Author Topic: 1yo and 1 nap causing late BT  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
1yo and 1 nap causing late BT
« on: January 23, 2016, 20:15:55 pm »
Hi Ladies,
I've decided to start a new topic as it is always helpful to hear from you. We stepped into a completely new phase of problems:)

Our routine:
7:30 WU
8:00 breakfast
10:30 second breakfast
12 light snack or nothing
1-3:30 nap
4:00 dinner
5:00 supper
7:00 bottle
8-9 asleep

What is going on right now, is that he is pushing his 1 nap later and later now. Sometimes it's even 1:30 or 2. Then he sleeps 2-3,5 h depending. That causes his BT to be at 9 even (It's obvious to me if he wakes up at 4:30 even)

My sister suggested I should put him down for his nap every other day, so I would have BT earlier and EW sometimes. I really dislike the idea of days not be alike. He will be confused and OT:/

I am positive if I don't put him down he would ask for nap around 2-2:30 pm maybe. He could do no nap, but would be OT for sure at 7.

What should I do?
I figured I could wake him up after 2h nap or sooner. This could help with BT.
DO I stop putting him down at all if he fight nap and BT now? Isn't he too little for that?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 20:38:33 pm by trimbler »

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Re: 1yo and 1 nap causing late BT
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 20:38:20 pm »
Hi there, wow, 1yo already :) Which means that according to BW forums, you're now proud mother of a toddler :D so I'm moving you to the toddler sleep board. Seems he's already on much more like a toddler routine now anyway! Yes, I'd definitely want to cap that nap to lengthen the nights, if you post your routine as it stands now then it might be easier to suggest a length for that nap?

Offline Bella89

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:10:21 am »
Wow I didn't realize that! Toddler ha? Wow

Our routine as in my original post
7:30 WU
8:00 breakfast
10:30 second breakfast
12 light snack or nothing
1-3:30 nap
4:00 dinner
5:00 supper
7:00 bottle
8-9 asleep

That's what I thought. 3h nap is no longer a nap. Not even fr grown ups ;]

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 20:00:00 pm »
Ok sorry, I guess I got confused when you said he sometimes goes down at 1.30pm or 2pm, but you always put him down at 1pm, right? I think I'd probably start by putting him down a little later, since he seems to be struggling to settle at 1pm consistently now, is that right? With my DS (nowhere near this stage with DD yet!) even 15mins later could make a big difference to his settling and often result in him actually falling asleep earlier than he would have done had I put him down at the old time - if that makes sense? So perhaps try putting him down at 1:15 and see if that makes any difference? An A time of around 6h before the nap would be quite common so I'd expect you to need to push the nap later at some point anyway.

If he has a day like the one you posted, with nap exactly 1-3:30, what time do you put him down for BT? Do you put him down at 8pm but it sometimes takes an hour for him to fall asleep? Or is it only if he ends up napping more like 1:30-4:30 that BT gets that late? Just trying to gauge what happens with different length and times of naps. If he's asleep by 8pm with a 1-3:30 nap then I'd say that's fine.

What I'd find with DS is that if he started to struggle with settling for his nap, I'd push it back by 15mins (keeping same length and same BT, initially); but if he started struggling to settle at BT, I'd put him down for that 15mins later. At some point that would make the nights too short (for him, anything less than 11h would make him tired the following morning - yours may prefer a different night length?), so then I'd shave 15mins off his nap instead and bring BT forward by 15mins initially (since he'd be more tired from the shorter nap), and then BT would gradually get later again until it was time to shave a further 15mins from the nap. It seemed to work for us so perhaps you would find a similar strategy useful?

Offline Bella89

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:41:02 am »
Ok, I know what you're saying.

This is exactly what is going on. I put him down and it takes sometimes an hour for him to fall asleep.

It was difficult for me to post a standard routine, because I never put him down (nap or BT) at the same time. I always watch him and judge if it's time or not. I'm pretty sure I know well by now when he is tired and not OT. But n the other hand there are days when it's 9pm and he is UT, so I just start the routine.

He naps everywhere from 1.5h to 3.5h. Like yesterday it was 3.5h. He woke up 5:30 (obviously he was well rested) and didn't want to go back to sleep, so It's 12 and I think he needs another 30min A time:/

After this morning I decided to wake him up after 2h nap. His day sleep is taking out of his night sleep. I think he can easily sleep from 8-8, but that day sleep messes it up.

I will push that nap as soon as he starts to wake up 7:30 as always.

What do you think?

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 00:01:12 am »
Yes that sounds like a plan :) just be prepared to tweak as you go along... Tbh I've always preferred to have a few fixed points in the day rather than relying on cues, but either I was just bad at reading them or my LOs didn't give reliable tired signs :P You may find it easier to work with set times, it might also help to set his body clock, but if you feel that following cues is still working well then I hesitate to suggest you change from that...something to think about, maybe?

Offline Bella89

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:49:05 am »
I think I start to notice that you might be right. This is only because yesterday at 8pm he was so playful and happy that he would probably go to bed at midnight If I didn't start the routine:/

Togay he woke up at 6 (which is EW for him as he was waking at 7:30 past 4 months). Do you think he might have been OT?

This is our routine drom yesterday

5:30WU could not resettle him, we got dressed at 6:30
7 breakfast
10 breakfast II
12 snack
1:20-3:20 nap woke up by himself, but I had to resettle at 2:45
3:30 dinner
5:30 supper
7 bottle
8 started BT, asleep by 8:30

Thanks!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 20:46:58 pm »
Hmm yes it does sound OT to me :-\ Tricky to get out of that cycle though... If he wakes really early again, you may want to try bringing the nap a little earlier so he's not OT for it - that waking 1.5h in sounds OT to me, glad he resettled though. Let him sleep longer I think so he can catch up with the OT, and hopefully he'll manage a later WU one day and you can start implementing your plan, wdyt? I think the main thing right now is to try and help him catch up on the OT. If he doesn't do such a long nap, do you think EBT would work for him? Sometimes OT LOs will struggle to settle at BT but if you bring it much earlier they manage to surprise us :) You know him best, though :-* Do you have a feel for his overall sleep needs in 24h at the moment?

Offline Bella89

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 18:56:03 pm »
I think he feels the best when has 13h of sleep a day. I haven't really look at it like an eqation though. But maybe it's what it is!

So he got up 6:50 today, but had a horrible night because of his runny nose. Then we went for a playdate with our friends and he had 2x20 min naps in the car. And that was it for napping today:/ It's 8pm and he is struggling a little to fall asleep. I just know he will EW tomorrow:(

I think this is a good plan- let him catch up and then bring the BT earlier. Thank you! That's some great advice!
It's not going to be easy though:/

Offline trimbler

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 14:30:54 pm »
Haha I like numbers so somehow equations are easier for me to get my head around compared to real live human beings :P (((hugs))) it's hard when so much is out of our control, isn't it? Keep us posted :-*