Author Topic: DS2 is self-weaning  (Read 5046 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
DS2 is self-weaning
« on: January 28, 2016, 03:10:44 am »
DS2 is now almost 11 months old and he's only taking about 10oz of milk a day.  He has his bottle in the morning, and his afternoon bottle is quite reliable but tonight he had absolutely nothing for his bed time bottle. He does get about 4 oz of water a day as well, so I imagine that's pulling from his milk but really?!  I think he likes the feeding-myself aspect of the Zoli bottle, should I just put formula in it instead of water so he gets more milk throughout the day, or is it not a big deal since he's almost a year?  Maybe offer milk at dinner?  I can't remember what we did with DS1 but I seem to recall his bed time bottle being pretty reliable.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: DS2 is self-weaning
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 20:15:32 pm »
Sorry! I missed your post!

What are teh timings of milk feeds/ meals like? Is his bedtime bottle too close to his evening meal? I'm not sure what the zoli bottle is but you could certainly try it with milk if you are able to take it apart to clean it properly.

His milk need do drop at about 1 year, but most toddlers still have 2 good milk drinks for a while. Is he getting other dairy in his food?

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 20:33:51 pm »
Thomas is doing the same, and has been for a while. In our case not helped by hypoallergenic formula - I have just transitioned him to cows milk (yey!!!!) and his intake has def improved so I think it was partly a taste issue here.

So now I am getting about 5oz in the am, and 6oz before bed. Before it was about 2oz at each!!

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 22:25:03 pm »
Hmmmm, I wonder if it's a taste thing...?  I ended up cutting out the mid-morning bottle because he just was not interested so now it looks like this:

6:45am: 4-6oz
3/3:30pm: 2-4oz (this is the one I will transfer to his Zoli if he won't take the bottle)
7pm: 4-6oz

He has some other dairy but not much because it used to make him throw up (he had/has reflux, meds etc.).  I guess just try to give him lots of broccoli and almonds...?  Should I try him on cows milk early?  He'll be 11 months next week.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 23:04:46 pm »
Thomas was 12 months before I was brave enough to try - but I did follow the milk ladder to introduce it. If he seems well perhaps think about starting it? With a view to it taking beyond 12 months iyswim? It has 14 steps every 3 days, so takes a while.

Thomas used to throw up all.the.time, and still has reflux meds now. I am just trying to sort the dairy issue, then I will wean the reflux meds.