Author Topic: what to feed 10 mo  (Read 8029 times)

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 01, 2016, 10:55:10 am »
Hi all,

DS2 is now 10 months. He loves to eat but seems to be a bit picky. I find myself feeding him the same foods over and over again and he definitely does not get enough veggies.

A typical day would be:
Breakfast: cheerios, banana or pear cut into chunks, yogurt
Lunch: avocado chunks with garlic powder, ww bread, sometimes some more fruit or yogurt. If I don't have ripe avocado he gets cheese.
Dinner: chicken or scrambled eggs, I try veggies but doesn't eat more than a bite or two

I recently tried to give him meatballs and he just spit it out. He also does not like pasta. When I try to give him veggies he tastes it and then will not eat anything else the rest of the meal (stubborn little guy lol). He has eaten salmon off DH's plate and liked it, but I don't make it too often because I don't eat fish. He generally eats very little at dinnertime. He used to love baby oatmeal and pureed sweet potatoes, but now refuses the spoon for everything but yogurt. Giving him a loaded spoon so far has not worked, and baked sweet potato sticks did not go over very well.

Any ideas for some more healthy foods that he can eat on his own? (DS1 practically lives on yogurt, pb sandwiches, breaded chicken cutlets and sliced turkey  ::) He is so picky!!)

Also, should I be working on dropping milk feeds to increase solids yet? He has a breast feed early morning, 2 daytime bottles and a bed time bottle. He turns one mid March.

Thanks.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: what to feed 10 mo
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 18:42:55 pm »
I would just keep offering the veggies so that they are always there and he becomes more familiar with them as time goes on.
The other thing ou can try is to offer veggies at breakfast, might sound a little strange but it's only culture/society which makes us think of certain foods for certain meals.  I found with my DS (after advice here) that he would eat lots of protein at breakfast if I offered then rather than later in the day, I should point out mine ate lots of veggies but very little protein which is why I tried it out for breakfast. He didn't bat an eye and just ate it!  For ease you could make an extra portion of veg the night before and just keep it in the fridge over night to offer the next morning.

He may also show more interest if you have food on your plate for him to share or begin with his portion on your plate and dish it out to him in front of him where he can see you do it.  At certain developmental phases mine appeared picky but it turned out to be a natural self-preservation technique to not trust food unless I had shown him it was safe by eating a bite myself or giving off my plate.

Veggies mine liked were steamed green beans, steamed asparagus, steamed carrot batons.

You don't have to drop a milk feed yet if he is still interested in them. If you notice less of an interest in 1 or more then that might be the time to switch one (either mid morning or mid afternoon) to a solids snack with a drink of water. For some it will be around now but for others more like 11 or 12 months.

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 14:39:41 pm »
would he go for a recipe with the veggies a bit more "hidden"? e.g. put extra in a bolognese, casserole or curry?

or something like these brocolli nuggets:
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/broccoli-nuggets.html
or courgette and feta bites:
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=+courgette

or savoury muffins:
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/cheddar-and-sweetcorn-muffins-for.html
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/pepper-and-cheese-muffins-for-babies.html
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/spinach-and-sweet-potato-mini-muffins.html

(I really like the recipes on this blog :) )

Would your DS eat soup?  You could make a nice vegetable soup, blend it up, and give it to him with some bread to dip in it.

I often find my DD2 is happier to try new things when offered as a snack, than at a meal time.  E.g. raw pepper, carrot sticks, cucumber sticks...  perhaps with a bit of humous or cream cheese to dip them in?  For ages she wouldn't eat these things, but after happily tucking in to them when offered one snack time, she'll now eat them with meals as well! ::) :P :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 19:33:20 pm »
Thanks for the links! He is getting a bit better with the veggies. He ate some green beans the other day and started eating sweet potatoes again. I'm hoping things will continue to improve. I think I'll try broccoli again tomorrow. Last time I tried he didn't eat soup but I can try again (though he doesn't let me spoon feed him anything but yogurt ::)) He's a pretty good eater compared to my DS1! He just doesn't have such a big appetite (he's petite). He also started eating pasta. What seems to work for him is to give him his regular meal and then afterwards, when the rest of the family sits down to eat, he'll taste some new foods off our plates. He ate eggplant parmigiana today! I really should make some of those muffins with healthy ingredients snuck in. It would be good for DS1 as well.  He's not really eating snacks yet. He still has two daytime bottles and it doesn't look like he'll be interested in dropping them anytime soon. But I'll keep that tip in mind for when he does.

Offline Elisanah

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 21:58:19 pm »
If he likes sweet potato then he might like these croquettes http://www.feedingfinn.com/sweet-potato-lentil-and-carrot-croquettes  - they're a big in hit in our household! Savoury muffins and fritters also go down well. If he likes scrambled egg then making some veggie pesto (or blending different veg) to mix in could help get him used to the taste.

I would also agree with keeping offering veg at meals and also having them on your plate - it's funny how things seem so much more appealing that way  ;D

Offline Elisanah

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 22:00:50 pm »
Also - my lo is the same with burgers /meatballs (I.e. Spits it out!) but is fine with normal mince meat - not sure if you've tried him on mince meat yet but it should be fine to try it at 10 months. Another way to hide more veggies!  ;D

Offline mommykay410

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 02:24:32 am »
Just wanted to let you know you are not alone....I could've written this post myself!  My DD loves her yogurt, scrambled eggs, and cheese!  You know she's not hungry if she refuses to eat those.  It seems her issue is mostly with the textures of some of the veggies and meats.  Broccoli makes her gag and so does pasta (I think it's too sticky for her).  I have been trying to sneak what I can into the eggs.  And she seems to let me spoon feed her purees if I sneak them in while she's feeding herself.  I've been trying to give her more higher calorie/fat foods because she is petite as well (she weighs less than 17lbs at 10 months.)  If you come up with any other tricks to get DS eating different finger foods, do share!