Author Topic: 5 week old...PLEASE HELP with sleeping at night  (Read 785 times)

Offline newmommy1230

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 week old...PLEASE HELP with sleeping at night
« on: February 03, 2016, 21:41:25 pm »
Hi everyone..this is my first post..im desperate and crying, I hope you can help me.

I have a beautiful 5 week old boy, who is now a touchy baby. He was a very alert and curious little guy from day one.

I put him in his crib from day 1, the first 3 weeks he was giving me 3-4 hour stretches at night and then waking up for feedings.

The last 2 weeks have been a disaster and at this point all I can do is cry.

We have been trying to implement EASY for 2 weeks now and were having a hard time because I guess he started going through a leap/growth spurt. It was impossible to get him to nap, he was ALWAYS overtired. I looked for his cues and it was still impossible to get him to nap. We have started to see some consistency with napping in the last few days but it is very hard to get him to fall asleep and get into that deep sleep.

The nights are horrible. I have tried cluster feeds and dream feeds at various times ranging from 10-11. NO matter how much I feed him or when I feed him or how much he slept or didnt sleep during the day he wakes up in 1-2 hours. So if I fed him at 1am and it took me 1 hour to feed, change diaper (if needed) and get him back down and it is now 2 am, he will wake up between 3-4am. He barely makes it 3 hours between feeds and he is always eating around 4 oz of formula. He does not want to take more milk during the day or at night. He also used to sleep more or less peacefully at night, he is now tossing and turning and grunting all night long.

I have swaddled (which he now fights), i have a white noise machine, bedtime routine, everything. I dont know what to do to get a little more stretch out of him at night. He seems to have been sleeping much better before and much more peacefully.

I cry everyday because I am simply crashing at this point.

I am not asking for him to go an entire night without feeding, but this is really getting to be to much. Im going on 3 hours of sleep every night and even with help from family its still too much for me.

everything with him seemed to have changed overnight. He also has this thing where towards to early evening nap he can fall into a very very very deep sleep ( we have this issue from day 1). So deep that no matter what he do its impossible to wake him up. In this deep sleep he will happily sleep through a feeding so it takes us everything to get him up to eat.

I really need some advice.

Thanks

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 5 week old...PLEASE HELP with sleeping at night
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:12:48 am »
Hi and welcome to the boards  :)

I'm so sorry you're finding it tough atm. We all do from time to time so it's ok to feel like this.

Would you mind posting what yesterday looked like for me in real time? It'll help me see what we can do to help. There is a massive growth spurt around this age. Is he draining all his bottles during the day? Ideally we want 1-2oz left int he bottle so we know he's stopping because he's full and not because the milk has run out yk?

What time is that later nap when he falls asleep so deeply? Anyway I guess we'll see that fromt he routine you post if you can. Look forward to hearing from you xx