Author Topic: We need help  (Read 7829 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: We need help
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2016, 21:15:03 pm »
She's at 1.5hr A, though at times it goes a little longer not really on purpose but because I'm dealing with DS.  Nap are always (lately) 30mins - that's why I tried less A time today because I thought she might be OT.  After the first short nap I can pretty well guarantee she's going to be OT for the rest no matter what so those are kind of a write off anyway. 

I guess he only thing about her surroundings is she naps in her crib in her room because it has the darkest blinds but she sleeps at night in the bassinet in our room.  I did try naps in her bassinet and it didn't seem to make a difference but I haven't tried in a while.  But that said our room isn't all that dark. 

I really just think she can transition sleep cycles unless being held.  If I were to hold her she'd sleep 2hrs easily, but I would obviously like to have her napping in her crib.

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2016, 01:48:27 am »
Most days she is napping 1.5hrs total in a 12hr period...I mean, that's just crazy.
Would you think that if you hadn't read any books or routines? Sometimes it's the expectations we have that hold us back from accepting what is.

Don't feel badly about doing stuff in her A time. I often did (and still do) a lot of housework during my LOs A time. They really are ok playing on their own. She gets lots of love, hugs and cuddles from you at other times. If you're still feeling uneasy about it look up RIE (Resources for Infant Educarers) - the whole premise is that LOs are ok to play on their own even as babies - they get the stimulation they need at feeding, bath and nap/bedtime rituals.

One book I read gave 1-2 hours as the A time guidelines for 0-4 months. I find reading that made me a bit more flexible in how I thought about A times at that age. Maybe a longer A time might help her get a better first nap?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2016, 14:51:47 pm »
So this morning DD self settled for her first nap :)  I rocked her until she was drowsy and then put her in her crib and held her arms for a minute and then I went and stood near the door...she was still very much awake and just kind of wriggled around a bit and then drifted off.  So this is good news.  Not that I've ever really had a problem getting her down, it is nap length that is our issue.  But I think if she can SS initially then eventually she will be able to settle herself back to sleep if/when she wakes early.

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2016, 02:01:14 am »
That's wonderful! I love that first self-settling moment - it makes me feel that things are going to become so much easier.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014