Author Topic: 1 year old takes only a one hour nap (if lucky!)  (Read 3877 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 1 year old takes only a one hour nap (if lucky!)
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 22:07:20 pm »
I think he might be napping at daycare because he's used to it, not that he needs it, necessarily. I'd get daycare lady to stop the nap, since you're paying her to look after him. Is she preparing the room for everyone else to sleep and he's picking up on the cues?

Can you run through a week for me?
Monday - daycare, 15min nap @ 9:15; 1hr nap at home @ 12:30
etc.

I had DS napping shorter at daycare and longer at home, literally would never nap long at daycare, so we did a mix of 1 and 2 nap days for a long while.

Am I correct in thinking he's at daycare for a few hours in the morning? What are dropoff and pickup times?

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 00:08:50 am »
Ok so we are on a fixed time schedule.
Monday to Friday :
8:30 dropoff at daycare
9:00 to 9:15 catnap at daycare
12:10 pickup from daycare
12:30 nap time at home (lenght varies)
anywhere between 18:00 and 19:00 is BT. Most of the time we try to avoid anything earlier than 18:30

so yes you figured everything right

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 21:05:44 pm »
I think you have a situation where he would benefit from dropping that CN. I think you've a bit of an OT/UT loop going.

He's probably a bit young to go cold turkey to one nap (how old is he precisely?). Perhaps first off I'd try a weekend with not putting him in the cot for the CN, so not having that 'quiet time' and see how he travels, whether that makes any difference to his naps through the weekend and Monday/Tuesday. Also I'd suggest starting to look at what his behaviour is like when you pick him up, what his activities have been before pickup and see if there's any correlation with the nap length. Its possible he's a little OT after a particularly physical or stimulating day or a little UT after a quiet day.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 21:39:43 pm »
I wonder if bringing the nap even earlier would help. My DD is a few weeks older but naps much better if she isn't OT. She wakes at 7ish and I've found she will nap much better if I have her in bed again by 10.45 or earlier. Then she will usually sleep until 1 or 1.30. Honestly anything later and she is still mostly up by 1 or often only naps 1.5hrs at the most (e.g. 12-1.30). It's taken me a while to realise that she just naps better after 3hr30-45 in the AM and then a much longer A in the PM of 5.5-6hrs. Might be worth considering for your LO.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011