Author Topic: 1 month old 30 and 40 minute naps  (Read 849 times)

Offline jennfullwood

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 month old 30 and 40 minute naps
« on: February 01, 2016, 16:14:59 pm »
Could someone tell me if 40 minute naps in a newborn are still considered UT naps? And 30 minute naps OT? I didn't know if that was applicable at this young of age.

I've got a long post under Nightwaking thread regarding my LO's sleep, but I would like to start posting here for our nap issues. I'm really having a hard time finding my LO's proper sleep window. I keep going back and forth between 30 and 40 minute naps. I know at one month, it should be 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, correct?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: 1 month old 30 and 40 minute naps
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 16:21:24 pm »
You'd be lucky to get those good long naps I think. My DS2 is 12 weeks today and we have just short-napped our way through the day.

Basically 30-40 mins is one sleep cycle; if your baby can join two sleep cycles together then you end up getting that long nap.

4 weeks is extremely early days and I wouldn't worry too much about a routine yet, as everything will change very rapidly. All we have done so far is establish a pattern of eat, play, sleep. I have had him in the sling for the majority of his morning naps and am starting to see them lengthen on their own. Naps elsewhere are trickier, but given that we used to get at least one skipped nap a day I think it's progress. Just wanted to give some context!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline jennfullwood

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 17:10:55 pm »
OK, thanks for reminding me. :) My first baby who is now almost 4 took to the EASY schedule instantly and was napping the full two hours every cycle. I guess that is not normal, but I was hoping this baby would follow. I'm not used to baby wearing, but I have been wearing her in the Moby Wrap about 4 hours a day to allow her sleep. I have had an incredibly hard time getting her down for naps due to OT due to short naps. I can't figure out when to put her back down for naps - meaning, I can't figure out the proper awake time following short naps, or any naps for that matter. She doesn't show tired signs except for sneezing, which I think is already OT! :o

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 19:11:04 pm »
Yep, similar here! It does get easier to read them though and the tired signs become more apparent as their bodies start to anticipate naps. Our sling has been a lifesaver.

Was your first an angel baby, by any chance?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline jennfullwood

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 19:46:53 pm »
No, not angel...he was spirited all the way believe it or not!  ;)