Author Topic: Can't leave the room before 2 year old falls asleep  (Read 1009 times)

Offline starburst15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Can't leave the room before 2 year old falls asleep
« on: January 27, 2016, 19:41:41 pm »
We have a 2 year old son, and we've gotten in a bad habit of staying in his room until he falls asleep. We used to rock him and hold him until he fell asleep - but now he's too big to hold, so we sit next to his crib until he falls asleep (terrible habits, I know...).   This often times takes up to one hour every night!   If we try to leave the room, he screams and screams and almost hyperventilates until we come back.   We have a 4 month old in the next room, so we can't let him scream or the baby will wake up.  How do we break this habit??  he's not afraid of his room or crib - he just tosses and turns and stands up and talks and takes forever to wind down.   We always start bath time at 7pm, read books afterwards, and we turn out the lights at 8pm.  He doesn't fall asleep until 9pm or sometimes later.  Sometimes we fall asleep in the room! 

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Can't leave the room before 2 year old falls asleep
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 21:43:29 pm »
Hi! First of all, I think it's great your son falls asleep on his own :) If I were you, and I kinda did this with my first born, I would gradually move the chair towards the door...every few nights, move the chair further until you're parked on the chair outside the door, with it open. Since he's already 2, I'd explain what I'm doing so he understands. When I did it with my DS when he was 1yo, he knew I was there and we wouldn't be talking or doing any funny business lol just my presence

Offline starburst15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Can't leave the room before 2 year old falls asleep
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 22:27:28 pm »
Ok - we will try this! thank you!