Author Topic: Nearly 9 month old erratic naps  (Read 1780 times)

Offline amanda55

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Nearly 9 month old erratic naps
« on: February 03, 2016, 11:18:33 am »
Hello,

Help needed for awake time/approx schedule for nearly 9month old or help or where i'm going wrong. My DS has struggled with 30min naps since 7 weeks old, only recently can get longer ones, say longer, he always wakes ~33mins into nap and can take a couple of mins-20mins to go back or just awake! I always leave in cot for additional 30mins so gets rest as now on two naps, usually if fully awake still after 30mins he'll have pooed. Tend to only poo in cot (every morning and a lot of naps!) Approx easy

E:7:15 7/8oz formula (wakes anywhere between 6/7, don't go in till 7am)
A: play on floor jumperoo
E: 8:30 breakfast, fruit puree and yohurt, bit of toast and water (wont have porridge/Weetabix/cereal!)
A: play on floor in kitchen/lounge round toddler
S:9:30/10 approx 2hr 45-3hr 30 (6-9:30 however would have been in cot for hour till 7am) alwasys wakes at the 33min mark
E: 11:15is 5oz milk
A: walk, park, play, jumperoo
E:12:30ish lunch veg puree, pieces of food, chicken, sandwich, pasta, veg etc, pudding, water then after finished, remainder of milk ~3oz
A: play on floor
S: 1:15/2:15 (3-3hr 20 from depending on earlier nap!even if only had 30mins in morn and lasts ok till next nap) again stirs/wakes at 33mins ish but usually will go back for this one
A: play
E: 4:30 dinner, same as lunch
A: jumperoo, play then sits at table around 5:30 when have tea with toddler and will eat a couple of pieces, between 6-6:20 bath,
E:6:20/35 bottle 10oz formula, story song and bed
S:6:45-7:15 can take up to 25 mins to fall asleep at night although naps are within 10mins.

Hear stir a few time although always puts self back, no need to go in anymore and has no feeds.  Can take a while to go back to sleep. he is a very fidgety sleeper.
No props, dark room, white noise on constant, lovey and sleeping bag.

Any help on how to get him to sleep more restfully rather than broken naps do you think he is over or undertired as doesn't really have tired signs and has never messed around before naps goes quickly to sleep just cant stay asleep!
DD 21/05/2013
DS 18/05/2015

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Nearly 9 month old erratic naps
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 21:53:48 pm »
Hi there!  It was a little difficult to read the schedule but I think I get the general idea.  What I would suggest is that you try to keep him up for a consistent time at this age.  Most babies his age are awake for 3-4hrs so I'd shoot for 3.5 hrs every time for a few days and see how that goes.  It may be that he's almost ready for the 2-1 transition and that's why his sleep is getting all jumbled but let's try a consistent A time first for a few days.   

Offline amanda55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 20:07:49 pm »
Thank you,

Last few days bad with just two 30min naps each day (pooed each time!), he only poos in cot, morning when go in usually a poo and then at least one nap, sometime like last few days both!! aghhhh! if go in and change doesn't go back to sleep, if leave wont go back either.

Today a good day, woke 6:30, left till 7am, bottle and breakfast (tried earlier breakfast), asleep 9:30 for 1hr 22, went in and a poo but at least not 30mins.  asleep again 2:10pm for 1hr 10mins (family round and noisy so think why woke, he wakes easily with noise), asleep 6:45pm was very upset after bath so think got too overstimulated by family being round. 

We have not found the perfect waketime as think all depends on bowel movements, but this morn thought would try putting down sooner as had been waking around 10:30am with dirty nappy so tried earlier and worked today.
DD 21/05/2013
DS 18/05/2015

Offline lauradj

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 21:35:16 pm »
There will definitely be ups and downs as your baby gets used to a new routine.  Were you able keep him up for a full 3.5 hrs?  Do you have a white noise machine?  He's a little old to be starting with it but it can really help cancel out any extraneous noise that might interrupt sleep.   

Offline amanda55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 14:15:16 pm »
No not managed the 3hr 30 as getting whingy recently, normally doesn't, think he is up in the night for a longish spell as I heard at 2&3 this morning so doubt went back in between, not crying just a growlng noise he makes to go back to sleep for 10mins ish, and moving around loads, doesn't cry. Not sure if teething but have tried calpol and no difference with naps.  he has very red cheeks at mo and bit off food/milk, cant see swollen gums though.

This morn up for 3hrs, and slept an hour, friends came round so not sure if heard as woke soon after came in.  Our house carries noise through all rooms and open stairs into kitchen.  We do have white noise playing continuously on apple touch app with mini speakers but not really loud (loudest setting on device but isn't really loud).

He has struggled with 30min naps since 7 weeks, even in car would only do 30mins and pram even less.  Haven't tried pram for months as goes into cot really easily currently with bag, story, song and lovey in very dark room, he just seems to always wake at the 30-33 min mark.  I tied wake to sleep with not much success, would stir as he does on his own around 20/25mins but still woke most of the time, I tried holding through the jolts but again seemed to get frustrated by that and woke still! when very little I was often able to rock back to sleep but having a 2.5yr old around didn't get to do it that often!

Do you think he is undertired then, however, if keep him up 3hrs after 30min nap he still usually wakes at the 30min and can sometimes put himself back, may take 5-20mins or sometimes still awake after 30mins, every nap is different.  I aim for 3hr-3hr 30 waketimes between naps and sometimes has to be longer before bed as already gets up around 6:15-6:45 so don't put to bed earlier than 6:40. 
DD 21/05/2013
DS 18/05/2015

Offline lauradj

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 22:42:03 pm »
I do think he is under tired.  It may be that your little man has low sleep needs but I think the best plan is to hold his A time steady at 3.5hrs  for at least 5 days.  That will give him a chance to adapt to a new routine and hopefully settle in a bit  If not, we can plan a different course of action. 
Red cheeks are a sure sign of teething even if the teeth are not yet pushing up, so that will likely throw things off a bit.  Give him frozen wash clothes and appropriate pain meds and that will hopefully ease his discomfort.
When he wakes, day or night, do you go in right away or do you let him fuss for a bit?  I wonder if you're going in too quickly to try to soothe him back to sleep and thus are interrupting his ability to naturally fall back asleep?  Not sure, I'll wait to hear from you.

Offline amanda55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 10:40:18 am »
Hi thank you,

I haven't yet tried the 3.5 hrs in the morn properly although have today as he woke early at 6am (left till 7) and he fell straight asleep at 9:30 (he was up in the night for around an hour at 12:40). Does this still count as 3.5 activity time if left in bed for an hour till 7? He is still asleep and currently been asleep for 1hr 15 (think coz of wake up in night and early morn).

I don't go into him for naps or night as he usually doesn't fuss unless only had 2 30mins and the second 30mins if he doesn't fall back asleep he gets upset after about another 30mins, I would then go in and check nappy and take in car if only had the two short naps so gets a bit more sleep, otherwise hes left and hopefully will go back! 

At night don't go in as found didn't want feeding, hadn't dirtied nappy and wasn't crying so now leave.  He can be awake/half asleep groaning and fidgeting with teddy but doesn't cry just takes a while to go back to sleep!

I think something woke him this morn as I woke just before him and felt like a noise woke me, its very windy currently so something outside maybe.
DD 21/05/2013
DS 18/05/2015

Offline amanda55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:42:39 am »
Hello,

Still struggling with short naps, last few days one of them has been 30 mins and the other between 30-1hr 30max.  I have been keeping him up for 3.5 hours but with the short naps there is a longer A time in the day.  Yesterday woke at 10 and went back to sleep at 1:30 and had 1hr 30nap that is after a 30min morn nap as gets cranky if up a long time before bed but handles it better earlier in the day.

He is only having max 2hrs during the day and 10hr 45-11hr 15 over night approx.

He was doing 11 at night and 2-3hrs during a day when first started 2 naps a month or so ago, and the odd day he still manages 2 1+ sleeps but a mess at mo and cant plan days and last week was getting much earlier morning wakings.
DD 21/05/2013
DS 18/05/2015

Offline lauradj

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 04:15:44 am »
Do you want to post your newest EASY? I've forgotten when his bed time is.

Offline amanda55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 15:54:30 pm »
Tues:
W:6:10, awake but leave till 7, fell back asleep for 10mins at 6:50 until neighbours dog barked but I was just going to go in anyway (had pooed)
E: 7:15 milk, 8:15 breakfast
S:9:40 wasn't sure when to put down as when to class awake from! slept for 34mins, always leave if wakes early so gets rest time. looked like went back for 5 mins 20mins after woke then crying, went in, had pooed. up.
E: 11am milk, 12:30 dinner and rest of milk
S: 1:33 for an hour and 30mins, woke upset though, hadn't pooed, held in dark room till calm for 10 mins then brought down.
E: 4 tea, 6:20 milk
S: 6:50

Weds:
W: 6:35 again left as looked like wanted to go back but didn't, was happy laid quietly (no poo)
E: 7:10 milk, 8:20 breakfast
S: 9:55 for 35 mins, went in after 15mins to change nappy as presumed pooed but hadn't! changed in dark and left, cried then happy and quiet for 15/20mins then got him up as not going back!
E: 11:15 bit of milk, 12:15 dinner and rest of milk
S: 13:45 woke after 1hr 17 crying, (poo) took in car to try to extend but nothing
E: 4:15 tea, 6:20 milk
S: 7 (got upset when put down, nipped back and in then left, calmed self quite quickly but took about 30mins to go to sleep, maybe car journey to calming for him although didn't sleep?!)
Cried briefly last night at 12:30, 3:15 [looked at monitor and eyes open so presume awake for a bit] and grumbling at 6 but went back to sleep till his light came on at 7! No poo

Today:

W:7
E:7:15 milk, 8:30 breakfast
S: 10:15 for an hour and 5mins
E:12 dinner (out), 2 milk
S: 2:45 and still asleep after 1hr 10 will wake shortly to keep bedtime round same time.

Today a good day but maybe coz of unsettled night?
DD 21/05/2013
DS 18/05/2015

Offline lauradj

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 21:25:33 pm »
Hmmm, maybe it's time to try set naps?  I can see your LO is napping roughly when mine used to but I was desperate to get him lined up with his older brother's afternoon nap.  I stopped pushing out the morning nap and gave him a cat nap at 9:30am and then he had his second nap from 1-3:30ish.  I wasn't sure it would work but it did.  Right now my DS2's EASY looks like this:

WU: 6:30am
S: 9:30
WU: 10:15
S: 1pm
WU: 3:00/3:30
S: 6:45pm.

What do you think?

Offline amanda55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 10:04:05 am »
that would be amazing but never slept for 2.5hrs, longest done is 2hrs and that was only once after a half hour in morn.  After he morning nap if only has half an hour he usually manages 1hr 30 in the afternoon.

Yesterday was a good day, after waking from 1hr 5min nap at 11:15 he fell back asleep at 2:45 and I woke him at 4 to preserve bedtime.  Went to sleep at 7:15pm, didn't hear upset in the night but DD woke screaming (molars just about to break through) at 6am and he woke 5 mins later! left him till 6:45 then got him up.  Asleep at 9:40 this morn (whinging but thought best to keep up and spread naps through day).

Not sure about having the naps closer together as if doesn't have a long afternoon one it will be a long time till bed and that's the hardest awake time to keep him going, think he prefers that one to be his shortest wake time.

Do you think he would settle into a longer nap or not given that only done 2hrs once.
DD 21/05/2013
DS 18/05/2015

Offline lauradj

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 03:43:39 am »
To be honest, I was also worried about how the two naps would pan out, given the shorter time in between but it hasn't been an issue.  DS2 is awake for about 2hr and 45mins between the CN and his big nap and he is ZONKED by 1pm.  It sounds like yesterday worked out quite well.  Maybe try to stick with those naps for a few days and see how things go?

Offline amanda55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 10:20:51 am »
I think I need to pick what doing and stick to it as currently something different every day with regards to waketimes. 

Yesterday woke at 6:25
Asleep 9:50 for 30mins, for the next 30mins he tried to go back, twice he was still for ~5mins with eyes shut so had thought gone back but then eyes open and fidgeting again then still again but no same again. Got him up just after 11 (no poo).  I was out with DD for aft so hubby got him down in cot asleep at 1:40 (no fussing) and he only had 1hr 10 and woke really upset.  Obviously still tired but not sure why waking as hadn't pooed and hubby had been laid down on sofa so all was quiet in the house. was up from 2:50 so got to bed a little earlier and he was asleep at 6:35, cried a couple of times around 5:30-45 but back to sleep till 7.05.

This morning he seemed more tired than usual.  Took him for a walk in carrier to calm him, got back and when laid him down to change nappy he got upset, took up and put him to bed, asleep at 10:10 so just over 3hrs.  Have been doing 3.5. 

I'm not sure if overtired or undertired when waking as no poo, understand overtired if wakes crying which he has started doing quite often from afternoon nap if had a short morning but then he tries to go back at the morning one if only has 30mins so not sure there.  I think tiredness has built up as acts tired after only being up an hour or so rubbing eyes and yawning then can distract him but then doesn't do anything till gets a bit fussy, he did that this morn but was happy outside on walk looking round till got back in the house! Could it be that hes not physically tired as not crawling/scooting yet so just sits there! I do put him in jumperoo, try encouraging him to crawl, support him stood by toy box but he's happy just sat on floor with toys.

Bring on one nap, when do they drop to that approx.?

DD 21/05/2013
DS 18/05/2015

Offline lauradj

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 03:49:39 am »
The 2-1 transition can really vary depending on the child.  My first son was ready just before a year, my second will be a year in two weeks and he's still taking a morning CN, though I think he's almost ready to drop it.  Tracy suggest 18 months as the time most babies are ready, my niece and nephew did the 2-1 at 15 and 16 months respectively.  Sorry I can't give a more concrete answer on that front.  :)
So what do you think your plan moving forward will be?  Are you going to give set naps a try?  Do you want to keep fiddling around with his A times and pop back on with questions as necessary?  We're here to support you, whatever you choose.

Offline amanda55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 10:23:35 am »
My dd went to one nap around 13 months and although her naps were a bit hit and miss her nights were always good being 11.5 hours asleep around 7:30, awake 7ish, where as we seem all over the place with DS.

Yesterday did 1hr 25 in morn and 1hr in aft so a great day and woke happy from both.  3hrs awake from morn to nap 1 then 3hr 25 awake before nap 2 then 3hr 20 before bed so never went over 3hr 30 awake at one point.

Also took out for a walk in sling to shop before first nap so whether the quiet time before nap helped, we'll see today as asleep after 3hr 5 awake time.

The last few days aswell when woke at 7 hasn't pooed, so has pooed before nap which helps I think.  I just wish was a bit more reliable with the longer naps as seems to have 2 good days and 5 bad days at moment.

I did more set naps with DD but she was more consistent with her morning wake up.  It was approx. 7am up, 10ish nap, 3ish nap. 7:30 bed and she occasionally did the odd short nap but more like 45-55 mins so much better than 30mins! 

Will try the slightly shorter awake times for a couple of days.  I think I may have jumped to quickly going straight to 3.5 and maybe got a build up of overtiredness.

They are hard to figure out and seems like all friends children easily take longer naps in cot, pram or car and i'm struggling and DS is in cot in pitch black room with whitenoise!

He wont go in sling or pram as we use those during his awake times and would have to be a longer journey in car.

I realise this is also a good thing as DD was like this and friends would struggle getting home without kids passing out in car but its not great when want to go out for the day!!

Thank you for all the help and advice, really appreciate it, good soundboard, I feel like my days/nights are spent thinking about sleep!
DD 21/05/2013
DS 18/05/2015