Author Topic: Have mercy...another 5 mon old and sleepless nights  (Read 3244 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Have mercy...another 5 mon old and sleepless nights
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 06:39:27 am »
Fantastic news!  I'm glad you had a better night last night, fingers crossed for smooth sailing from here on in.

Offline kyles_mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 17:32:53 pm »
Eek.  The ugly nights have returned :(

My mind is a little scattered so apologies if this post is a bit of a ramble.  Side note, the little munchkin is a champ with rolling from back to tummy and is constantly doing this however he has yet to attain the skills for moving from tummy to back.  We are trying to practice during his activity times...I'm hoping he masters it soon.

The last few days/nights...

March 13 (daylight savings)
0410 rolled onto tummy
0415 frustrated, fussed, time to eat anyways so BF
0434 back in crib and awake, chatting and rolled onto tummy, allowed some tummy time to see if he can figure it out
0441 fell asleep
0540 big cry, repositioned from tummy to back
0715 baby wakes and E
1029 put down and S
1042 big cry, reposition from tummy to back
1235 wake baby and E
1542 put down, rolled over to tummy
1551 settled
1700 wake baby
1957 put down following bedtime feed
2210 awoke and crying on tummy, reposition to back
2225 pacifier given after increased crying
2300 DF (late cause mama fell asleep!)

March 14
0151 cry and E
0450 cry, pacifier given, reposition in crib so head is elevated
0645 baby wakes and E
0950 put down and S
1115 baby wakes and E
1420 put down
1430 pacifier given after fussing
1610 wake up and E
1935 asleep with bedtime feed
2245 mantra cry? DF

March 15
0200 cry and E then awake
0230 back in crib, wide awake :(
0304 rolled onto tummy and cry, repositioned to back
0315 pacifier given, spits it out, lots of picking and attempts to roll
0330 pacifier given again
0335 quiet
0555 whimpering, pacifier given
0650 baby wakes and E
0925 put down and asleep in 5 min - early nap due to music class, awake after 50 min S

He has woken up two nights in a row at 0200.  Previously our night feeds would be between 0330-0500.  He has also started this crying thing in the evening, a few hrs after his bedtime.  Of course my concern is that he is forming bad habits.  Are these wakings simply due to him mastering skills and wanting to practice? 

We have continued with solids about an hr after his normal BF.  Aside from a couple days of constipation, it has been pretty uneventful.   

I can't tell you how reassuring it is to have this forum available for us newbies whom feel completely out of our element!  Look forward to your reply/help!  Thanks so much. 

Offline lauradj

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 03:01:22 am »
I am sorry to say that yes, the wakings are likely because he's trying to master this new skill and he's not stopping until he's got it!  It's so frustrating when there's basically nothing you can do expect trade off with who repositions him.  My DS2 was waking at least once a night for three weeks due to a cold, 4x on Thursdays (why only Thursdays?  I have no idea).  Finally he completely recovered and started STTN again.  I think that's what you'll find will happen.
The other thing to keep in mind is that daylight savings really messes up some kids.  My kids have no idea it even takes place but I know others who have to go as far as adjusting bed times and wake up times a few days in advance!  Hopefully you're not in that camp.  :)

Offline kyles_mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 17:04:18 pm »
Hello there!
Are early wakings also indicative of being overtired? The little munchkin awoke every 2 hrs after I fed him at 0200.  We had trouble with bedtime last night...I believe it was due to having solids an hr prior to bedtime - my oversight since I lost track of time :(

March 16
0315 awake and feed
0540 cry, pacifier given
0640 baby wakes  and E
0920 put down for S - early due to class
1040 wake baby
1400 put down for S
1545 baby wakes and E
1855 put down for bedtime awake - usually he is asleep with bedtime feed however solids were given at 1745 and he ate little during BF
1900 pacifier given due to cry
1900-1945 revisit bedtime routine
1955 attempt to put down, big cry
2000 gave in and BF
2250 wake baby for DF
2303 back in crib awake for 10 min

March 17
0130 cry and feed
0340 awake and self soothe
0505 awake and self soothe
0540 cry, pacifier given
0615 baby wakes and E

...so Kyle is associating bedtime with a feed.  Darn.  I had convinced myself that it was ok all this time since he falls asleep with his day time naps without a feed prior.  But I confess I do use the pacifier for his daytime naps.

I realize every babe is different but I am wondering whether I should drop the DF at this point?  I am concerned it is disrupting his sleep.  In addition, he took maybe 5 min of BF during the DF last night.  What do you think?

He turns 7 months on March 26. 

As always, thank you!

Offline lauradj

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 03:42:49 am »
Hmmmm, do you actually wake your babe for the dream feed, or do you enter the room all stealth and darkness, quietly taking the wee bundle out the crib and popping him on the breast?  That's what you're going for, minus my added theatrics.  It may be that he's ready to drop the dream feed.  My first dropped it at 7 months without batting an eye.  My second held on to 8 months and then it was gone.   
I wonder if he might be ready for a little A time push?  It may be that he has low sleep needs and is able to handle being awake for longer.  Do you think if you kept him up another 15 minutes he'd be ok?