Author Topic: Grosnug for newborns rather than swaddling with blanket?  (Read 928 times)

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Grosnug for newborns rather than swaddling with blanket?
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:14:40 am »
Hi
Is anybody been using the grosnug? I swaddled my other 2 lo through the jerky movement phase but midwife has said they don't recommend it anymore 😳?!
Any thoughts?

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Grosnug for newborns rather than swaddling with blanket?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 21:05:36 pm »
I haven't heard of the grosnug but this will give you a bump. Do you know why the midwife said it's not recommended, and was it the grosnug she advised against or swaddling in general? I know there is a concern with hips when swaddling but there is advice out there on safe hip swaddling. We used the Halo swaddle/sleepsack which is supposed to minimise this risk and is endorsed by a hip dysplasia organisation. Or is your concern about something else entirely?

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 20:31:25 pm »
Thanks for the bump!!! Midwife said that they simply didn't recommend anymore due to overheating...The Grosnug is basically like a swaddle sleeping bag which I believe are reasonable new and I have since found very positive reviews now about ut!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 14:27:10 pm »
That's interesting, I guess whatever they're wearing there can be a danger of that, but with blankets you can easily remove one if too hot, whereas they're wrapped up in the swaddle of course. But unless you have your heating up especially high, I wouldn't have thought it a problem... Also if it's a commercial swaddle I'd have thought it would have ratings for suitable clothes to wear underneath at different room temperatures? If you dress your LO lightly  and you feel they might be too cold, you could always pop a blanket over the top, just take care it's well secured.

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 21:06:05 pm »
Thank you!!! Started using it and so far so good!!!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 21:38:28 pm »
Brilliant :)