Author Topic: I (the mom) can't put baby down for a nap anymore  (Read 734 times)

Offline Belleinfidele

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I (the mom) can't put baby down for a nap anymore
« on: January 19, 2016, 16:06:30 pm »
I don't know what happened. His crying escalates very quickly until he is inconsolable and either falls asleep from overtiredness or l have to take him out.
Background: he is almost 10 months old and has always been a crier before falling asleep. He has typically two naps now - at 11 and at 3:30. When Dad puts him to bed, he sleeps smoothly and for an hour, but although l do same things, something has happened with us.
Our ritual in the good old days (a week ago or so): when he is getting sleepy, we pick him up and spend a quiet wind down time for 5 minutes, then dress him into his blanket, sing a lullaby, put him down and go sit in a chair out of his line of sight. He does his mantra cry, but soon falls asleep; if his crying escalates, we go to him, pick him up or soothe otherwise. When he sleeps, we sneak out. Sometimes he becomes mischevous and stands up a lot, then we put him down gently, saying it's nap time, and sit in the chair again. Sometimes we have to do it for a small number of times.

We have never done cry it out, we've had him on a schedule since 1 month-old, done everything according to the book (at first shushpat, then when he learned to fall asleep on his own at 5 months, started to do pu/pd) and it's been going smoothly until now. I feel like I am to blame, but however much l try, l can't seem to make him sleep. So far night bedtime has been as swell as before, the problem is napping. I thought perhaps he doesn't need 2 naps, but he gets cranky by the end of the day (as we speak!) and also, his Dad manages to put him down for 2 naps like the new baby whisperer. It's so freaking frustrating.

There are two things l've thought about that might affect this: he is teething (just started this last month, his first tooth is halfway out and the second is showing), and also, I lost my grandmother at Christmas, so l must admit l have been quite emotional/restless/sad. Maybe he can sense it?

Sorry for the long post, but l'm really at a loss here.

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: I (the mom) can't put baby down for a nap anymore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 19:49:30 pm »
Do you think he might be due a routine change? Please post a typical day and let's see.

((Hugs )) for losing your grandma. LOs definitely tune in but I doubt it would only affect his nap.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Belleinfidele

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 20:44:59 pm »
Here's our typical day:

Wakeup at 6:30 or 7 (if not teething, sleeps until 7)
Followed by BF (eats like a monster this first bf time, about 35 min)
Activity (hanging around in his room while l watch on)
9 solids, breakfast
Activity (independent play alternates with playing together)
10:30-11 nap (usually 40 min, but lately when Dad puts him down, 60 min)
12ish BF
Activity
1:30 pm lunch
Activity
3:30 pm nap
4:15 or 17 BF
7 pm dinner, solids
Followed by washing up, sometimes bath, then into sleeping wear, some BF, and off to bed.

I keep him awake afterwards when l give him BF so as not to "nurse him to sleep". But l did think that perhaps it's a bad idea to give him bf at all before bedtime as now he has 2 pre-sleep rituals with me: no breast before nap, yes breast before bedtime, although l've done this for many weeks now and the nap problems only just appeared.

Offline Belleinfidele

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 20:50:17 pm »
Oh and usually we do make a stroll outside, but this month it's been like -20 outside so we've stayed in.
What else... He has just started standing on his own two legs, so that's a big leap...