Author Topic: 5mo awake time too short?  (Read 986 times)

Offline HungryHippo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 03, 2016, 18:39:45 pm »
Hello!  I have followed EASY for all 3 of my children - and it's seeming not so easy with my 3rd.  This is week 3 of catnaps and we're all cranky.

Our schedule today:
A 6:30
E 7 (Gets Nexium at 6:30 & has to wait)
S 8:30-9
A 9-12 (I kept him up as his mattress cover was in the wash)
E was 11:30
S 12-1:45 (His first good nap in 4 days!)
E 2
A 1:45-3:30
S 3:30-4 (his 3rd nap is always 45 or under)
E 5
Bath & 5:30, jammies, top off & asleep by 7.

He turned 5 mos 3 days ago.  He fusses when I bring him into his room for his nap wind down which is bouncing & shh'ing on the exercise ball.  For 3 weeks now he's woken right at 30min.  I've tried to reset him, did the pressure on his legs & back (he's my 1st tummy sleeper maybe because of his reflux which is controlled.)  After he wakes he rolls onto his back and hasn't learned to roll to his tummy and while I can bounce him back to sleep I can't put him in his crib without him waking& fussing onto his back.  Could it be his 1st awake time is too short?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:20:39 am by HungryHippo »

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 5mo awake time too short?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:48:33 am »
Hi there,
sorry to hear about these rough days. Hang in there!

Seems like you know what you're doing over there, but his routine might need a little tweaking. I feel like yes, maybe you could try extending that first nap some more. Maybe by 15 min for now? The reason I get this idea is that when you kept him up for 3h he slept so well. 3h right away might be too much, but 2h seems short as well. Fighting naps might be a sign of that.What do you think?

Sorry, I don't have much experience with reflux, but is there a reason for you guys using a bouncing ball? Does he like it?

Offline HungryHippo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 15:34:00 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply!  Yesterday morning I extended his morning awake time to 2:15 & he napped for 1:15!  He did wake up at the 30 min mark but went right back to sleep. 

The 2nd nap was a disaster.  I tried again for 2:15 & he woke at the 30 min mark but would not resettle and it made for a long day.  I have to hold him for e rest of the day when that happens.  His last catnap went as usual.  He went right to sleep at 6:30pm & slept until 6:50am.

I guess I'm wondering how long should I keep him awake when he doesn't resettle after the 30min naps and any other tips on resettling would be welcome.  He's so dang happy at that 30min mark - but will fall back asleep on me most of the time.  But I have a 21mo old & a 4yr old that stay home with me so I can't always have him nap on me.  He despises being worn.  He's so different from my first two and I'm at a loss!

Offline HungryHippo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 15:35:33 pm »
As for the bouncing ball - my 1st was hard to settle as a baby after 1 month and just by accident we realized she'd fall right asleep when we bounced gently on the exercise ball.  My 2nd was a rocker - loved being rocked to sleep.  This guy doesn't care to be rocked but does fall asleep when lightly bounced.

Offline Bella89

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 18:41:52 pm »
Oh, I get what you're saying now.

I remember when I had the same problem with DS. I was trying to resettle him for 20 min. If I knew he was too playful for renapping I kept him normal 2h 30 min and that discouraged short naps. But that was us. I knew he was able to do it, because he is rarely OT. Do you think he can do it?

Would he cry for you if you don't come in to resettle? I am not too good in resettling. I've always tried just doing whatever I did during PD but sometimes it just didn't work. I won't be much help, but maybe someone else has some ideas?

Offline HungryHippo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 18:53:05 pm »
Yes - I'm feeling better about it today.  For about a week I let him too long to resettle and he ended up nuclear and now I think he has a slight aversion to being put in his crib - unless it's for bedtime and he's too exhausted to battle me.  This might be a separate thread topic but I'm wondering if there are any good ideas to make his crib a happy place again. 

Offline Bella89

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 11:50:39 am »
I know what you're saying. When DS was about 4mo I was trying to resettle him up to 40 min. No good thing came out of this.I think 15 min is enough to figure out whether they want to go back to sleep or not.

I know there is a controversy about whether to let LO's play in the crib or not, but it's one way to go. I don't leave DS in a crib to play, but sometimes I put him in and play hide and seek. I lay on the flor and jump up. He laughs till out of breath:) Good work out too! ;p
Or I put some teddy bears in and he throws them out, and I throw them back in but really high :)

I hope I helped a little.
I'm glad you feel better hugs