Author Topic: 3 yr old sudden drop in sleep needs  (Read 1003 times)

Offline patsy32

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
3 yr old sudden drop in sleep needs
« on: January 23, 2016, 21:36:29 pm »
Hi Ladies,
My DD1 turned 3 at Christmas and used to sleep 12.5 hrs every night. Dropped her nap about 6 mths ago.
However, about 3 mths ago she started being very restless at night and crying/calling out several times during the night but usually in the 1st 3-4 hrs after going to bed. Christmas came and she suddenly started waking 1 hr earlier every morning. I was blaming the fact that her Dad was at home each morning and she only wanted him in the mornings as he is usually gone to work before she wakes. She turned 3 on the 28th of Dec and even tough our routine as returned to normal since the holidays she is still waking earlier than usual each morning. Before all this our routine was
WU - 8.15 (usually had to wake her up )
BT - 7.45 (asleep within minutes )
STTN

Now we are getting
Wu - 7.15 -7.50 (anywhere in between )
BT - 7.45 - 8.00
Crying/giving out in her sleep 1-2 times per night. Sometimes wakes and calls me saying she needs the toilet as she knows I'll get her straight away if she says about toilet.

My main question is is this sudden drop in over night sleep normal at turning 3 or could it just be a combination of Daddy home over the holidays, development leap and illness. She had a urinary tract infection before Christmas but that's well cleared up now. Should I be looking to change her routine or go with the flow of her sleep needs changing do you think?
Thanks Ladies

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 3 yr old sudden drop in sleep needs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 19:40:48 pm »
Hi, is she happy during the day or showing signs that she's getting OT? Your day before was 11.5 hours but now with earlier waking it's a bit longer. Have you thought about trying an EBT for a few days see if she tacks on?

My DS is 3.5 and 11 hours is pretty much his max and he copes well on that.
Zoe

Offline patsy32

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 22:36:38 pm »
Hi and apologies for such a late reply. We've had a sick little girl this past week.  Just a temp,  runny nose and cough but all's well now again. A quick update on the situation here is she has slept her usual 12.5 hrs for the past 3 nights so fingers crossed it was just a blip in the system which is now fixed!! We're still getting some waking, well it's more of giving out in her sleep and whinging usually within the 1st 3/4 hrs of bed and/or early morning 5.30/6.30 am.
To answer your question, she has days her behaviour is fine and she's quite happy and other days she's grumpy and complaining but is very tired by bedtime. I am going to follow your advice and try a few early nights and aim for 7.45 pm bedtime latest!!
Could a development leap and the change in routine over Xmas throw her of course for so long do you think?again thanks so much for your reply.

Carmel

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:21:12 am »
See how the EBT goes, for us developmental stuff throws routine off for ages x
Zoe