Author Topic: 10 week old still on 2 hour feeding??  (Read 1584 times)

Offline MummyH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:25:35 am »
Hi All

I am after some advice, have been trying to get my DS on EASY but he still wants to BF every two hours - so by the time he has fed for 20 - 30 mins, had his awake time (about an hour) he only naps for 30 mins before waking up hungry.

He is a big boy (9lb 6oz at birth and about 14lb now) Nc putting on loads of weight so I really don't think it would do him any harm to be on a three or even four hour schedule (my DD was by this stage).

He does go three - four hours at night, until 4 am when the two hourly thing starts again...
Any advice?

Thanks

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 10 week old still on 2 hour feeding??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 13:46:51 pm »
Hi

Both my kids were look this- 2 or 2.5hr feeds for first 3 months, then around 12 wks started extending the time to 3hrs.I think with DS I tried to gradually extend the time gradually by 15 mins at a time but followed DD's lead and she did it herself.

Just a routine question- are you including feeding in total A time, or is he awake for around 1.5 hrs in total (including feeding)? This could be a little much for his age and be giving you the 30min naps & he might be crying because he's overtired on waking rather than hungry? I wonder if putting him down 10-15 mins earlier might give you a better nap & longer between feeds? Just a thought & could be wrong. DS only ever slept for 35 mins at a time regardless of what I did!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline MummyH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 15:04:42 pm »
Thank you! His total awake time is about one and a half hours, I do start settling him after one and a quarter but it takes a while for him to actually sleep. He could be overtired so I will try putting him down a bit earlier and see if that helps.

Out of interest, while yours were doing the two hour thing did you still follow an EASY routine? If so, how did it work?

Thanks

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 21:28:05 pm »
Trying for earlier nap might help, I think 1hr15-20 is average at about 2 months, going to 1hr20-30 at 3. If he's at short end of that scale he might be needing to start wind down a little earlier.

I have to admit that I found it really hard to get DS onto a predictable routine until he was about 6 mo.  DD got there quicker (by about 8-12 weeks, with lots of ongoing hiccups & changes though!)
I think I just tried to follow A times, feed on cue & always have some activity between eating & sleeping, even if it was just a nappy change

Re-Reading your post, it could also be that your LO is snacking rather than taking full feeds- do you offer both sides at every feed?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 16:43:22 pm »
Just checking in, how are you getting on?

I remembered that my DS used to be easily overtired, tricky to get to sleep & take short naps. I assumed he was waking crying from hunger, but he was actually crying because he was tired & feeding for comfort.

Re routine: I would try feeding a full feed at 4am, trying to hold out if he wakes at 6 & resettle in any other way then feed at 7 (or as close to 7 as possible) That, combined with a possible A time tweak, would hopefully help start him going a bit longer between feeds.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD