he likes it. =)
Hope it helps him feel more secure. He's been sleeping well. =)

Oh MasynSpencerElliotte, why was your DD2 having multiple surgeries?  That couldnt have been easy on her and your family. Hope she's well or much better now!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: do I need to introduce a lovey?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 13:04:19 pm »
Glad his new lovey is helping the sleep! My DD2 has had her tonsils out, dental surgery (not strictly necessary but she has autism and would never have been able to handle being awake for treatment) and eye surgery to correct a lazy eye. So nothing too major!
Heidi