Author Topic: 20 month old moved to bed problems - help  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Jodileen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Have 2 beautiful boys xxx
20 month old moved to bed problems - help
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:28:37 am »
Hi there

My 20 month old boy suddenly refused to go to sleep in his cot last week so I moved him to a bed. I am actually on holiday in the uk at the moment so he is in a proper bed in one place and a bunk bed in another. When we get home he will be in a cot bed.

Ever since we have moved him he is waking at night usually for about an hour a night. He gets out of bed and waits at the door till I come. He sleeps for roughly 1-2 hours a day. And goes to bed between 7 and 7.30. Any ideas? He is also getting up anytime from 5am

I also just wanted to add that he is also having a lot of meltdowns during the day. Is this to do with his age? I try and ignore as much as possible and I have brought in a time out cushion just to calm him down when is tries to attack myself or his brother
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:29:40 am by Jodileen »
Love my boys very much xxx

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 20 month old moved to bed problems - help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 20:58:56 pm »
Hi, how long was he refusing to sleep for? Was it naps and nights? 20 months is quite young to go into a bed. I am just wondering if it was more of a blip than really needing a change.  I see quite a lot on here of LOs around this age resisting or skipping sleep but then going back to their normal routine. Especially if he is more emotional and having more tantrums, I think it's likely a developmental thing. Do you think it's worth trying to go back to the cot and see how it goes?  If you have to keep him in the bed then consistency is key. Reassure him if he needs you when he wakes, but return him to bed, stay with him if you have to as he gets used to it, but make it clear that's where he sleeps.
Emma

Offline Jodileen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:24:00 am »
Ok thank you.i have tried putting him back in his cot but he will not have it at all. He very much tries and copies everything his 3 year old brother can do. It's very hard. I was so tired last night when he cried at 4am I just got into bed with him. I'm sure this is a complete no no

Offline andymcpandy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 21:36:14 pm »
Have you tried removing the floor of the crib and having the mattress on the floor surrounded by the crib?  I've read this can help toddlers who learned to escape the crib but are too young to resist the urge to get out in the middle of the night/early mornings.

Offline Jodileen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 19:16:59 pm »
I thought I would give you guys an update. I bit the bullet and put Oscar back into his cot and even though he is waking he isn't getting out which is a huge difference. He now goes to sleep for 2 hours at 1pm and is in bed for 7 at night. He is then waking at about 4 looking for his blanket and then he goes back to sleep till about 6-6.30.