Author Topic: 16 week old awake at 3.30am  (Read 3454 times)

Offline H7

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 26, 2016, 14:28:36 pm »
Hello...

My LO is just over 16 weeks and this last week she has started waking around 3.30 to 4.30 in the morning. She wakes up happy and is cooing and chatting away in her cot. She then settles herself after 15 minutes or so but 15minutes after that is awake again and so the cycle continue until around 5.30 where she will then have a wriggly restless sleep until 7. One night she woke at 4.45 and was chatting away for an hour before falling asleep.

She has been sleeping through the night 7/7.30pm til 6/7pm with no dream feed or night feed since she was 11 weeks old so for her to suddenly starting waking at 3.30 is a real shock to the system.

There are 2 things I think this coincides with and that's she's now going 4hrs between feeds rather than three and her afternoon nap has suddenly increased from 1.5hrs to 2-2.5hrs and I have been waking her  up at the 2hr mark.

So do you think I should leave her asleep at afternoon nap for longer than 2 hrs?

When on a 3hr easy I felt we had it sussed but now she's 4 hr feeding I feel it's all gone out of the windows.  Especially in the morning where she only naps for 45 mins so then has a 2nd nap before her second feed and also in the afternoon sometimes she wakes too early from last nap and next feed isn't due till after the time she would want to be going to sleep. So I've been putting her to bed earlier but she's been having slightly less from the bottle.

Day looks roughly like this for last week:

A: 7
E: 7.15
S: 8.15 (45 mins)
A: 9
S:10.15 (45 mins)
A:11
E: 11.15
S: 12.45 (2 hrs)
A: 2.45 (I wake her to fit in later nap)
E: 3.15
S: 4.30 (45 mins)
A: 5.15
Bedtime routine:
Bath 6.30
Bottle 7
Bed 7.15

So as you can see it's a little all.over the place. Feel like her morning nap needs to be longer but she wakes after 45 mins and is always happy happy. I do leave her a bit to see if she will resettle but she doesn't. But then she's tired again by 10/10.15 and needs the 2nd nap before having 2nd feed.

Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 16 week old awake at 3.30am
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 20:41:20 pm »
It may be that it's time to push that first A a little? An 1hr 15mins is quite short for her age. See here Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

It's a good link to keep handy as its surprising how quickly they like to extend their times. Happy chatty NW's can signal UT during the day, but also OT by the end of the day because of the non-restorative naps. Confusing I know  ;)

Could you try and push that first A by 15mins and hold it for a couple of days for me? We don't like to jump too much to soon as we like to give them chance to catch up with it. It may not work at first, so please don't be disheartened if it doesn't. Or it might work the first day and revert on the second. just prewarning you! Could you try and let me know how it goes? Once that first nap is longer again, I'm sure the E times will fall into place again. It's around 5mo when we have to be a bit creative with the E times xx

Offline H7

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 14:34:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

This morning she woke at 6.45 and napped at 8.15 so managed to extend the first awake period by 15 mins ... she still woke after 45 minutes. She did resettle after the 45min stir and I thought she was asleep so I got up (still in same room and I had gone back for a snooze for first 45 too) but unfortunately she was in the zoned out starring into space stage and when she saw me she snapped out of it and was then awake and wouldn't resettle again. So she may well have had 1hr 30 had i not done thay. But because she woke i had to put another 45 minute nap in before her 2nd feed. . I will try again tomorrow and see how we go.

Yesterday she had 2hr 30 nap from 12.30 til 3 and then 45 min nap from 4.45 til 5.30. I wondered if maybe her awake time from last nap to bed is too long. I was putting her down at 7.30 (2hr awake time) but that was after a 1hr 30 late nap but now that nap is only 45 mins I wonder if her awake time at the end of the day also needs to be shorter. So yesterday she woke at 5.30 and I bathed her at 6.15 then bottle at 6.30 and she was asleep by 6.50 so only awake 1hr 20 which seems short but she went straight to sleep herself and slept through til 5.30 where she woke briefly for 15 mins and then slept til 6.45.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 18:22:16 pm »
Yes definitely, you've hit the nail on the head there. 2hr A will certainly be too long after a short CN. Well done you for thinking of that on the day. I would go with 1.5hrs absolute max, perhaps as low as 1hr 15mins. I hate OT before BT ! What you've done there is perfect.

I'd hold that A time for another day. Then we can reassess. As I said, her first A time was quite short so another bump may be on the cards in a couple of days. Yay to the good ONS though, much better  ;D. Keep me posted ok? xx

Offline H7

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 19:32:32 pm »
Cheers.

Going to keep going with the 1hr 30 first awake time and hopefully that will make a difference.

She really didn't want to go down for her last nap of the day today for some reason and ended up  it going down for it until 5.30 which I know is late but I figured better that than not all. She woke at 6.15 and my husband is currently upstairs getting her ready for bed.

I hope the late finish of the nap hasn't messed with things. No idea why it was such a struggle getting her to sleep for that last nap ... think she just likes to keep me on my toes!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 19:45:00 pm »
Ha ha they do like to do that! We'll keep an eye on it, hopefully it's not just a one off. Keep a note of it all ok? What you can do on days like that is shorten the CN to 30mins, then it's basically straight upstairs for wind down, bottle and bath etc then into bed. However that's always a tricky one to shorten at this age!

Give it another month or two or so and she'll refuse that nap more often than not, then it becomes a real PITA  ;) xx

Offline H7

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 08:44:00 am »
Well last night was the worst night we've ever had. She woke at 9 screaming the house down and then woke at 10.30 12.30 2.30 4.30 and 5 finally resettled at 6.30 and I woke her at 7.15 as didn't want her waking up too late and getting totally out of sync. That may have been the wrong thing to do tho!

She didn't even wake 2 hourly as a newborn.

She's been awake 1hr 30 now and is in her cot very close to falling asleep for first nap so will see how today goes.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 19:55:26 pm »
So sorry you've had a rough night. Sometimes they can be that unsettled when they're in discomfort. Mine went through it at Xmas at 2.5yo, it was awful and definitely a shock to the system! Fx today went better for you xx

Offline H7

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 10:16:24 am »
She napped for 1hr 30 for first nap yesterday and is currently 1hr 20 into that nap this morning too.

Slept much better last night as well.

Just going to take each day as it comes and ride the sleep regression wave in as positive a mind set as I can!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 19:53:49 pm »
Well done you, this is much better! ANd you sound better for it too  :). Pop back if you need to xx

Offline H7

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 09:10:12 am »
Just wanted to pop back and say that extending the morning awake time has made a big difference. We've had a couple of 4.30am wake up s but most nights since changing this she has slept 10-12 hours and her naps are longer in the day too. Currently at around a 1hr 30 to 1hr 40 awake time after waking in the morning. Gradually trying to stretch this out without ending up with an overtired bub! Cheers again 😃

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 19:24:28 pm »
My pleasure and thanks for coming back to share the good news, too few people do that! Do pop back whenever you need to and keep an eye on those naps, any consistent short napping consider how long she's been at the current A time. They do like to keep extending it  ;) xx

Offline H7

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 07:37:05 am »
Quick question .... what's your thoughts on waking babies in the morning? If my little one is still asleep by 7.30 I wake her but friends and family say they think I'm crazy for doing this? It seems to be working though as she is still sleeping 11-12 1/2 hrs and has been for a week now but just don't know whether I should wake her or not or let her sleep and settle into her own natural wake up time.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 07:59:20 am »
Ahhh that age old question  ;). Personally I always did, but I was a stickler for our routine. After she was on one nap I didn't as someone reminded me there must be some flexibility to allow them to self-regulate their sleep.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't wake, but just use our A times and work through the day accepting a later BT if the naps were good. 11-12.5hrs is wonderful and tbh I'd make the most of it while it lasts and before she changes it up again, as she inevitably will  ;) xx

Offline H7

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 20:20:01 pm »
And 1 week later she has started to become predictably unpredictable.

We had about 10 days of the routine being pretty much the same every day
A: 7.15
E: 7.30
S: 9.00

A: 10.45
E: 11.30
S: 12.30

A: 14.00
E: 15.00
S: 15.45

A: 16.30
Bedtime
Bath 6pm
Bottle 6.30
Sleep 6.45

Night sleep between 12 and 12.5 hours with no dream or night feed.

The timings varied some days by 15 to 30 mins depending on her morning wake up time but was pretty much set like this for a good 10 to 12 days and now the last 2 days for some reason she's gone back to the morning nap being 45 minutes.

I tried to extend out the morning awake time to 2hrs yesterday and that majorly backfired as she woke up crying after 45 minutes and she has only ever woken from naps crying a handful of times even as a newborn she rarely did that. Then yesterday 3rd nap she woke crying as well. This morning my husband put her down 1hr 50 after she woke and she woke crying at the 45 minute mark again and also woke crying after her 3rd nap too.

I had attempted to stretch it as know when they approach 5 months their awake time can extend and she can manage 2 hrs at the end of the day so thought I'd try it at the beginning but do you think that maybe she isn't ready?

Going to try putting her down tomorrow after 1hr 45 again and see what happens.

Her night sleep hasn't been affected too much so far (touch wood) she's woke at 5.45am the last two mornings so we've gone in and sussshhhed and said sleepy time to her both days and she's gone back to sleep till 7-7.30 again but isn't that a sign of being under tired?

I'm so confuzzled. I thought I had it cracked and as predicted it's changed and I know it's only been two days but I want to try and get it back on track ASAP.

Sorry for the majorly long post.