Author Topic: Sleep problems with 20 month old- please help  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Jodileen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Have 2 beautiful boys xxx
Sleep problems with 20 month old- please help
« on: January 26, 2016, 20:05:10 pm »
Hi there

I posted in the toddler section but no one replied and I'm at my wits end. I have an 20 month old who will no longer stay in a cot so I've moved him to a bed. Every bed time I keep it really calm and as soon as I put him in bed he is like a possessed child. I'm currently listening him trying to escape out of his room so emotional. I know he settles when
I'm in the room but obviosily that is not the answer. After over an hour of screaming and being put back into bed continuously I gave in and sat by his door. How do I move on from here. He is waking through the night, he sleeps around 12 for usually 2 hours. Should I cut that down a bit. He is usually up at 5.45am. Help please
Love my boys very much xxx

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Sleep problems with 20 month old- please help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 22:37:45 pm »
Hi hon, I'm sorry no one has been able to help you yet  :(
How does he do for day time sleep?  Does he still take a nap?  Tracy has a great plan for kids who keep getting out of bed, but I'm not sure if your LO is old enough to get it.  I'll write it down and let you be the judge.
When you lay your LO down, let him know that you will stay in his room for 2 minutes and then you will go because it's time for bed.  Stick with this time.  Set a gentle timer if you can so that he knows you're keeping your word.  When the timer goes off you say goodnight/sleep tight and then leave.  You keep this up every night.  In addition to this, you can make a little chart for him and every night he stays in his room he gets a gold star.  When he's had a successful week, you go and do something fun he loves to do.  Maybe there's a park he really loves but is out of the way for you, maybe the aquarium or an indoor play area.  Something that isn't food or gift related. 
Do you think that would work?

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Sleep problems with 20 month old- please help
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:56:29 am »
Just moving you over to our Toddler Sleep board. :)

Maryn

[/url]