Author Topic: Get rid of the pacifier at 1yo or wait?  (Read 973 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Get rid of the pacifier at 1yo or wait?
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:36:12 pm »
Hi Ladies,
I do need your support on that matter.

My DS is 1yo and we use pacifier to fall asleep. There was a time (at 10mo) when he wanted it all the time when asleep. Whenever I took it out he would wake up. I worked hard on that, and he now can sleep up to 5h without it (I am really proud of it, because it took some sleepless nights).
He is fully aware of it - puts it in by himself, takes it out for 5 sec (and puts it back in, that smarty pants:) if I ask him to or throws it out of the crib if I tell him he's a big boy and doesn't need it:).

Nevertheless, I know he needs it. I am trying all the time to put him down without it, but I am not forcing that change yet. Sometimes he would fall asleep when in the stroller, car or my arms without needing it.

I am worried, because he has 5 teeth and they are not all straight. I noticed his upper 1 is is crooked and his lower 2 is growing out crooked too. I don't know if it's the reason or not (probably not). I know he uses paci just for a quick sec and these are his first teeth but still. Why wouldn't I help that...

He doesn't like cosleeping (last time when he was 2mo), rocking (he bends over and I don't even know how to hold him), pating his back, holding his hand or rubbing his cheek. He has a Mr Donkey to sleep and sucks on his ears forever if without pacifier.

I want your opinion and experience, please:( I know half will probably tell me to wait until his older and understands, half that he is ready and I need to be strong. But please, I need some opinion about it.

Is it going to be hell? How to even start? What to do if he will scream forever and not sleep at all?

Thank you !

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Get rid of the pacifier at 1yo or wait?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 14:32:48 pm »
well both mine were over three when they gave up the paci so I would say that if he can replug himself then leave it be.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 14:36:37 pm »
Personally I would not do it at this age! I imagine the teeth are not due to the soother...or every kid with a soother would have crooked teeth. My 2 soother lovings kids have similar teeth that are not crooked where I had no soother and have crazy crooked teeth!

We got glow in the dark soothers for DD3 as they are even easier to find and replug on their own!
Heidi

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 18:53:09 pm »
I thought about it after reading your replies...
I think I won't force it. I can slowly withdraw it and see where it gets me, but I won't just tae it away.

You are right. It's a bad time. He is not old enough to understand fully. I liked the idea with birthday. I will use it!!

Thank you!