Author Topic: Bad idea for a lovey?  (Read 974 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Bad idea for a lovey?
« on: January 22, 2016, 20:19:07 pm »
Before DS2 was born we chose him a stuffed animal online and bought two, so it could be a lovey.

Only when it arrived we discovered that not only does it look lovely, but it also has crinkly bits (that make a sound) and a rattle.

Bad choice? Get something else?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 20:33:55 pm »
Hey lovey ;)

I would get something else. It would stress me out no end that the rattling would wake them up!

Ds is 5.5 and his giraffe lovey has been chewed and loved to death. I couldn't find the same replacement one and recently bought a different one that does rattle and makes crinkly noises and even at 5.5 I regret it when I can hear him playing with it! Lol

So I vote no!
aishi :)

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Bad idea for a lovey?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 20:44:00 pm »
Maybe it can be his awake lovey and you can use muslin cloths for his night/ sleep lovey.
Both nine got used to a Muslin cloth to cuddle too which I lived as I could wash and keep it clean.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 20:48:16 pm »
Why would he need an awake lovey?

DS1 never really attached to his but does sleep with them now. Both of them!

binxyboo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 20:50:17 pm »
Lots of kids like a little lovey when awake. They find comfort in it at times you can't be quite there eg when they are in their carseats while you are driving etc.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 21:43:21 pm »
I worried about this with one that DS was given which made a really soft rattly sound when shaken, but I needn't have worried actually. I guess it probably depends on how loud it is, but I don't think it ever woke him, I think it comforted him when he woke anyway and even helped him settle back off again. However when we had to share a room with him whilst away, I'd hear it going in the night but I think it disturbed me more than him ;)

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 22:46:44 pm »
L had a squeaky horse that he became attached to, he used to roll around in his bed until he rolled on it hard enough for it to squeak then he'd be back off to sleep ::) Noisy doesn't necessary = bad but I'd probably try a muslin square or something instead since you've the luxury of choosing at this age. xx

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 07:00:34 am »
It's not particularly loud, but still! Yes, I think I'll try with one of the lovely patterned muslins we've been given for now. Shame, it's such a lovely thing!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 07:14:03 am »
Thomas has a lovely dog as a lovey, and all he does is suck cloths. Cloths are great loveys as he has like 30 of them  ;).

I never tried to form an attachment though - it just happened  because he spent the whole time puking on them  :-X ::).

Megan loved her rabbit in the dog long before at night. By the time it was a night attachment- far beyond when you would worry about the noise iyswim.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 11:22:18 am »
Ya my guys also liked a more than 1 in their beds and probably got used to them because I had them on my shoulder while holding them etc.
As for their day loveys. They are their favourite stuff toys and ait on their bed even today at 9 and nearly 6
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 11:29:10 am »
another vote for muslin cloth loveys that you can have a zillion of. DS has used them since day 1 to snuggle, puke on, wipe his nose, anything and he attached early.  I totally agree that the lovey can give a HUGE amount of comfort in the awake times. DS uses his when he has a fall or is frustrated, upset, ill, has to be away from me etc.  If for eg he has a bad fall at home and is screaming in pain and shock I'll dash to him immediately but I know he will also need a muslin, either I'll try to get one whilst carrying him or call out to DP to run for one!
When he began nursery he took a small (quarter muslin) one in his pocket, which he still takes to school even now. It is amazingly powerful for him. I'm so glad he has that comfort and so glad we have heaps of them to wash.

Stuffed animals are nice and can still be loved and enjoyed even if they aren't 'the lovey'.